GigRig Bespoke Pedalboard Service

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Kebabkid said:
    Thanks @Teetonetal and that's what I'll do today.

Oh, anyone know where custom pedalboards are based and is that also a face to face service?
    Website says North Wales. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you ever want to move on your EA plugs @saint_ivey give me a shout ? Forever an opportunist me lol
    Ha ha. Yes, no problem. I have about 90 of them but they're all in use at the moment. 

• Kebabkid said:
    @saint_ivey - thanks for your comments and insight.
    Mmm...starting to feel slightly polarised but for balance, I'll speak to Chris at Custom Pedalboards as well
    Presuming GigRig get the issues sorted, my final verdict will be; I'm pleased I did it but with hindsight I wouldn't do it again. Instead I'd go direct to CPB. 

• Kebabkid said:
    Thanks @Teetonetal and that's what I'll do today.

Oh, anyone know where custom pedalboards are based and is that also a face to face service?
    I don't intend to sound negative, I'm just trying to be realistic so I felt the GigRig face-to-face was honestly nothing special. Joe, who does this side of things, was very friendly but basically he just took the board I'd built, laid all the pedals on the floor in various layouts, asked which I preferred & then measured the outline to get a board size. This was then sent to CPB to make the board. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    octatonic said:
    I've built a couple of pedalboards for people charged at around £30 an hour.
    If you are making cables up precisely to fit the board then it is quite time consuming.

I did a G2 board for someone just after they were released and it was a 2 day job at around 6 hours a day but with a bit of faffing about.
    I charged for 10 hours IIRC.
    I can make cables up at less precise lengths a hell of a lot quicker. but when you are measuring down to an exact fit you need to be pretty precise- there is a lot of measuring and double checking.

I thought about trying to make it a bit of a bigger business rather than doing a few one-off builds but decided it wasn't going to be busy enough to warrant creating a website and then advertising it etc.

I used Evidence Audio cables on all 3 of my boards & I'm pretty anal about it being exact. It really didn't take long at all & is almost impossible to get wrong. 

So, solderless cables then?

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    If you ever want to move on your EA plugs @saint_ivey give me a shout ? Forever an opportunist me lol
    Ha ha. Yes, no problem. I have about 90 of them but they're all in use at the moment. 
    Blimey 90? That's some pedal board and expense you've laid out @saint_ivey ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've just used them for my large board build. Some comments:
    * doing it yourself is easy, even if you have no previous experience 
    * I can't see why it takes as long as they say. I wired the same pedals on my Pedaltrain board myself in half the time & I'm no expert. 
    * In my opinion £35 per hour is overpriced. You can get a highly skilled tradesman for £10 less.
    * I went to them as I wanted a once for all job & wanted to see if I'd missed anything or should consider something else. I also wanted a board with a flightcase. It turns out I hadn't missed anything and they didn't raise anything new. 
    * The board was returned to them today because there were some issues with the work they did. Once these have been rectified I will be very happy.
    * overall they do a reasonable job but it's nothing you can't do yourself and you pay an extremely high price for what you get in return.
    * my advice would be to go directly to Custom Pedalboards and speak to Chris. He is extremely helpful and it will save you a lot of money. The GigRig basically just act as a middle man, buying the case from Custom Pedalboards & then charging a lot to wire it. 
    * Dan from GigRig appears to be a bit of a genius and has wired many pro musician's boards. However he does not wire the boards for general customers himself. 

This last point I think is key.

I love the product, and couldn't be happier with the whole thing. Chris at Custompedalboards was great, if I didn't want to wire it - I think I'd likely go with him.

I have completely enjoyed wiring it, and it really is the easiest thing.

Joe at Gigrig has been very helpful - but he's not Dan, and when I had a small programming issue last week (entirely just me learning how to set it up) - whilst he pointed me in the right direction, I ended up on Google - it takes a certain skill to explain something you know inside out to a beginner, and I didn't quite get taken on the journey (trying to be polite!).

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    @Kebabkid if you don't fancy doing it, why not send the info to @CustomPedalBoards too and ask for a quote?
    That's what I did, mainly as GigRig never picked up the phone. (Might have been NAMM, can't remember)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Cheers for the positive comments guys. 
    @Kebabkid if ur sending me an email I wont be answering it till next Mon when I get back from hols. But whatever it is your wanting to do it will give u abit of time to plan it out etc, speak soon. 
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Thanks Chris @CustomPedalBoards and I've just composed one but haven't sent it. It's all planned out but I'll hold fire until next week.

Many thanks
  • @hotpickups : That's not just one board. That's my main big board, my smaller practice board and also my acoustic board. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I've built a couple of pedalboards for people charged at around £30 an hour.
    If you are making cables up precisely to fit the board then it is quite time consuming.

I did a G2 board for someone just after they were released and it was a 2 day job at around 6 hours a day but with a bit of faffing about.
    I charged for 10 hours IIRC.
    I can make cables up at less precise lengths a hell of a lot quicker. but when you are measuring down to an exact fit you need to be pretty precise- there is a lot of measuring and double checking.

I thought about trying to make it a bit of a bigger business rather than doing a few one-off builds but decided it wasn't going to be busy enough to warrant creating a website and then advertising it etc.

I used Evidence Audio cables on all 3 of my boards & I'm pretty anal about it being exact. It really didn't take long at all & is almost impossible to get wrong. 

So, solderless cables then?

Yes. Soldered cables would take a lot longer but the GigRig use Evidence Audio pretty much exclusively. I have to say that the EA cables are the best I've ever used and apart from the very first time I put together a cable & made one error, they've never failed. You can make an EA cable to the exact length in about 2 minutes.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I'll wire your board for the right price
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @pmg but I have 2 sources I'm looking at OR may source the add-ons from here, brave it and go it alone OR may ditch the whole thing and go Fractal. It's slightly frustrating at the moment.

Cheers
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    @kebabkid no problem.  Hope your finished solution is great
    Cheers pmg
    Can I also ask, any people here with 7-10 pedals (9 volters) and nothing with a juicy draw but say the occasional one with 300-500mA, what are you using to power these and getting round that many outputs etc?

Seen the Cioks and Voodoo power supplies ones. Any recommendations?
  • Kebabkid said:
    Can I also ask, any people here with 7-10 pedals (9 volters) and nothing with a juicy draw but say the occasional one with 300-500mA, what are you using to power these and getting round that many outputs etc?

Seen the Cioks and Voodoo power supplies ones. Any recommendations?
    I used to use Voodoo Labs - always good but tried the Strymon Zuma and has more current and flexibility. Pricey though
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    You can split some of the outs for drives which are low current.
    You can split some of the outs for drives which are low current.
    Excuse my ignorance @Winny_Pooh, but how so?