Treadle distortion or fuzz?

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited February 2014 in FX
I'm after a pedal where you can adjust the amount of gain with your foot.

Does such a thing exist? I have a very real use for such a thing, so if I can, I'll try and find something in the coming months.

Also, it would be great if it worked well with bass. Because it turns out iI have two uses for such a thing. Not too fussed on the tone - it's more of a special effect kind of effect.

Oh, as ever, cheaper is better. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Fender fuzz/wah has a sideways treadle to control fuzz amount
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I think the George Dennis Wizard Pedals do this. 

Also I think that Brian May pedal did something similar. 
  • Depending if the rest of your rig has midi options it may be worth considering a Nova drive and controlling it with midi
  • One of these on your normal dirt pedal,maybe?
  • Line 6 dm4 with expression pedal. ...
  • Anything you can attach an expression pedal to that has digital distortion or fuzz.
    Line 6 m5 plus an ex 1. You could pick up both relatively cheap used.
    Or a Gloknob. Not sure you can buy them in the UK, but if you can just stick it on your favourite pedal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Line6 M series (M5, M9 and M13) with an expression pedal can all do this. They have a great trick where you can program the expression pedal you increase the gain whilst decreasing the volume. The Boost Comp model is a good one to do this with.
  • Oh, they have Gloknobs on thomann. :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Any distortion or fuzz pedal with a volume pedal in front of it? ;)

The old Boss PD-1 Rocker Distortion is what you really want though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    ICBM said:

They sounded good too. They had a rubber stopper under the pedal nose which meant that you needed to put your weight on it for maximum gain, but you could remove it if you wanted it available all the time.
    I wish they'd reissue it.
  • Dr. Scientist The Elements has a mix knob, and a jack that lets you connect an expression pedal to, to control the mix

• ICBM;153014" said:

That sounds really great.

The volume into fuzz would work but takes 2 pedals! That's twice the cost! :p

A nice axis fuzz (my home built is shite wiring...) and a volume pedal would probably do though.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    ICBM;153014" said:

That sounds really great.

The volume into fuzz would work but takes 2 pedals! That's twice the cost! :p

I have a Mayer Axis Fuzz for sale btw.
  • There is an old Akai analogue unit that looks like a silver whammy that crops up on Ebay from time to time. Tend to go for about £40 posted. Can't think of the name for the life of me and I've never heard them in the flesh. Pretty pointless post really. I'll get me coat!
  • Ahah, its the shredomatic. Looks like this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mn-xBy5sFgE31mRqV2RSX0w.jpg I'll put me coat back. 8-}
  • Actually now I think of it some of the old Nobels pedals had expression pedal inputs. My Pre 01 definitely does; http://mercasonic.soniccdn.com/sda/640/3542/723542.jpg I'm sure all of the "coloured" range do in fact
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    edited February 2014
    There is an old Akai analogue unit that looks like a silver whammy that crops up on Ebay from time to time. Tend to go for about £40 posted. Can't think of the name for the life of me and I've never heard them in the flesh.
    Ahah, its the shredomatic. Looks like this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mn-xBy5sFgE31mRqV2RSX0w.jpg
    I'd blanked that out of my mind forgotten that one! That's possibly the single worst-sounding distortion pedal I've ever heard, although to be fair there are other candidates from the same era...

And also, I bet people said that about the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz, until they were popularised by the likes of the Jesus And Mary Chain… so it may possibly have some application, although I can't think of quite what :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    There is an old Akai analogue unit that looks like a silver whammy that crops up on Ebay from time to time. Tend to go for about £40 posted. Can't think of the name for the life of me and I've never heard them in the flesh.
    Ahah, its the shredomatic. Looks like this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mn-xBy5sFgE31mRqV2RSX0w.jpg
    I'd blanked that out of my mind forgotten that one! That's possibly the single worst-sounding distortion pedal I've ever heard, although to be fair there are other candidates from the same era...

And also, I bet people said that about the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz, until they were popularised by the likes of the Jesus And Mary Chain… so it may possibly have some application, although I can't think of quite what :).
    Haha @ICBM I have actually used one of those and it sounded amazing! It had been modded though, and I'm not sure what with.  But it did sound awesome, even if the expression pedal didn't work on it.  

So there is potential!
  • TunezTunez Frets: 15
    Maybe I'm being a bit simple here, but use the volume pot on your guitar- someone at the top of the post mentioned Mr May, that's how he did it, in fact, that's how everyone used to do it!