Diesel cars (toxic tax) announced

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    That will screw the Motability scheme as it's usually an extra £1000 plus for the petrol variant of any model
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    It's just scaremongering at this point.

The firmest proposal so far only affected Euro IV and earlier.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Wood burners will be the big pollution problem next decade. 3L TDIs will be nice and Cheap then. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    Sporky said:
    It's just scaremongering at this point.

The firmest proposal so far only affected Euro IV and earlier.
    Come to think of it, scaremongering people into not buying new diesels while not actually penalising those who have already bought them would be quite a good compromise for now… although it's unlikely for politicians to be that clever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    dano said:
    Wood burners will be the big pollution problem next decade. 3L TDIs will be nice and Cheap then. :)

tho the main issue I find with wood burners is getting up to a decent speed on the motorway.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Come to think of it, scaremongering people into not buying new diesels while not actually penalising those who have already bought them would be quite a good compromise for now… although it's unlikely for politicians to be that clever.
    I agree on both counts. I see the meed to migrate away from diesel, and then from ICEs altogether, but there's a sensible pace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:

tho the main issue I find with wood burners is getting up to a decent speed on the motorway.
    You're probably using woods that aren't sufficiently energy dense.

Brazilian rosewood and old-growth Honduras mahogany are the high performance firewoods.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Sporky said:
    VimFuego said:

Brazilian rosewood and old-growth Honduras mahogany are the high performance firewoods.
    Ironwood burns at ridiculous temperatures. 
    Brother managed to melt a fireplace with the stuff. (Factory offcuts not decent bits) Stuff is so dense it sinks. 
    Sporky said:

Sadly that's all too true, especially the mahogany. Vast quantities of it were burned for railway locomotive fuel in central America.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Diesel cars with improved performance - side effect: particulates are crossing the air blood barrier of the lung! Those particulates are inside your system - blood, brain, heart, . . . 

That is quit rightly where the fear comes from. This is not the only micro particle produced from modern living.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    I hope to God they aren't talking about the grime crap from old diesel vehicles in that article?? They are actually 'less of a problem'
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Any high compression engine will produce more dangerous particulates than a lower compression one of the same power. One the temperature amd pressure in the cylinder gets above a certain temperature it converts nitogen molecules into nitrogen free radicals. Because diesel burns more slowly their is more time for these to react with it.
    notanon said:
    Diesel cars with improved performance - side effect: particulates are crossing the air blood barrier of the lung! Those particulates are inside your system - blood, brain, heart, . . .
    Making me even more powerful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    notanon said:

That is quit rightly where the fear comes from. This is not the only micro particle produced from modern living.
    Got any scientific data to back that up?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

Sadly that's all too true, especially the mahogany. Vast quantities of it were burned for railway locomotive fuel in central America.
    Yup, a locomotive can get nearly a week's running from Honduran mahogany, but only twenty-four hours from balsa!

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Keep thinking diesel might be the way to go for my next car, but if that were the case I'd only be looking at newer ones, finances permitting. Any older and I'd look at petrol, although ironically that would likely pollute more than many new diesels.

Lots of newer diesel hatchbacks produce so little CO2 they qualify for zero road tax - will this change too?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Keep thinking diesel might be the way to go for my next car, but if that were the case I'd only be looking at newer ones, finances permitting. Any older and I'd look at petrol, although ironically that would likely pollute more than many new diesels.

Lots of newer diesel hatchbacks produce so little CO2 they qualify for zero road tax - will this change too?
    Yes, because the government has finally realised that the CO2 isn't the bigger problem - it's the NOX and the particulates which are.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Every time the government comes across a problem they're having difficulty solving, they seem to always settle for taxing the shit out of it. 

This isn't how problems are solved surely? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bucket said:

Yes, because the government has finally realised that the CO2 isn't the bigger problem - it's the NOX and the particulates which are.
    And next they go for the Euro IV petrols (and earlier) which produce more particulates than a Euro VI diesel...
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    Well we just changed our diesel Civic to a new 1l petrol.
    So nice not to be driving a tractor.
    Performance is about the same and so much smoother to drive.
    With out driving (mainly city) the diesel doesn't use that much less fuel (about 6mpg less).
    Talking to the dealer Honda may never bring in a Diesel replacement and the second hand market for diesels in pretty much dead. Thankfully we had a guaranteed trade in value on our PCP.
    Even the fear of extra tax is working.