Laney VC30-210 intermittent volume drop

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
Was playing my VC30 today and a couple of times the volume dropped for a while and then came back.  Valves all glowing normally.  

Any thoughts as to why this happened?  I was going to take to a band practice but now I'm nervous about the amp's reliability? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not had this with my vc30 but had it with other amps. First try a patch lead in the send and return. If it doesn't happen set like this it may just need cleaning the send/return sockets. A squirt of switch cleaner on a jack plug and insert in and out a few times. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    The VC30 FX loop won't do that - it's the one advantage of the otherwise totally crap loop that Laney use.

First thing to check is the preamp valves - it won't be a power valve. Relace each preamp valve in turn with a known good one. If it's an intermittent problem it may be difficult to positively identify though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Cheers guys - @ICBM I'll check the pre-amp tubes - I might actually treat it to a new set.   How easy is it to convert it to a better effect loop (presumably you mean series?)?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    Not too difficult. You need to remove the resistor in the dry path and either just keep a patch cable in the loop when you're not using it, or connect the jack switches. It's also possible to bypass the level pot when the loop isn't in use if you want to get really clever, although that does need a bit more fiddling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Thanks @ICBM ;