Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I want a phaser but can't justify £80 on a phase 90

What's Hot
d8md8m Frets: 2431
edited February 2014 in FX
What do we think of this? 

I could have both this and the tremolo for 2/3 the cost of a phase 90.

Or when it comes to phasers is the phase 90 the only way to go..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No. Get the Mooer Ninety Orange instead - stunning little pedal. The vintage mode is absolutely indistinguishable from an old script-logo Phase 90. Modern mode is more like the EVH phaser.

Sure, it's more expensive than the Joyo, but it's much much better.
    <space for hire>
  • If you are patient and wait for a used Digitech Hardwire SP-7 to pop up, it's an excellent sub £100 phaser.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited February 2014

Phase90, it's the only option.

Note:- I might be slightly biased as its my favourite pedal.

If you're unsure as to whether you'll like phase, get a cheap one, decide, then get a P90.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I have one of those, it's a cracking sounding phaser.

I'd be tempted to swap for a more extreme, modern sounding modulation pedal though. Perhaps a chorus/flanger.

I agree the mooer is worth checking out. But none are as well built as the mxr.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    EHX Small Stone, extremely underrated.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've had the Mooer and it's identical sound wise. 
  • The Mooer is pretty good.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    So many good quality clones and alternatives about that I don't think it's worth fixing on the one brand at the expense of considering others.

FWIW I had a MXR Phase 90 bought new about 8 years ago. don't know if mine was a duff unit BUT when playing clean it added a noticeable amount of grit to my tone when on. Not sure if that was normal, but what was also annoying was that when off there was a little bit of bleed though of the phase sound.

Sounded good otherwise.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Skarloey said:
    FWIW I had a MXR Phase 90 bought new about 8 years ago. don't know if mine was a duff unit BUT when playing clean it added a noticeable amount of grit to my tone when on. Not sure if that was normal, but what was also annoying was that when off there was a little bit of bleed though of the phase sound. 

Sounded good otherwise.
    The grit is normal if you have high-output pickups. The Phase 90 has very low headroom. The bleed-through may also be normal as well, it only has half-arsed bypass.

The Boss PH-1R cures both problems and does a lot more sounds too. I had a dead mint block-logo Phase 90 once - when I got the PH-1R I A/B'd them and it was possible to set it so it sounded identical to the Phase 90 except for the distortion - so good that until you played hard you couldn't tell which pedal was on.

The only problem is that a PH-1R will probably cost as much as a Phase 90 these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I've got the Joyo...sounds good to me...as does the Mooer - they're both I believe MXR clones underneath the tin lid!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    I picked up a phase 90 from ebay last week for £48 so I suspect that is the going rate. I had a mooer before and it was probably a bit better actually. I just like being able to adjust the rate with my foot on the MXR.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    That sheds light on what were the possible issues. At the time I played a Gordon Smith GS2 which were probably standard resistance HBs.

They could always market it as a 'no-bypass' pedal. "So good you can't shut it up".
  • I sold my phase 90 for £45 to a student of mine just before christmas… why not place a 'wanted' ad in the classifieds on here? People often can't be arsed to advertise things, but may still want to sell. 

MXR will likely last a lot longer than a Joyo if you gig too.
  • Though according to your link, if you are a fan on 'Van Helen's'… 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I have the Hardwire Phaser. It is brilliant.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    I have a Red Witch Deluxe Moon phaser and I got that one pretty cheap used.

Great phaser and nicer than my old original MXR script logo original and Roland phaser etc

I went phaser mad about 15 years ago and bout about 20 vintage units and worked my way through them all, eventually I got the Red Witch and ditched all the old vintage units.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with the small stone. Can get the nano for £35 if you're lucky, great little pedal. Bo idea if the big one is better, but I love my little nano!
  • You can have buy my one of these for £30 if you want?

• You can have buy my one of these for £30 if you want?

GAH WANT.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    The joyo one sounds pretty good. The build quality is the concern (as with most cheaper pedals).

I haven't tried the mooer, but it has a good rep. I've heard iffy things about mooer's build quality/QC too, though (and they also seem dear if you're paying UK prices for them).