PSA: A holy grail for sale

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30874
edited April 2017 in Amps

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Would it be all right playing my Helix through it?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    I have to admit I found a 64 Vibroverb on ebay the other night and was about to sell everything until I realised it was a 1 x 15

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    How much to drill it out for an Fx loop?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    Pah, it's a non-export model, not interested.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Two years out. The holy grail is the '59 5F6-A, not the 5E6-A which has only two inputs, a different tone stack with no mid control and a different presence circuit. Not quite the same thing.

[/pedant]

Nice amp anyway though. But over six grand?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    What the fuck!

will people really pay that for old consumer electronics?! I'm keeping hold of my 14 inch tv/vhs combo unit, in 30 years it'll be worth £6k
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    You could get a new one for less than that!

Anyone want to buy my 1962, unearthed Hoover, that you can't get bags for any more?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Anyone want to buy my 1962, unearthed Hoover, that you can't get bags for any more?
    The mains cable off that is worth a fortune to Trainwreck owners :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Genuine not pi**ing on your chips question....... what actually makes this better than a new hand wired one from the Fender Custom Shop?

Obviously any original bits will be worn in and probably moved out of spec. a bit, which could affect the tone. But what justifies the price? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Richardj said:
    Genuine not pi**ing on your chips question....... what actually makes this better than a new hand wired one from the Fender Custom Shop?

Obviously any original bits will be worn in and probably moved out of spec. a bit, which could affect the tone. But what justifies the price? 
    I 'get' old guitars - assuming they're 'worn-in' as opposed to 'worn out' - but I don't get old amps at all....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    Check out this ultra rare Fiesta Red Bassman ;) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282320755363
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Richardj said:

I 'get' old guitars - assuming they're 'worn-in' as opposed to 'worn out' - but I don't get old amps at all....
    It's all about the mojo baby...
    I'd still prefer a black face Twin.

With JBL's natch.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Classified rules state you need to show correct pictures, what you've shown there is a Bassman amp not an Ehx Holy Grail pedal. Also your price is way high for a reverb pedal

I'll take it of it's just sat there gathering dust ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

The mains cable off that is worth a fortune to Trainwreck owners :).

Is the vacuum tube of any value?

Some sucker will need it.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I'm clean out of puns on this one....

Richardj said:

Totally agree here Richard. I MUCH prefer touring with modern amps, I genuinely think some of the best amps ever are being built these days. Half of the sounds people covet from these old amps are because they were being pushed to do things they weren't designed to do. Much prefer the reliability and build of a modern amp personally....much like the ones our pal 'Jesse' makes... ;-) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Look, pine trees were better then.

Even Laurel and Hardy thought so.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

How do I know you're not going to sell me a Choover?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There is something about old amps like this - they always seem to have a very vibrant, rich tone that new versions of the same thing don't quite match… the new ones tend to sound 'stiff' by comparison. Whether it's down to drifted component values (I doubt, since that will affect the voicing rather than the 'resonance', if that makes sense), the generally higher background noise (really, this does have an effect on the tone), the speakers, or the old dried-out wood in the cabinets, I really don't know. To me the old amps - if properly serviced - do usually sound 'better' though. Whether they sound betterer enough to be worth several times the price, I'm much less sure about. It's also arguable that if you prefer lower noise and a clearer tone then the new ones might even be better...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom