Simple amp to use with Helix?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited April 2017 in Amps
What simple amp with a good effects loop would you recommend I check out for use as a Helix platform? Mainly home playing but loud enough for playing out if required?

I don't need multi channel, prefer single channel. I had a Victory V40 which sounded great but needed a bit of volume to get it sounding good as it sounded a bit dark at low volume. I should it to end the Helix and now want an amp again!  

£500-£750 budget

or do I wait util I have the funds available to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Why buy an amp at all?  Haven't even thought about buying one since I got my Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited April 2017
    John_A said:
    Why buy an amp at all?  Haven't even thought about buying one since I got my Helix.
    I play the Helix through near fields but miss a real amp. I tried a Yamaha DXR10 but didn't get on with it

Is say stick with the DXR, you really do get more out of the helix FRFR even though the bung it through a valve amp approach may be more instantly gratifying 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Why not a Fryette power station?
    or quilter block if you don't mind a bit of solid state
    but after years of denial even I've gone frfr 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    FRFR really Is the future, I've played valve amps for 20 years and was always very sceptical about modellers, had a Helix 6 months or so now and I'm 100% converted
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    2 channels but the Orange Rockerverb 32 looks very interesting with the stereo set up and stereo fx loop.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Anything old, solid-state and reasonably powerful. Not as neutral as FRFR, but still with the natural top-end roll-off of having no tweeter, and the punch of a normal guitar-type 12" speaker.

Peavey, Laney, Carlsbro, HH, Yamaha etc all make various models that will fit the bill, or if you're feeling like spending all of that money instead of only about the first hundred quid, Roland.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Seriously, have a go with a cheaper, older solid state amp. My old Bandit loved having modellers, both in front of the amp and into the power amp. Worked brilliantly well. 

For 50-100 quid, it's worth a go I reckon. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    The Bandit's a good call, or just a Jet City JCA22H - plug into the effects return and use the Helix amp models. Cheap as chips, and loud as you like - they have a phenomenal amount of power amp headroom which isn't readily apparent when you use the amp on its own.

I do exactly this with my preamp-based pedalboard, and it sounds immense. What I've also noticed is that while the presence control is absolutely horrible when you use the JCA22H's preamp, it suddenly becomes awesomely useful when you're just using the amp's power section.
    <space for hire>
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Some great ideas here
    The solid state solution seems worth a go for pin money
    Trace Elliott tramp /supertrampSS  ?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    All hail the bandit!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited April 2017
    Dominic said:

Trace Elliott tramp /supertrampSS  ?
    One of the few of this sort of amp that's relatively unreliable.

I did forget to mention solid-state Fenders too, which aren't bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein