Duesenberg at GAK

What's Hot

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Their business model is the same though, build in China, brand in Germany, price for Dubai.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Their business model is the same though, build in China, brand in Germany, price for Dubai.

I like their design philosophy and was on the fence about buying a  Starplayer for quite a while. The subtle deception as to the origins of the gear and the really steep recent price hike really turned me off - don't think I'll be getting anything from Duesenberg anytime soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    A friend has a Caribou, it's an excellent guitar.  Love it!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    The "price hike" is pretty much down to £:€ exchange rate movement.  The € prices on Thomann seem like they haven't moved to me.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Yeah I had no clue that they had their guitars made elsewhere. No issue with where things are made, but you should advertise it properly AND charge a reasonable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    The "price hike" is pretty much down to £:€ exchange rate movement.  The € prices on Thomann seem like they haven't moved to me.

Nah, the Starplayer TV in orange was the one I was looking at maybe buying. It sold for anything between 1300-1600 € for years here in Germany. Then sometime around last year or so, price skyrocketed to over 2000.
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    edited March 2017
    I'm familiar with their guitars, but had no idea they made amps. At £3.5k used, GAK would have to at least throw in some Bonamassa Flip Flops to sweeten the deal before I even thought about it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sounds like a lot of the money goes into the fancy box and cab rather than circuitry and components.
    Looks fairly naff, too.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Wasn't there a few threads a couple of years ago where the whole Far East thing was debunked -something to do with an incorrect comment in a guitar magazine that got picked up and became folk-lore? 

Although having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if their business model was the same as what increasingly seems to be most of the guitar market these days, Far East parts assembled in (insert country of choice) and therefore qualifying for 'made in' status.
    edited March 2017
    Wasn't there a few threads a couple of years ago where the whole Far East thing was debunked -something to do with an incorrect comment in a guitar magazine that got picked up and became folk-lore? 

Although having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if their business model was the same as what increasingly seems to be most of the guitar market these days, Far East parts assembled in (insert country of choice) and therefore qualifying for 'made in' status

It shouldn't really matter where the guitar is made IMO, a Chinese CNC operator probably isn't going to be any less skilled than a US one - maybe he'll even be more conscientious. If Duesenberg were totally upfront about how and where their guitars are put together it wouldn't be a problem - the instruments are really good. There's no question mark at all as to quality & design, I personally really like the guitars. It's just the somewhat oblique beating around the bush & the pricing that turns me off.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Couldn't agree more @Mickeyji that we shouldn't judge if the quality is there.

I've been open before on here that I am as guilty as many my age that have absorbed and am in the process of relearning a prejudice that once though only a US made guitar was good enough. I am a big fan of Loar guitars and am looking forward to trying some Eastmans, both Chinese and decent quality.

It's as you say the transparency of it as we'd all like to know what we are getting and where it is from. I was under the impression that Duesenberg had been cleared as fully made in Germany, although I suspect having read these comments here that I may have missed something along the way, hence my own question. In fairness to Duesenberg if this is the case then they follow a similiar business model to a number of other companies, for example Godin who openly use far eastern parts and some Godins can be cracking. So this is certainly not something I'd personally hold against Duesenberg, just need to try a few to decide if they are for me.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited March 2017
    Woodwork made in Korea. Metalwork screwed on in Germany. Prices inflated by the P&W demand.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Couldn't agree more @Mickeyji that we shouldn't judge if the quality is there.

I've been open before on here that I am as guilty as many my age that have absorbed and am in the process of relearning a prejudice that once though only a US made guitar was good enough. I am a big fan of Loar guitars and am looking forward to trying some Eastmans, both Chinese and decent quality.

It's as you say the transparency of it as we'd all like to know what we are getting and where it is from. I was under the impression that Duesenberg had been cleared as fully made in Germany, although I suspect having read these comments here that I may have missed something along the way, hence my own question. In fairness to Duesenberg if this is the case then they follow a similiar business model to a number of other companies, for example Godin who openly use far eastern parts and some Godins can be cracking. So this is certainly not something I'd personally hold against Duesenberg, just need to try a few to decide if they are for me.
    Godin "openly usesfar eastern parts"? I wasn't aware of that, so I'm guessing it's not that open.

I was aware of the Duesenberg thing, though.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1463
    "Handmade In Germany Just like all of Duesenberg's gear this amplifier is handmade in Germany to their highest standards"

That seems pretty unequivocal!?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ^ I'm not sure if you're joking or not :D

Assuming you're not, Duesenberg guitars aren't handmade in Germany, so if the amps are made the same way, er...

Assuming you are joking, well played. :D