Tremelo pedal

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
edited March 2017 in FX
Really like the tone this lady gets for How Soon Is Now ?

Would a Mooer Trellicopter be able to do that ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great lesson! That's definitely getting learnt.
    I got a pretty close sound on a sawtooth wave with the depth maxed.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    That's a cool way of playing that song, I like it. 

The trem she's using is a TR-2, you'd get one of those for less than £50 quite easily. I'm fairly sure the Mooer will do that too - that sound is just a high trem depth, basically. 
    Although if you're going to do it you might as well do it properly...  This is an extract from "The Smiths: The Songs That Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard. Highly recommended for all Smiths fans, especially anyone who plays an instrument. 

"The compelling effect in question was achieved without the aid of samplers or digital simulators, but manually on traditional analogue equipment. The first step involved taking a basic rhythm guitar part, which had been recorded as a 'dry' DI (direct-input) take without any effects. Porter was already in the habit of taping a safety DI guitar track for every Smiths recording in case needed to alter or manipulate the sound at a later point in the mixing process. The song's texture was further enhanced by Porter's employment of noise gates and the same dry guitar track fed through a quarter note delay signal. 'I had all these combinations which were pretty much all the same guitar but through various faders', says Porter, 'each with slightly different sounds on. It was a combination of all these things'. 

THis dry guitar pattern was next relayed to four Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers, each with its own vibrato tremolo switch. As Marr's plain rhythm was played back through the speakers, Porter and Marr controlled the vibrato on one pair of amplifiers apiece to create the swampy, shuddering texture required. Whenever their tremolo slipped out of sync, the recording was stopped, the tape spun back and recommenced, sometimes recording in bursts of only ten seconds at a time." 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Wow. I did always wonder how that song was recorded - turns out all I need is four twins.

The book sounds like a good read, I shall check it out.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    Wow. I did always wonder how that song was recorded - turns out all I need is four twins.

The book sounds like a good read, I shall check it out.

---it's a great book. There's also one called "Revolution In The Head" by Ian Mcdonald which is about your each Beatles song was recorded. Goddard quite openly took his inspiration for the Smiths book from it. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    That's a cool way of playing that song, I like it. 

The trem she's using is a TR-2, you'd get one of those for less than £50 quite easily. I'm fairly sure the Mooer will do that too - that sound is just a high trem depth, basically. 
    Cheers.

I'm NOT getting 4 Twin Reverbs !!!! ;)

Feedback
    That woman's Smiths tutorials are great by the way - she's done quite a lot of them and they're all very clear. That's my practice for the next month sorted. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Blagged a £50 TR2 off ebay BIN

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Blagged a £50 TR2 off ebay BIN

Nice. I had an Empress but flogged it and bought a Tr-2. I'm just as happy tone-wise but now I've got a pocketful of cash too. :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Never had a TR2 but I've long thought the argument for them is Jimmie Vaughan. £thousands on boutique amps and signature guitars. One pedal only- the humble Boss TR2.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I've had many a £200 trem and not been satisfied but I love my TR-2.