GigRig Bespoke Pedalboard Service

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited March 2017 in FX
Hi there,

Having just bought a Quartermaster QMX6 to control my pedalboard and ease things for live use, and already being a GigRig Generator owner for many years, I've been speaking to GigRig who've kindly designed a Pedal Path Diagram for me with the add-ons (Distributors, Isolators etc) and I noticed they also provide various levels of pedal board service and can also wire everything up for you.

I know it's not rocket science, but ordering the right sized leads and/or making them, getting it all to work efficiently, re-velcroing pedals, introducing their modular system add-ons etc just leaves me cold and so this service quite appeals to my lazy/technophobe nature. Turnaround is about a week and you get a face to face consultation and final trial to ensure you're happy.

Anyone here used this services or had anything similar done by the company?

Thanks

Edit:also wondering if a used AX8 or FX8 might be a better way to go but I love my pedals and it's taken a while to find the right ones for me and the ones that work well together.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Sounds a bit like Cocaine - one of god's ways of telling you you have too much money :)

Especially as after 2 weeks most of us will be giving OD2 the evil eye after spotting something shiny online and considering changing everything around to accommodate...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sounds like a great solution to a touring act, where you have a very specific need and a definite board build in mind, but for us mere mortals seems a bit overkill. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I imagine it'd be a fun day out, but it's nothing you couldn't do yourself. I also suspect it'd be bastard expensive! Would love to know what they'd charge to do my board.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    I can assure you I'm neither loaded or a pro musician. Just got a well-stocked pedal board that I need to save on a bit of tap-dancing.

@GavRichList - Yep, I could probably do it myself but I'm crap at that. For me, this is just a couple of hours work at the most coming in at £35 p/h including the consultation,and so nothing extortionate here. An average hourly rate for luthiers/repairers to take on electrical work in London is £40-50.

There are some people here using the more involved G2 and other switching systems and if you look at some of the pedalboards around on here, they're pretty involved.

I just wanted to hear from people that might have used them or have systems from them.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I would pay someone. It has taken a year almost to finish everything on my board including waiting for cables, board, power solutions etc. I just don't have the time let alone play. If had the extra money, I would have happily paid custom pedalboards or Gigrig themself to set up my board. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Today's video on that pedal show should illustrate the work and time involved in preparing a decent pedalboard. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    I'm going to get a Lambourghini .......and then pay somebody to drive it for me
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Building boards, or at least arranging them to get the sounds I like, is part of the fun for me. I'm not touring the world and have the time to do it, but if I was I guess it's something I'd consider. That hourly rate quoted above seems entirely reasonable to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28144
    simonk said:
    Building boards, or at least arranging them to get the sounds I like, is part of the fun for me. I'm not touring the world and have the time to do it, but if I was I guess it's something I'd consider. That hourly rate quoted above seems entirely reasonable to me.
    I agree with all of this. I'm a builder more than a player, but for someone who wants to have a well built board that they can just get on with using, I don't think £35 an hour (and a sensible agreed number of hours!) is entirely reasonable on both sides.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Dominic said:
    I'm going to get a Lambourghini .......and then pay somebody to drive it for me
    This is not a good analogy though, is it? KK is taking his Lamborghini for a Tune Up, these guys are the Mechanics, not the Drivers.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They say 10 hours for a small G2 board at £35 an hour.  I was tempted to get it done properly without messy leads and stuff I wouldn't have patience to do.  I found them incredibly slow to get back to me (in fact I am still waiting) so I saved having to drive to the hell hole that is Swindon and did it myself. It is messy though :smirk: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I made mydangriffiths said:
    They say 10 hours for a small G2 board at £35 an hour.  I was tempted to get it done properly without messy leads and stuff I wouldn't have patience to do.  I found them incredibly slow to get back to me (in fact I am still waiting) so I saved having to drive to the hell hole that is Swindon and did it myself. It is messy though :smirk: 

Making my own wooden pedal board and making soldered  patch cables took way less than 10hrs. Maybe 3 possibly 4.

Do they program the G2 as well?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    simonk said:
    I enjoy it too. It's the guitarist's version of Lego!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28144
    They say 10 hours for a small G2 board at £35 an hour.
    In which case, fuck 'em. That's ridiculous.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I made mydangriffiths said:
    They say 10 hours for a small G2 board at £35 an hour.  I was tempted to get it done properly without messy leads and stuff I wouldn't have patience to do.  I found them incredibly slow to get back to me (in fact I am still waiting) so I saved having to drive to the hell hole that is Swindon and did it myself. It is messy though :smirk: 

Making my own wooden pedal board and making soldered  patch cables took way less than 10hrs. Maybe 3 possibly 4.

Do they program the G2 as well?
    Yep but to be honest that was the most fun bit. 

Reason I was looking was that I was sick of weekends where I didn't play I just ended up tweaking the rig playing the same riffs and getting a headache. 

I had never done any cable making, G2 programming or GigRig power supply stuff before and it took me 4 hours. I know how it all works too which is worth it 

As I said they would have done the perfect job but they seemed oddly reluctant to take my money.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    so I saved having to drive to the hell hole that is Swindon 

Oi!
    Red ones are better. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Hang on, they're in Swindon? How can we not be certainly Dan isn't actually Andy Partridge in disguise!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    BBBlues said:
    Hang on, they're in Swindon? How can we not be certainly Dan isn't actually Andy Partridge in disguise!
    Because Partridge resides in Norwich 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited April 2017
    BBBlues said:
    Because Partridge resides in Norwich 
    You'd be referring to Alan! The Andy variety, who resides in Swindon, is a little niche though!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    I've been tempted to use their service on occasions when I can't get my head around wiring up my board for certain functions etc. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/