Wisdom Teeth

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    Oragel.  Or... ring NHS direct for an emergency dentist number... or.. go up A&E and wait for 18 hours.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    I still have ALL of mine.........in a little box under the sink
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Still got mine at 30. They've never given me any trouble luckily, hopefully it stays that way. However my molars are screwed. Filling in every molar. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Update here - currently in amazing amounts of pain with my wisdom tooth. It's clearly infected and the antibiotics given to me by the dentist are not working.

Had my x-rays at the hospital walk in clinic the day after my dentist apt (5th Apr) and the x-ray lady commented on the one causing pain being badly impacted and the other side on the lower jaw looking like it would cause a problem soon too..

The earliest I can been at the hospital is 16th June - which will most likely be a 30 second consultation for them to say "yes they need to come out you're going to go on the waiting list"

Spoken to the hospital who had a cancellation for this Friday at 9am - perfect. Only to be called back ten minutes later to be told it's the wrong type of appointment and they can't actually see me.

So I'm currently taking a ridiculous amounts of pain killers which are no longer touching the sides, clearly have an infection around the area of my wisdom tooth and am genuinely finding it difficult to function normally due to the pain being caused.

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Go and find a local, private dentist who can do it quickly. It'll cost a bit more, but it'll be worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    That's what I'd do too. Will cost alot but stick it on the credit card and have done with it. Rather be in a few hundred quids worth of debt than 4 weeks of unbearable pain. 

Just been up to Poole A&E (which was recommended to me by the woman at Bournemouth hospital) who have advised as it's infected they can't do anything, just keep taking the painkillers and go see your GP for a different set of antibiotics.

Also had a massive lecture on how not to overdose on Paracetamol.

Well I've just taken some Co-codamol which makes me feel very sick and drunk - so if I start posting really random stuff in a bit I do apologise.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Man I feel sorry for you. I know it's not life threatening but the NHS should be better than this really.

Yep this morning I was going to suggest seeing the GP (but was afraid to as it sounds a bit condescending).  Wonder how much a private extraction costs...

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Wisdom teeth bah...they're not big and they're not clever.

Update Time !

Had my consultation at the hospital around a month ago who advised as predicted "yes they need to come out go on the waiting list". Got a letter stating 18th August is the day. Even though both were impacted on the lower jaw they were only going to remove the one causing the problem (the lower left).

This week however the lower right has started causing me grief and became infected ending up with an abscess the size of a marble on my gum. If I thought I was in pain before this time it was something else.

Trip to emergency dentist who confirmed the tooth wasn't decayed it's just where the wisdom tooth is coming through causing the gum to press up against my molars and the trapped bits of food are causing the infection. Had some kind of an injection, he prodded around and did something that really hurt then gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin.

Pain was so bad and the abscess was so big I couldn't talk properly so ended up taking yesterday as a sick day (something I've not had to do in years). the abscess popped of it's own according in the afternoon and the relief of pressure was insane. Also it smelled really bad.

I've now got to ring the hospital and ask them to take both the lower ones out on the day save having to go in twice - I do wonder if they will agree to do that.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I had a dentist with DTs when I was young, and deep fissures which needed filling. I was always scared, and still get nervous. This meant I didn't go to a dentist for 20 years, and I feel quite lucky that 20 years of neglect only led to 2 extractions and a small filling.

Fingers crossed for the rest of my life.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.

Finally had one of the offending Wisdom Teeth out on Friday.

Very quick procedure. Felt no pain just a bit of pressure and then a massive crack. Got to take my tooth home as a souvenir.

Fair bit of pain once the anaesthetic wore off and still quite sore and swollen.

The other one will need to be taken out under a general as it's lying on it's side and is very close to the nerve plus some bone needs to be removed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    gubble said:

Got to take my tooth home as a souvenir.

You know someone's gonna ask for JPEGs, right:)

But seriously, glad you're finally getting some attention. Can't believe it's taken this long...