The Fretboard Collective 17/08/2013

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
edited August 2013 in Studio & Recording tFB Trader
Hello All 

I thought I'd offer a backing track for the second of these. It's a Thin Lizzy Style demo I recorded for a previous band, but never got used. Once again the idea is to jam over it in whatever way you see fit and post the results here.

The chords are the same all the way through: | Bm | G | Em | F#m A |
The riff in the rocky bits is: B F# E F# A F# E F# and the first note moves with the bass note

You should be able to download the track from Soundcloud. If you have any trouble give me a shout and I'll post a direct link.

In terms of soloing it's going to be a Bm pentatonic.

For those of you that like to geek out it was done with Stephen Slate drums, a Warwick Streamer $$ V into a Sansamp VT, and IIRC a Fret King Esprit into an HT20 via the emulated output.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Sounds good! Will give it a go :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited August 2013
    Well here's my go.  Takes me a while to get going and I've still got the record button blues but enjoyed it anyway.  One take and I'm sure lots of you will do much better.

tFB Trader
    Nice work @daveww

This is the solo that I originally recorded for the track (so it's thankfully fairly short :) )

Again I think it's the direct out of a Blackstar HT20 and probably a strat with a Lil59 (but I can't really remember). The phaser and chorus were added with Reaper to make it sound a bit more interesting. 
    Good stuff.  Much more interesting than mine.  Sounds very 80s and really reminds me of something but i can't think what.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    This is a nice one - something a bit different!
    DaveWW - you are a brave man - I need about a thousand takes to do anything, the risk being that I micromanage any feel out of anything I do! I really liked the little ascending phrase at 1:10 - very melodic and I much prefer that to the frantic widdling school of playing.
    Monoquixote - lovely work on the backing track, you're clearly good at the song-writing and recording side of things - skills I'd love to develop myself. I was initially reluctant to ruin this by playing over the top as it sounded great as is.
    Your solo was lovely. That deeply phased, reverb sound was fantastic and worked really well with the slow phrasing. The chorus bit sounded like an ADT effect to me and I might have just been tempted to double it manually, seeing as we're playing at being Thin Lizzy here! Again, great phrasing and very much in keeping with the track style.
    Here's my go. Just messing around with doubling ideas on the "riff" parts. First solo is a single humbucker guitar (SA2200 semi) second is two tracks of strat set to different amp sims and pickup selections. Software used was Amplitube and Reaper. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Great work @basher ;

Some proper Thin Lizzy double guitar attack there :D

Loved the tone on the first drop down section, very smooth. 
    @basher Thank you for the feedback  Yours is very nice and well thought out.

You managed to keep it interesting and introduce some great changes still in keeping with overall feel.

Done. Found this one quite tough tbh- struggling to get hooky motifs in my head to stick once in the fingers, but here's my take. Slightly sloppy in the middle, and seems to highlight the intonation on my Strat is slightly off. I may be being over-critical...

@Basher - Some lovely stuff in there. Love the first half harmonised in particular.
    edited August 2013
    @stickyfiddle good job - swings a long nicely and very rhythmic.  I can see I'm going to have to do a few more takes on the next one I try....    :D

daveww said:
    @stickyfiddle good job - swings a long nicely and very rhythmic.  I can see I'm going to have to do a few more takes on the next one I try....    :D

Cheers. It was actually the first recorded take for me. I did a handful of run-throughs without the red button, then hit go for 3 takes and the first one was best, which is nice :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Some cracking stuff here, I like em all so far. I will give it a bash at the weekend me thinks.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    You're all mad! I can't solo for shit.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    @stickyfiddle Nice stuff - a lot more drive and, as Dave says, swing than mine. 
    Can't believe you folks can do this sort of thing in one go! I'm someone who ends up comping my favourite from multiple takes. Favourite bit is the phrase between approx 0:29 and 0:39. Loved the double stops and combination of a melodic idea with strong rhythmic phrasing. It sounded incredibly "composed" (in a good way) to me and it would stand up as a melodic riff/hook in it's own right.
    The tuning issues do detract a bit, which is a pity as the tone is fantastic. Possibly needs a bit less level or a bit of reverb to help it sit more into the track. Was surprised to hear it was a strat as I had it down as something a bit more Gibbo-esque. Anyway, it sounds very muscular, tight and focussed. Great stuff.
    @Basher Much appreciated. I agree on the mix being a bit out. It sounded right on headphones but mixing on ipad without using big speakers as well is never ideal.  

Tone-wise it's a little gainier than I'd have liked after a night's sleep, but that's probably me being fussy. It's a Strat with Rio Grande Halfbreed bridge pickup (the fattest strat pickup I've found that still sounds stratty) into a DrZ model in Jamup Pro, via a Stratoblaster preamp for even more fatness. It's a winning combination :)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Ok, I've had a go, but the Mrs came home so i've had to crop it a bit!  Just done an idea for an intro, verse and tried a solo.

@chrisj1602 nice well structured tasteful work on all the parts.  I think it's a good idea of your to do the intro, verse, solo thing.  Better than widdling all the way through it like mine.  Think I'm gonna try one of the new ones "Fat Tuesday" over the weekend....
  • My meagre effort - the result of half an hour of playing over it again and again. Kinda lost way towards the end.

Now to listen to the much better versions above!!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hhmm, my effort. Not sure, a bit atonal in places perhaps!