Ownhammer Core Tone Bundle (Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa IR package)

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
I've been using this pack the last few days and I honestly think this is the best starting point for anyone interested in using IRs.

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=180&products_id=403  ;

Included cabs and speakers:

Fender Deluxe Reverb with Fane AXA-12
Vox AC30 with Celestion Alnico Blue
Marshall 1982B (tall 4x12) with two different examples of 75hz M25 Greenbacks
Mesa 4x12 with two different examples of Mesa V30 speakers

Here's an overview video by Jon Symons (who does excellent Fractal and Helix demos on his channel)

Here are two using the Recitifer 4x12, first with the Axe FX 2

And secondly with a Helix

The price is currently $29.99, less if you've bought enough OH IRs to get frequency discounts.  Honestly I think that is crazy value for money.  This is the first pack I'm aware of where the included IRs are also available separately (the other multi cab bundles contain exclusive content) but it is cheaper to get the bundle than to buy these packs individually.  It covers the 4 core sounds really well IMO, and it can be as simple (using the quick start folder) or as complex (using the individual mics) as you like.

Note that the IRs in this pack were originally released March 2017 (dates noted on the individual pages) and are different in content to earlier released packs of the same speaker.  Having bought a lot of Mesa 4x12 IRs over the past couple of years (including all the ones OH has put out in the past 18 months) I honestly think the V70B is my favourite for getting that huge Recto sound.  I'd still pick the Heavy Hitters pack if you're a straight up high gainer, but if you're the type who wants to cover the broad tonal bases from clean to modern gain this is a great IR pack.

Anyone else tried it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7405
    Yeah I saw this - was a bit bummed because I'd just bought the Vox Duo Pack and the Deluxe Reverb Pack (both excellent) but would have bought this (cheaper) pack if it had been available. I think it's a great 'cover many bases' option 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Looks and sounds great mate! Cheers for the heads up! 
  • TimmyO said:
    Yeah I saw this - was a bit bummed because I'd just bought the Vox Duo Pack and the Deluxe Reverb Pack (both excellent) but would have bought this (cheaper) pack if it had been available. I think it's a great 'cover many bases' option 

Yeah I also got the Vox Duo pack recently, it has a lot more stuff in it in fairness.  There are 4 speakers each of the two cabs whereas the Vox in the core tone pack is just the Blue.  The Blue in the Duo pack is a vintage 60s one whereas the Blue in the core tone pack is a 90s one, so they're different speakers too.

If you already had the Deluxe Reverb Fane Speaker pack I think you can contact Ownhammer and ask if they'll give you a discount on the Core Tone bundle.
    Yep I've sent them a message (just now as this thread reminded me) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I wish I understood this......
    I have a Helix and know I should buy this pack but I havn't got a clue what you are meant to do
    Does this give you a whole ready built sound /bundle of sounds or are you just buying the speaker response to put on top of your own sounds ?
    I assume you download it into the Helix unit once you have paid 
    do you have to hook up the Helix to PC/mac and do you need special software or App to enable this
    Sorry I am a technospaz
  • Hi @Dominic ;

This pack just contains speaker impulse responses for use in patches you create.  There's no need to buy it if you already like the sounds you are getting but if you do buy it you get the files to load it in using the Helix software when it is connected up to the computer.  I'm not a Helix user (I have an Axe FX) but this video might be helpful for you.

If you need more help from Helix users there's a really good thread here, lots of members are using them now - 
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/43521/line-6-helix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Thats really helpful @guitarfishbay ......thanks very much indeed 
    I think it's the generally accepted wisdom that these IRs are better than Helix standard models 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I admit im very back level when it comes to IR's. I still use the sneap set. Are the ownhammer ones a step up?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I've never used the Sneap ones. Of the brands I've tried I like Ownhammer the best when you consider all factors (tone, ease of use, price).
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I'v got that pack as well but also bought celestion's creamback IRs  (directly from celestion) and they are simply stunning! Highly recommended!
    Do you think that there is mileage in taking a DI from a real amp and putting it through some IR's as a way of auditioning speakers? Do you think it would give a reasonable ball park etimate without having to buy the actual speaker?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Do you think that there is mileage in taking a DI from a real amp and putting it through some IR's as a way of auditioning speakers? Do you think it would give a reasonable ball park etimate without having to buy the actual speaker?
    it'll tell you how a mic in a specific location on the speaker will sound, but not how it will sound in a room I'd have thought 

Red ones are better. 
    We IEM currently so might not be as non-representative as you'd think.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2017
    If you're comparing mic'd sounds then sure. It'd be better if it was a reactive load box being used to get the amp sound if possible

The OH Recto 2x12 pack sounds so representative of my own cab that I abandoned making my own IRS of it. He's clearly got a nicer room than I'd be micing in plus more mics