Fender Flavours ?¿?

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
There is lots of expertise on the forum, so help me out here please.  

~ What are the different 'flavours' of Fender amps ?

~ And what makes the different sonic fingerprints of the family ?

I love the sound of a Twin Reverb, but they could level small villages, and weigh more than my house, so I really need to learn what the other amps they have produced over the years have to offer.  I am thinking more of the clean sounds here really, but a bit of O/D is always a welcome, if not entirely necessary option.

And on a related note

~ what do the boutique brands bring to the party ?
       Sonic differences, more variety, extended functionality.
       Are they really worth the extra price tag ?

Are there any good YouTube channels for getting a good idea of what the amps really sound like ?  It is so much easier to do some preliminary research this way, there is nowhere close to me to check anything out, and at the moment I am car-less too, so recommendations welcome...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30876
    A good way of thinking abut this is by aligning the finishs of the amps to the tone!

Tweed- rough and saggy
    Brownface: a little less rough, but still a bit messy and saggy.
    Blackface: pristine but with a dark undercurrent
    Silverface: sparkling, no darkness.

;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • This ^ is my experience too, spot on!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Cheers @Gassage , nice simple review there  :)

What about the various boutique offerings, do they follow a similar pattern or have more divergence ?

Also does the pattern hold true across the wattages and OP valve options ?

i.e. I assume that Princeton, Deluxe, Twin have a different 'flavour' as well as different wattages, or are they essentially louder versions of each other ?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30876

What about the various boutique offerings, do they follow a similar pattern or have more divergence ?

i.e. I assume that Princeton, Deluxe, Twin have a different 'flavour' as well as different wattages, or are they essentially louder versions of each other ?
    Pretty much so, but there's a few curve balls- e.g. TK Imperial is exctly what you'd expect from a great Blackface Deluxe but looks like a Bush TV.

I'd say that in terms of Tweeds, Viccie are a tad cleaner and Lazy J a tad dirtier than their inspirations.

@riftamps are very close to originals, possibly a little hotter.

Fender RI's pretty much nail it- I mean the VVRI is spot on as is the DRRI and esp the 57 Deluxe which is a hero.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Yes, I've noticed some slightly dodgy 'retro' styling on some, what's all that about?   :-\"

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    With the black/silverface type amps the smaller amps (Princeton, Deluxe Reverb etc.) aren't just smaller versions of the Twin.  They do have slightly different sound.  It might be partly the 6V6 vs 6L6 thing, but I think it's also partly down to the cab and speakers as well.
    edited April 2017
    I had a feeling that might be the case, thanks @crunchman ;;

Any ways of describing those differences, or quality YouTube resources to get a better idea ?

I guess another question is whether it is just EQ contouring differences which can be matched to a large extent, amp wise at least, or whether it is more subtle component and topology changes.
    edit:  I should have said that EQ question applies to the different 'black/silver face' flavours as well as the different models within.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    For me, I think the smaller amps aren't as big in the low end, and sound a bit warmer when they start to break up.
    Thanks @crunchman  :)

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Carr Sportsman...black face/silver face not sure which but puts me a smiley face!!!
  • Gassage said:

Pretty much so, but there's a few curve balls- e.g. TK Imperial is exctly what you'd expect from a great Blackface Deluxe but looks like a Bush TV.

I'd say that in terms of Tweeds, Viccie are a tad cleaner and Lazy J a tad dirtier than their inspirations.

@riftamps are very close to originals, possibly a little hotter.

Fender RI's pretty much nail it- I mean the VVRI is spot on as is the DRRI and esp the 57 Deluxe which is a hero.
    The Custom 57 Deluxe is indeed just beautiful. A very loud 12W as well.
    Thanks for that @BintyTwanger77  &  @JonHosker ;

• relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Gassage said:

Tweed- rough and saggy

What does saggy actually mean? I hear a lot about sag but zero idea what its all about. 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    There is lots of expertise on the forum, so help me out here please.  

