NGD - OMG!!!

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
edited March 2017 in Acoustics
So, I decided to get myself a really nice acoustic as a belated 50th pressie. Played a lot of Martins and Collings but ended up getting a Santa Cruz OM Grand from Ivor Mairants. Basically, it's an OM with a fat arse. And it's fookin lovely. Warm and big and lush and clear with a gorgeous neck (with binding - which I much prefer). I'm a lousy player (though I hope to improve) so feel somewhat undeserving - but then again life is short and I don't own a car or drink or buy golf sticks. It's really a lovely thing and I feel quite privileged to have it. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Happy belated birthday!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    Ah, that was you then :-)

That was a lovely instrument and no mistake, congrats 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    Ah, that was you then :-)

That was a lovely instrument and no mistake, congrats 
    Thanks. Yes, I'm really chuffed with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

notanon said:
    Happy belated birthday!
    Thanks!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    It's never too early - or too late - to have a really good acoustic.

I bought a Martin 12-string when I could barely play. Nearly thirty years later I've still got it - and I can still barely play, but in a more controlled way so at least it sounds nice :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Even an open D chord sounds better on a decent guitar. Enjoy it! 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    Happy belated birthday and how about some pics of the Santa Cruz.
    Thanks all. Pics? Well I need to grasp that web hosting nettle....but yes I will. Although, tbh it looks like ...a spruce acoustic.
    edited May 2017

• LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    Sounds awesome (another call for pics).

As others have said, a fine instrument will give you the best possible chance of improving as a player through both playability and inspiration, so don't worry about notions of worthiness. If makers like SCGC, Bourgeois, Collings etc only sold to the deserving, they wouldn't exist :)
    Lewy said:

As others have said, a fine instrument will give you the best possible chance of improving as a player through both playability and inspiration, so don't worry about notions of worthiness. If makers like SCGC, Bourgeois, Collings etc only sold to the deserving, they wouldn't exist :)

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. Funny thing is, after spending a massive wedge on the guitar, I enquired about the Santa Cruz own brand strings. Turns out they're 18 quid a pack....and I'm more bothered about paying that for strings than paying the price of the guitar.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427

That's a lovely guitar. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't help you advance your acoustic playing.

I was a more than competent electric player but a lousy acoustic player. That has changed dramatically since getting an Atkin OM four years ago. A great acoustic guitar makes all the difference.

Enjoy!

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    that is awesome, nice GAS. I bought my nice acoustic when I'd only been playing a few years and not once has it ever judged me on my lack of playing ability.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    jellyroll said:

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. Funny thing is, after spending a massive wedge on the guitar, I enquired about the Santa Cruz own brand strings. Turns out they're 18 quid a pack....and I'm more bothered about paying that for strings than paying the price of the guitar.
    Especially when D'Addarios only cost a third of that and even DRs are only a little over half.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys.
    ICBM said:
    jellyroll said:

Especially when D'Addarios only cost a third of that and even DRs are only a little over half.

It's the parabolic tension that add to the cost. You can only get it from sustainable sources....

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/scgc-strings/

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Just bought myself a Taylor after 30 years on and off, mostly off, strangling an Epiphone dreadnaught. I now love playing both and am practicing more than ever which means I am now just above incompetent. Enjoy your new guitar, it looks lovely.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    jellyroll said:
    Lewy said:

I enquired about the Santa Cruz own brand strings. Turns out they're 18 quid a pack....and I'm more bothered about paying that for strings than paying the price of the guitar.
    yeah JR, quality engorged 'OM's' are super versatile - delicate fingerpicking to strident session / jam playing, all the dynamics are there. I got a Bourgie JOM in the '90's mainly for gigging though it can be subtle as well.
    What depth is the grand ? the JOM is Dread size - 4 7/8.
    Good instruments should be having the effect  -"come on big boy - is that all u can do - cause I can do a lot more"  stretching u as a player  =).
    give it a few years of good playing (all over the neck) and u'll pick it up one day and it'll hit u - sonic fulfillment <3
    happy pickin
    I was actually weighing up the Santa Cruz against a Bourgeois (not a JOM, a smaller model). The Bourgeois was lovely and appealed to me as smaller sweeter guitar. In the end I went for the bigness of the SC OMG but I might well have gone home with a Bourgeois JOM if they'd had one. The body doesn't seem that deep on the SC, I think the extra size over the OM is in the width rather than the depth.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited March 2017
    Ah - ok, I dont mind a 'big bottom', on a guitar - I rest my r/h upper arm on the lower bout so my picking hand falls over the soundhole smaller L/B guitars are awkward for me to play
    heres the dynamics of the Bourgeois (cheap mic 'n noise 'n all)
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdGXIRSibo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulqYgJG-T6g

ah - forgot to mention SC strings - there was a GREAT to do over the pond when they came out - simply, there elitist / exclusive  product that some people drool over -  read, accountants / dentists / lawyers being the target market.
    I suspect them to have been avalible previously but now re branded and given exclusivity in price and marketing blurb  - I mean - built in PARABOLIC EQ - WHAT, WTF.
    Naa - DR Rares and Newtone Masterclass - on my guitars thanks.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom