Compressor for Jangly clean stuff

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Might be joining an "atmospheric goth band" ...yeah a bit different to the same old covers I've been peddling for years, and could be the musical challenge I've been after.

I'm all good for modulation, delay and reverb...but a compressor could be useful.

Only compressor I've got on with was the Xotic SP but I sold that on.....so before I get another SP what other (ideally small footprint) compressors are worth looking at to keep my jangly clean stuff nice and even?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1161
    Mooer Yellow comp - cheap, small, subtle and good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Image result for janglebox
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    There is only one answer to this question.

Fairfield Accountant. 

Its quirky n all so you're goth band mates will love it
    How very rock and roll
    This one actually could be interesting with it's built in treble boost.

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    I'm selling a Diamond Comp Jr if that's of interest?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Suhr Koji 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2017
    I'm thinking a blend/mix control would be a useful feature...

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Dinasuaral compressor if you can find one
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    I just want to know what an atmospheric goth band is. Hopefully loads of Bauhaus but I might be barking up the wrong tree. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    The DOD 280 is good for sparkly clean sound. Also the Guyatone ST2 (which I happen to have available) does a spanky clean sound in spades. The Barber Tone Press compact also does a nice bright clean sound.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Lebarque said:
    I'm selling a Diamond Comp Jr if that's of interest?
    This could be a great bet, I love mine and the we let's you dial in some nice jangly stuff.
    I just want to know what an atmospheric goth band is. Hopefully loads of Bauhaus but I might be barking up the wrong tree. 
    @EricTheWeary  I'm not sure either....but the line-up's female vocals, a violin player, bass/drums, guitars with lots of effects and e-bows.

Sort of modeled on Eden House.... 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    They're a sort of Fields of the Nephelim side project I think, so bit of old school goth in there somewhere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • As per usual, I second (or third) whoever suggests the Fairfield Accountant before me.
    As per usual, I second (or third) whoever suggests the Fairfield Accountant before me.
    I just can't quite bring myself to spend £150 on something that looks so cheap and chucked togther!
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    As per usual, I second (or third) whoever suggests the Fairfield Accountant before me.
    I just can't quite bring myself to spend £150 on something that looks so cheap and chucked togther!
    Mate you owe it to yourself to at least try it. Trust me it doesn't feel cheap or chucked together at all. I never even got that feel from looking at it but now you've said it I can kinda see your POV but in the flesh it's a solid, quality piece of kit. But hey who am I to judge if you want to (incorrectly) judge a book by its cover ;-) 
    How very rock and roll
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The Orange compressor has a chime control I think? Might be worth looking at.
    Mate you owe it to yourself to at least try it. Trust me it doesn't feel cheap or chucked together at all. I never even got that feel from looking at it but now you've said it I can kinda see your POV but in the flesh it's a solid, quality piece of kit. But hey who am I to judge if you want to (incorrectly) judge a book by its cover ;-) 
    Ha ha, yeah I'll certainly consider it. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Diamond compressor. Johnny Marr uses one - what more recommendation for jangle could you want? MOst compressors squish the high end too much for my liking (Keeley et al). That's where the Diamond wins. Not too much squish and you can dial the top end up a bit if you need it. 

The Fairfield is good but no EQ onboard a la the Diamond put it down a few points in my book. The Janglebox (I've had most versions) was noisy and didn't impress me one bit. The Mooer is pretty good for the money but anyone who says it does what the Diamond does has cement in their ears. 

If one comes up, the Maxon CP101 is a very good bet for the money. Not too squishy or top end killing and quite often goes for about £50 to £60 on Ebay. 

Rothwell Love Squeeze is about the most transparent comp I've used. Does the volume levelling thing perfectly.