Thinking about making an open back panel for my amp

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Anybody done anything like this? Its for my Mesa Stiletto 1x12 combo.

I was thinking that what i'd do is make a new back panel, but then use a hole saw to cut 3 or 4, 4 inch holes into it. I'd probably use 12mm marine ply.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    timmysoft said:

I was thinking that what i'd do is make a new back panel, but then use a hole saw to cut 3 or 4, 4 inch holes into it. I'd probably use 12mm marine ply.
    Iv never done anything like that but often wondered why amp and cab makers dont make them with a hinge so you have choice of open bank or closed...
  • Barney said:
    timmysoft said:

Iv never done anything like that but often wondered why amp and cab makers dont make them with a hinge so you have choice of open bank or closed...
    http://drzamps.com/product/1x12/
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Barney said:
    timmysoft said:

http://drzamps.com/product/1x12/
    Ahhh...so it has been done :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Tube Town do a flexback option as well, I've found it really useful with mine.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Barney said:
    The integrity of the back makes a difference to the sound of the cab - one single back panel is more rigid and resonates differently than two or three smaller pieces, even if there are no gaps. Not always a bit difference, like, but it can be a factor.

And imagine the rattling you could get with hinges!  :o
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    If the hinges are tight they don't rattle, never noticed any issue with mine. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    TTBZ said:
    If the hinges are tight they don't rattle, never noticed any issue with mine. 
    But imagine the rattling you could get! I'd take out insurance if I were you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom