Earplugs for Gigs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 159
    Yeah, these were my thoughts too. I'm determined not to let this get any worse as it's pretty mild in the scheme of things. I'll stick with the plugs I've got but if it happens again I'll need to up the ante a bit and get some "better" ones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HoofHoof Frets: 321
    It seems the best advice from reading this is simply don't go to Mogwai gigs!

I got myself a set of ACS custom moulds with 15dB filters in. They take the damaging edge off while still being loud and clear enough for the music to excite the senses. I've worn them to every rehearsal and most gigs for the past 7 years or so. I'm due a new set and will not heistate to invest the money again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3048
    ER20s (or isolation earphones if using IEM).  Mild Tinnitus in my right ear from drummer's crash cymbal - no more of that ! I always keep a few plectra in that little jeans pocket, added a pair of ER20s too for adhoc gigs we go to - always have a pair for gigs/festivals. I even use the ER20s for jazz gigs now we have a fairly robust drummer (though I'm generally nearer the ride cymbal ;)

Also,  I think it's a middle-aged man thing too that your midrange gets totally f*cked after about 45-50 - I can't hear a bloody thing in a noisy restaurant with the hordes "chatting". Not sure what to do about that other than protect hearing in general.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 451
    If you push ER20's right in, the sound can be muffled, but at a really loud gig, you just have to endure this. More often than not, i pull mine out a bit and fiddle around with them until I've got a balance of sound quality and attenuation. It's different every time.
  • andypandyp Frets: 159
    Jalapeno said:

Also,  I think it's a middle-aged man thing too that your midrange gets totally f*cked after about 45-50 - I can't hear a bloody thing in a noisy restaurant with the hordes "chatting". Not sure what to do about that other than protect hearing in general.
    Aye, this is happening to me too... but I'm 37. It's not too bad, but it;s noticeably worse after the last 2-3 years.

Some good advice folks, thanks. :)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 421
    Hoof said:
    It seems the best advice from reading this is simply don't go to Mogwai gigs!

No. That will never be the advice. Amazing live band.

I've had the planet waves version of the ER20's which worked well for standing in crowd, but not so much for on stage. muffled the sound a bit too much, and fell out when I moved about. No idea where they've gone now, presumed lost in action.
    for the price i'll get a couple of sets of ER20s to give em a go

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 311
    I had become really noise sensitive to the point that gigs were painful -cymbal and snare would make me wince and I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing so I went down the ACS route and never regretted it. They are wired to start with but if you 'plug away' at them you get used to them. I suffer from low frequency tinnitus which is kinda weird - when it's really quiet (in bed early morning) it sounds like workmen are digging a hole in the road 2 streets away! (Jack-hammer going on and off!) I now physically can't do a gig or rehearsal without them! I would have had to stop gigging if it wasn't for my ACS plugs! I would recommend all gigging musicians get them now before any more damage is done. Expensive but what value can you put on avoiding going deaf I say! Highly recommended!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 5964
    I've been meaning to do something for years. Got some cheap Senner ones on an Amazon deal coming in the post. Really just for rehearsals, they are the thing that worries me most.
    Re the middle aged/restaurant thing: I was on a training course last week and they do exercises were you have to discuss stuff on your table. I now find it so hard to listen to the people sat next to me with other chatter in the background, I was close to leaving. I said how difficult I found it to someone else there but they weren't having the same issue. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1442
    edited May 8
    Rabea gets his ears done (maybe a freeby in return for this lovely video, who knows?). It's worth watching though to hear Jonno's story and to see the moulding process. It's scary what we've exposed ourselves to really.... Walkmans, discos, clubs and car stereos before you start thinking about the rehearsals and gigs.

As an aside when Jonno did my moulds at the Birmingham show the room was so loud I miss heard "3 to 5 minutes" as "35 minutes"! :astonished: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Rabea gets his ears done (maybe a freeby in return for this lovely video, who knows?). It's worth watching though to hear Jonno's story and to see the moulding process. It's scary what we've exposed ourselves to really.... Walkmans, discos, clubs and car stereos before you start thinking about the rehearsals and gigs.

As an aside when Jonno did my moulds at the Birmingham show the room was so loud I miss heard "3 to 5 minutes" as "35 minutes"! :astonished: 

I'm looking at getting some of these done.

which ones do you use @mudslide73 , how do you find them?

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 1442
    @sgosden I use Pro17s but I've only had them for a couple of months. They're very comfortable and they lower the band's volume down to TV level. There's no eq problem for guitar (I used ACS generics before which rolled off the guitars a bit causing me to pick harder or mess with the eq). I can't recommend them highly enough - I think 17s would attenuate enough for all but the loudest of bands. A great side effect is I can hear all the mistakes we make near the end of the set :)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 726
    I ordered a pair of ACS Pro17s today and going to have my moulds taken later this week. I've always used earplugs but only the cheap ones which is a bit silly. Spending all day testing amplifiers really does hurt after a while so hopefully these will be a huge improvement.
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar and Bass Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Looks like I'll be ordering some. We tend to have a really loud stage, but anything will be better that the standard dulling ones that I take out after 2 songs :P 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 958
    Before ordering ACS, please check out the Read Audio plugs. Far better sound, far more comfortable and far easier to sing with.

http://www.read-audio.com/
    (No affiliation)
    My band: The Supernatural

Trading goodness: Here and here.
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 35
    I've always owned (stupidly not always worn) Docs pro plugs which are pretty discreet and meant to attenuate loud volumes by -20db 
    A minor is ACE 
  • ibisibis Frets: 8
    I've used ER20s for years but have just bought a set of Eargasm plugs that are less noticeable. 
  • oktorocktooktorockto Frets: 6
    simonk said:
    Before ordering ACS, please check out the Read Audio plugs. Far better sound, far more comfortable and far easier to sing with.

http://www.read-audio.com/
    (No affiliation)
    I'll second this. Got some recently, fantastic plugs, quick service, different approach. Definitely better.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 131
    I would recommend the ACS ER-20's too, I used to use them years ago when I was starting to go to and play gigs regularly. Eventually I invested and got the Pro 17 moulded ones which are a much better fit and I can hear everything clearly just at a lower volume. Also helped I was alumni at a music institute so entitled to a discount!

Get the best you can afford, there's no replacement on losing your hearing.