Fitting a maple cap

What's Hot
This seems like a dumb question: if you are fitting a 2 piece maple cap, would you glue the two pieces together first?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Yes.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Yup, definitely.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    there are a few occasions where you might consider doing it the other way, but you will never get a really clean join line

I have only done it where the top has been unstable and bowed enough to make it hard to fit together - but its better to avoid wood like that than attempt to join on the body ;)

clamps can be a bit much on thinner tops, you need a plate joining jig of some kind

edited April 2017
    WezV said:

clamps can be a bit much on thinner tops, you need a plate joining jig of some kind

I just use two pieces of MDF slightly under the width of the piece that you are joining and then use some panel clamps.
    I put some barbell weights on top of it to exert some downward force.
    I do this with acoustic guitar tops and backs as well.

I'll see if I can dig out a photo.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    there you go, there is your joining jig - no need to be fancy
    WezV said:
    there you go, there is your joining jig - no need to be fancy
    It was how we were shown at uni- very simple but very effective.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:

I just use two pieces of MDF slightly under the width of the piece that you are joining and then use some panel clamps.
    I put some barbell weights on top of it to exert some downward force.
    I do this with acoustic guitar tops and backs as well.

I'll see if I can dig out a photo.
    It would be great if you have a picture!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited April 2017
    Imagine the two pieces of MDF mentioned above are arranged like an = the gap between the two pieces is just slightly less than the width of the two pieces you want to join. You glue the join an put the two pieces between the = they dont quite fit flat as the = just a bit too close together, but add weight and it forces them in, exerting pressure on the join...

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

And don't forget some newspaper along the join on both sides- you don't want to glue the mdf to the wood you are joining.
    You can scrape the newspaper off easily with a Stanley blade.
    Apologies but I don't have many clear pictures of this process other than this:

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1679
    You can also use a piece of wood clamped to the top instead of weights. You can also rout a channel below the glue line so you don't stick the top to your jig.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Thanks all, useful stuff for current guitar build
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    edited April 2017
    Instead of using newspaper under the glue line which then has to be scraped off, i use tbe wrapper that comes with Warburtons loaves. Sounds daft, but its free (after the bread is eaten of course) and it has an almost wax-paper quality that seems impervious to PVA, aliphatic resin glue used in luthiery.

Another plate-joining 'jig' is to use a series of panel pins alongside the outer long edges of the plate to be joined. You hammer in the pins whilst the plates are held together on a baseboard with a removable support (say 7-10mm high and 20mm wide running the length of the glue line) underneath the glue line. When the support is removed and the plates weighted down, the wedge action provides plenty of clamping force for the join. Much harder to describe than show, adaptable to any shape of plate that would otherwise be difficult to accurately clamp, cheap and low tech. I may have a photo somewhere i can post up.

Adam.

P.s. if you are near Stirling at all, i would be happy to show you.