Best replacement tuning machines/key things for Gibson Les Paul

What's Hot
I've got locking ones on there at the moment and they're doing my nut in.

I want normal wraparound alternatives. My guitar tech said that the allpart keystone shaped chrome tuning keys are preferable to the Gibson branded Grover ones. There's Gotoh too, but I've no experience with any of them so am wondering what you builders/modders like to use?

He made a good point though, the chrome Keystone shaped keys look nice and compliment the Gibson headstock perfectly.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I've always put Grovers on mine, kidney bean tuner buttons are my preference... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimberGTimberG Frets: 50
    Either Grovers of Kluson (to keep that Gibson look going), 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Grovers are heavier than klusons

It's either of those for me and down to your preference
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Do the existing ones have a 10mm bushing (with a threaded collar with a hex top on it and a separate washer) or 8mm (small round bushing)?

That will limit your choice unless you either want to bore the holes out or use conversion bushings, both of which I would try to avoid.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited April 2017
    I'm getting some Faber ones in, in either the 10mm or 8mm sizes with plastic buttons.

Already have some 6-inline ones with me and they feel very nice, better than Kluson to be honest. Not dear either.

And the Grover sized:

Should be around £35 a pop. Aged a bit more.

• Was kind of hoping for all chrome and a more modern style @streethawk ;

@ICBM not sure what a bushing  is but I think it's the former - 10mm bushing (with a threaded collar with a hex top on it and a separate washer).

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Looks like streethawk has the right ones whichever size it is - hopefully better quality than the Grover ones too, which are notorious for falling apart. (NB, just these Grovers - the older Rotomatic style are fine.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Had no idea some Grovers had such a bad rep.

There's some rotomatics with Tulip buttons:
    https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/grover-102k-original-rotomatics-w-keystone-buttons-3x3

And these must be the Allparts ones your tech was talking about:
    https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/tuning-keys-sealed-3x3-w-screw-in-bushings-metal-keystone-button

Quite a price difference! Might get some of them allparts ones in actually.

You are often paying for the name with tuners. 
    Had no idea some Grovers had such a bad rep.
    It's just the ones which are nearly identical to the Schaller - and Gibson-branded, of both makes - 'Kluson-looking' snot-green tulip ones. They all have a tendency for the cast pins which hold the back cover on to fail - if you're lucky by coming out of their holes (Schallers mostly do), if you're unlucky by snapping off (Grovers mostly do)… which then results in the whole thing falling apart. It's a poor design.

I'm hoping that the Faber-branded ones above are a different design - or at least made from better-quality metal since the design does look worryingly similar - although the Tone Pros version are the same as the Grovers. If you have them to hand, what do the undersides of the baseplates look like?

Schallers (two rectangular pins):

http://www.aceguitarparts.aceguitars.com.au/schallergibnk.jpg

Grovers (one rectangular and two round pins):

http://www.emma-music.com/boutique/images_produits/135n_grover0.jpg

Oddly it's usually the round pins - which you would think were stronger, being larger - that snap off.

I've long since lost count of the number of these - both brands - I've replaced. Unfortunately there's no replacement which fits both the footprint and has a 10mm bushing - the big Grover Rotomatics fit with no drilling, but leave the upper screw hole unused. Any traditional Kluson type - made from pressed steel instead of cast alloy so they don't break - doesn't fit the bushing holes.

Not sure on the metal or construction, but I'm guessing they all came out of one or two factories. 
  • DaveMonDaveMon Frets: 26
    When I replaced the MinE-tune on my 2014 LP standard I went with the Gibson (Grover) metal tulip tuners from Richtone:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_modern_nickel_machine_heads_with_metal_buttons.asp

Fairly cheap and do the job, no issues with them so far!