Another one of those speaker choice threads.

shadyshady Frets: 252

Having had my Bassbreaker 007 head a wee while now I can definitely say the Hayden closed back 1x12 I'm using it with needs an upgrade.  The current 16ohm speaker is Hayden's own, but is a little too dark and I would like to restore the top end detail/chime/sparkle that I heard when I first tested the amp through my old JTM60's 3x10 cab. 

These cabs are apparently pre-drilled for Celestions, so having done a little research both here and across the web I have a possible shortlist of either the G12H-30 or Cream back Neo.  The Bassbreaker's own 1x12 comes with a V-Type so that was also on the radar and really affordable. 

It will be for loud home use only and cover a lot of bases, dirty and clean.  At some point I might want to link cabs together just for fucking about, so keeping it at 16ohms is preferable...if that's a factor in all this.

Opinions? Whad'ja reckon?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Creamback Neo, its my answer to every speaker question ever!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Other speakers have the same screw holes as Celestion so you don't have to limit yourself to Celestion.  I had one amp that I used both Jensen and Celestion in, and another that at various points had Eminence, Celestion and Weber.  I now have an amp that came stock with a Celestion, and now has a WGS.

While you don't have to limit yourself to Celestion they do make very good speakers.  If you have the money, the Celestion Alnico Blue is probably the best all round guitar speaker on the planet.

If you don't want to spend the kind of money a Blue costs, you won't go wrong with a Creamback, but I'd definitely recommend looking at WGS as well.  They make some very good speakers.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    WGS ain't short of choice are they? Christ on a bike...the missus caught me looking at them last night and actually offered to buy me one...

...for Christmas...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I put a Classic lead 80 in my JCM2000 combo and its awesome. Loud, clear and responsive. 
  • Celestion G12H sounds great in a 1x12 (I've only tried the Anniversary - the Heritages are meant to be even better)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    G12H-75 Creamback - like a higher-powered, slightly chunkier version of the G12H-30. (The G12M-65 Creamback is like a higher-powered G12M-25 Greenback, and the Neo is very close to that but lighter.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    I know looking at speaker demo's on YouTube isn't the best way to do this, but the WGS Reaper is now shortlisted. Not entirely sure on the CL80 though.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    rico said:
    I put a Classic lead 80 in my JCM2000 combo and its awesome. Loud, clear and responsive. 
    I also put a CL80 in my JCM200 DSL401 combo. Although much better than the stock speaker I wasn't sure about it originally but its grown on me and the more I play it, the more I like it.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)