~ What are the different 'flavours' of Fender amps ?

~ And what makes the different sonic fingerprints of the family ?

I love the sound of a Twin Reverb, but they could level small villages, and weigh more than my house, so I really need to learn what the other amps they have produced over the years have to offer.  I am thinking more of the clean sounds here really, but a bit of O/D is always a welcome, if not entirely necessary option.

And on a related note

~ what do the boutique brands bring to the party ?
           Sonic differences, more variety, extended functionality.
           Are they really worth the extra price tag ?

Are there any good YouTube channels for getting a good idea of what the amps really sound like ?  It is so much easier to do some preliminary research this way, there is nowhere close to me to check anything out, and at the moment I am car-less too, so recommendations welcome...
    Quadraverb :)   if you think twinreverb is heavy hahahahaha
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    relic245 said:What does saggy actually mean? I hear a lot about sag but zero idea what its all about. 
    You've clearly never met my ex-wife then?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685
    edited April 2017
    crunchman said:
    With the black/silverface type amps the smaller amps (Princeton, Deluxe Reverb etc.) aren't just smaller versions of the Twin.  They do have slightly different sound.  It might be partly the 6V6 vs 6L6 thing, but I think it's also partly down to the cab and speakers as well.
    Also bias type, cathode or fixed, Phase invertor type and negative feedback.  Also rectifier valve type and the size of the output transformer.  Some things are synonymous with others, like alnico speakers and cathode bias, I think it's quite hard to isolate any one factor from another.  Even cab type has so many variables, wood type, baffle type (fixed vs floating), size etc.  So many factors.  

Edit:  sorry some of my factors are general Fender factors and don't apply to specifically blackface / silverface.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    First proper amp was a Blues Deluxe, thought a Mesa should be better, it wasn't. Have since had lots of decent amps, Cornford, Koch, Rivera etc. but none of them have really come near what I want. Each time I've gone back to a Fender amp. Pro Juniors, Deluxe Reverb, Twin.

I'm back with my old Hot Rod Deluxe again and it seems that for me a Fender 6L6 powered amp is tonal heaven.  I really want another '68 Custom Twin, that was just epic.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited April 2017
    Richardj said:
    First proper amp was a Blues Deluxe, thought a Mesa should be better, it wasn't. Have since had lots of decent amps, Cornford, Koch, Rivera etc. but none of them have really come near what I want. Each time I've gone back to a Fender amp. Pro Juniors, Deluxe Reverb, Twin.

I'm back with my old Hot Rod Deluxe again and it seems that for me a Fender 6L6 powered amp is tonal heaven.  I really want another '68 Custom Twin, that was just epic.
    Nothing wrong with a HRD. In fact, I went a 'jam' recently where the other player had a posh silverface ProReverb (1970s job) and I prefered the sound of my HRD (mine is a Mk3) - literally swapped cables from the pedal boards and the HRD sounded bigger, warmer and clearer. Obv. no idea on valve ages etc in the ProReverb but the owner even commented on how good the HRD sounded.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    impmann said:
    Richardj said:

Nothing wrong with a HRD. In fact, I went a 'jam' recently where the other player had a posh silverface ProReverb (1970s job) and I prefered the sound of my HRD (mine is a Mk3) - literally swapped cables from the pedal boards and the HRD sounded bigger, warmer and clearer. Obv. no idea on valve ages etc in the ProReverb but the owner even commented on how good the HRD sounded.

The late 70's ultra-linear Pro Reverbs aren't that great, and I would expect a HRD to be at least as good.

I would take an early 70's Pro Reverb over a HRD though.
    edited April 2017
    relic245 said:What does saggy actually mean? I hear a lot about sag but zero idea what its all about. 
    You've clearly never met my ex-wife then?

Anthea Turner once remarked about how her once nice pert breasts had turned into something reminiscent of a boiled egg in a sock...

I guess that's gravity for you...     :-\"