New Oil City challenge for a Feline custom ....

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
edited March 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

Jonathan from @FelineGuitars was on the phone to me a while back and asked me to design a rather unusual pickup, the result is what you see above. This had to be one of the most unusual jobs I've been called upon to do, so I thought I'd share.

The conversation went along these lines: 'I've got this customer who I'm building a LP style guitar for ... I need a bridge and neck pickup that are both tapped ... I want the flat out sound to be P90, and the tapped sound to be meaty Telecaster ... both in humbucker cases ... oh, and as the guitarist is primarily a banjo player ... I want them to be five string!'

Well here we have the beasts ... the bridge pickup features a steel inner base-plate to give that Tele bite, and goes from 6.5k to around 10k in P90 mode. The neck pickup goes from 5.8k to 9k. 

Everything about these is custom ... from the hand cut bridge baseplate to the CAD designed, one off flatwork. 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited March 2017
    5 string? Wat

Impressive work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Crumbs - very wow.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    They look great and it sounds a very interesting concept. 5 string a tad weird though!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    We're going to need sound clips
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    tFB Trader
    I believe it's going to spend most of its time tuned to open G for slide and Keith Richards style stuff :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/90793/feline-guitars-customer-builds-updates#latest
    I have written a bit about it in one of my custom builds for customers threads

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blimey, that's a bit special. 

I love this. @FelineGuitars don't suppose you have a linky? Love to read up specifics! 

Great work Ash :) 
    tFB Trader

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I suspect that neither guitar nor pickups will have mass market appeal, that said it's marvellous that such idiosyncratic requests can be fulfilled- it speaks volumes for the skills & knowledge within this week community. 

Good show guys. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    tFB Trader
    I suspect that neither guitar nor pickups will have mass market appeal, that said it's marvellous that such idiosyncratic requests can be fulfilled- it speaks volumes for the skills & knowledge within this week community. 

Good show guys. 
    I have made quite a few Oil City 'Big Block' pickups in the past ... the seem quite popular, though not obviously in five string lol. The whole Idea is to be able to supply pretty much any single coil design you fancy in a humbucker case: so far I have done 'Rick' Hi Gain style, Strat, Tele, Dynasonic .... etc etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    I do like that headstock treatment.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I do like that headstock treatment.
    We hd fun thinking what to do and this layout worked the best while keeping our traditional headstock , although slimmed down a bit. It's comfy and it works and the heart inlay motif was thinking along banjo embellishment lines