DI box to take feed from amp?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
edited April 2017 in Studio & Recording
I want to give this IR thing a go and so I think I might need a DI box to go between the amp and cab to send a line out to my interface. Something like the Palmer PDI-09 but with switchable speaker sim would be ideal by the looks of things. Will the Behringer Ultra GI100 do the job and give the correct thru signal to my cab/load so I dont kill my amp ? Or anything better without spending a fortune?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28158
    TTBZ said:
    Will the Behringer Ultra GI100 do the job and give the correct thru signal to my cab/load so I dont kill my amp ?
    Yes.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    If at all possible, connect the DI box to another speaker output rather than running the current to the cab through it - that reduces the risk of a bad connection or poor internal wiring in the DI box failing and leaving the amp with no load.

It normally makes no difference what impedance the other output is for, and it doesn't change how the amp is loaded. The only exception would be an amp which automatically switches impedance when the extension speaker jack is in use, which is quite rare - Peavey Classic 30s and Fender 'Ultra-Linear' amps from the late 70s are a couple of examples.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Cheers, looks like I'll just be getting the cheapie behringer then! 

@ICBM so I should just leave the 16 ohm output going into my cab as normal, then plug any other speaker out (my amp has loads!) into the input of the DI box and then connect that up to my interface? Still need a proper speaker cable for that connection if the load is all going to the cab? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    TTBZ said:

@ICBM so I should just leave the 16 ohm output going into my cab as normal, then plug any other speaker out (my amp has loads!) into the input of the DI box and then connect that up to my interface?
    Yes.

TTBZ said:

Still need a proper speaker cable for that connection if the load is all going to the cab? 
    No - there's no significant current going through it so an instrument cable is fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Perfect, thanks!