Diamond in the rough project guitars

What's Hot
lysanderlysander Frets: 574
What are some cheap guitars with good woods and finishes that just need a bit of fret / nut /setup work and some pickup or minor hardware upgrades to turn into excellent instruments ?

I would put G&L tribute guitars somewhat in that bracket for instance, although I once had one that had a messed up fretboard that was beyond simple help ( it had been cut too thick near the neck pocket and there was only so much fret leveling could do to get a decent action ).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    I suppose it is what you classify as cheap - But the PRS SE range are excellent with a god chassis that can easily benefit from better pick-ups and maybe a tweak on the set up - Ditto many Mex Fenders

as an overview you could apply your thoughts to most guitars that sell new around £300 to £800

The quality of budget/mid priced guitars has never been so good with so many to choose from
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Cool thx, yes I was thinking mostly around the £300 mark, so my G&L example is a bit over the mark, they were a bit cheaper when the £ was stronger.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    Cool thx, yes I was thinking mostly around the £300 mark, so my G&L example is a bit over the mark, they were a bit cheaper when the £ was stronger.
    everything was cheaper when the £ was stronger

I would rather buy a good used guitar for £300 and customise it as against a new guitar for £300

less depreciation and you should be buying a better guitar for you money
    Well yes obviously regarding the £ :) Agreed about buying used.
    So having done a bit of digging it seems there are a few brands that do really cheap imports (less than £200) that would be perfect for this.
    At the very least in the UK there is Encore, Gear4music's own brand, Harley Benton from Thomann, J&D and probably a few more.
    Quite a few telecaster that can be had for £100 or less in particular, makes sense as guitars don't get much simpler.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Harley Benton's are pretty decent guitars, some of the cheapest ones are basswood (not ripe for a refinish) but still good guitars, the LP alike ones got rave reviews in the HB challenge a few years back I seem to remember.
  • underdog said:
    Harley Benton's are pretty decent guitars, some of the cheapest ones are basswood (not ripe for a refinish) but still good guitars, the LP alike ones got rave reviews in the HB challenge a few years back I seem to remember.
    My (heavily modded) Harley Benton te52 has become excellent & has seen off several much more expensive guitars. I must acknowledge that this is due mainly to the excellent harness and pickup from OilCity that I installed once it became clear that it was a great guitar being let down by the electronics. 

From what I understand Chapman guitars are (or were) built with the intention of providing a good solid base to do your own mods. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Lower number Ibanez Studios are worth looking out for, ST50 upwards. Pretty good stock but there's one local to me that's been on commission sale for a while now at £199, but he would take £175 and I guess now £150 may be accepted. For the money it's excellent.  1979 MIJ.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

I once bought a Squire strat that played really well...  Cost 30 quid at a car boot sale  :)

Seriously...