Does this Guitar Exist?

What's Hot
dealmakerdealmaker Frets: 18
edited April 2017 in Guitar
So I am struggling to find my "ideal" guitar. I can tend to find some of the things on my wish list but not ALL of them. I think the hardest thing is to find the right neck profile. I like chunkier "59" style rounder profiles with softish shoulders....but combining that with a set neck superstrat style guitar is proving difficult. Here's the wish list:

Superstrat style body with good upper fret access.

Set Neck - not a bolt on (and ideally a nice smooth transition without a massive heel)

Twin Humbuckers - with coil tap

Hardtail

Ideally shorter scale but can live with the longer scale

Ideally 24 frets but can live with 22

The elusive 59 style rounded neck profile.

So the things I have tried and rejected; PRS - simply cant get away with the body/neck angle thing, they just all feel alien to me.. ;  Suhr Modern Set-neck - ticks most of the boxes but you cant get them with a fatter neck, only the Medium Even neck, which is too thin;  Mayones, tried a few - all have been nice  but the Neck's are way too thin and the fretboard too flat. 

So I am drawing a blank.  Any suggestion for mainstream manufacturers that make something like this??

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    it is the set neck that I can't think that exists ref your dream machine - Tyler for example offer a 59 full neck profile but bolt on format - I'm not familiar enough with Jackson to know if they have any suitable models with that neck profile

I think your spec sheet is so individual that you'll probably need to chat to some of our fine UK luthiers - like Jon @FelineGuitars ;
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    It's not a million miles away from a Probett rockett 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ibanez Paul Gilbert Fireman 150:
    http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/eg2017/FRM150_TR_4L_01.png

Fret access: check
    Humbuckers: check
    Hard tail: check
    Set neck: check
    Big neck: check. 
    Cool as fuck: CHECK

You could a add coil taps if you wanted 

(the pgmm100 model might also work for you)
    http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_sig_series17.php?year=2017&cat_id=1&series_id=18
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    edited April 2017
    dindude said:
    It's not a million miles away from a Probett rockett 
    Exactly what I was thinking as I read the opening post.  Take a look at the Probett website.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    fernandes? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    That sounds very much like something I've done as a prototype, it's showing good promise too, nice to know it's not just me building what I want

I think I was trying to cater for the gibbo lovers with a nice 59 style neck with all the comforts of a strat

Rambling over, Probett rocket sounds very much like what you're wanting 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    In terms of production guitars, there have been various incarnations of the ESP Horizon.

Definitely a set-neck and available as a hardtail, but a 25.5" scale I think, although it may have been available with a shorter scale, I don't know.  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have the '59 neck profile.

Schecter C-1 also springs to mind, although again it probably has the long scale and skinny neck.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    one great thing about FB is the knowledge that is available to members via members - despite 40 years of working in the industry there is no way you can know everything, especially today with so many brands and models available - I looked at that spec sheet and thought it was alien to me - Yet a few FB members can suggest good options - excellent
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited April 2017
    Sounds like the sort of guitar Suhr might be able to make. Would be ££££ but it'd be nice. 

Most of the off-the-peg stuff from the usual suspects is going to have skinny necks. 

The Washburn Parallaxe line might have one that delivers most of your requirements too, worth a look and not terribly pricey. I do fear they all have those wafer thin necks though. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    +1 on Probett. It's also the sort of thing Tom Anderson would be at home doing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    See I read that spec and thought PRS S2 standards. Different guitars to their core models and well worth a try out. 
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    edited April 2017
    Fender Esprit ?
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    If you definitely know what you want, then either get a someone to do a Custom Build, or else go on a Course and make it yourself.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    tFB Trader
    Another +1 for @DamianP Rocket '59
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Tom Anderson cobra S perhaps.

Probably a custom order as hardtails and a fatter neck profile are not that popular.

https://goo.gl/images/TEWykC
  • sidekicksidekick Frets: 13
    Although I haven't played one, I know a couple of guys who have and the Probett Rocket, (he's a UK Custom-Build luther operation though with a waiting list - not mainstream manufacturer) could well be the type of guitar you are looking to find.
  • probett rocket is exactly what you are looking for and can be specced to give you exactly what you want

just drop damien P a line - his guitars are absolutely stellar
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    You need a Stormshadow Vanquish 24 Set Neck.
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/StormshadowGuitars/SS0006_Front_zpslndropfv.jpg
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/StormshadowGuitars/SS0006_Top_zpszpp47yuu.jpg

Our Set neck has a smooth transition heel for great upper fret access and the neck profile, radius, fretwire, nut width are all available to spec to your choice. 25-1/2" or 24-3/4" scales are optional although 24-3/4" is slightly more, with either 22 or 24 Frets.
    Pretty much anything is available to spec, Bridge, Pickups, Woods, Finishes etc etc

Regards
    Rich

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yamaha Super Fighter (SF1000)

One on Reverb: https://reverb.com/uk/item/1313309-yamaha-sf-1000-1979-oil-stain