Line 6 M5 delays not as good as I remember :/

What's Hot
gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
Had been putting together a "B" pedalboard with some left over scraps and was intending to use the Line 6 M5 for delay duties.

I remember distinctly rather liking the Anologue w/mod model and was quite prepared not to be blown away with the results of my new B board as long as it performed adiqutiley 

I'm afraid to say that it didn't even do that. The analogue w/mod is still the pick of the bunch but pretty much all the other delay models sound like plastic.

The Tape Echo model is an exceptional let down now I've returned to it. 

I still love the 63 Spring Reverb however and the M5 might manage to keep a place on the board for that alone

So am I missing something here or have my tastes just gotten more expensive? I think I can see an el Cap on my horizon...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    It'll takes up a lot of space on your board for one sound...
    i felt it as a fun pedal for modulation, but didn't get on much with the drive tones or delays.  Is the firmware all up to date?
  • TheMarlin said:
    i felt it as a fun pedal for modulation, but didn't get on much with the drive tones or delays.  Is the firmware all up to date?
    That's a good point about firmware. I'm not actually sure, will check it later 

I do REALLY like that Reverb though and it's only marginally bigger than a Holy Grail.... besides if I start making space on my board I'll have to fill it with expensive goodies!

hmmm maybe an el Cap and a Gral Neo would hit the spot better 
  • Ahh apparently there are no updates
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    In a weird way I always thought the delays sounded better on the M9. Same algorithms I'm sure, but I think it was something to do with the signal path. The M5 seemed to make the dry signal dull when it was engaged.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    TheMarlin said:
    I've sold mine now, but when I had it I used to use the tuner on the M5 rather than have a separate tuner pedal.  Used that way it's quite good on space.

I did find I was only using 3 or 4 sounds though.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I love the lo-fi delays on the M5, and some of the tremolo sounds too. The subdivision control is great, particularly for triplet delays and dotted note trem.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    TheMarlin said:
    Annoyingly the firmware has never been updated by Line 6. The delays still give a slight volume boost which really annoys me.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I got an m5 to use as a delay and didn't really like it compared to an obscura or flashback
  • I ended up buying an El Capistan from a forum member and it arrived last night.

First impressions are pretty good. Sounded good as soon as I plugged it in. Spent time playing rather than time fiddling and feeling frustrated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    One of my memories of my M9 was when using an expression pedal with the delays the result was quite stepped rather than a smooth transition. The other was the anger (well, high level annoyance) on their own forum that Line 6 had abandoned the M series so quickly in terms of offering any updates. I'd bought mine used but it doesnt make me feel positive about buying expensive tech from the company (not that I'm that likely to anyway, but if I was). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • One of my memories of my M9 was when using an expression pedal with the delays the result was quite stepped rather than a smooth transition. The other was the anger (well, high level annoyance) on their own forum that Line 6 had abandoned the M series so quickly in terms of offering any updates. I'd bought mine used but it doesnt make me feel positive about buying expensive tech from the company (not that I'm that likely to anyway, but if I was). 
    To be fair I own a Helix and the support from Line 6 has been nothing short of tremendous. Literally setting new benchmarks for product support
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Weird, I loved the delays on mine - especially the lo res, analogue and digital ones. The low res was particularly excellent, and I've not found anything quite like it since. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I guess it's all taste. I really like the M5. I've spent a lot of time with it & it
    feels dialled in now. I have a flashback as a secondary delay too.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited April 2017
    Who uses the M5 with an expression pedal and does it make it more usable?
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    The only thing I like about the M5 was the Wah emulation with my old Boss expression pedal. Otherwise it's a noisy piece of cack.
    Don't touch that dial.