Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much does the guitar you use influency your sound

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm a big believer in the actual guitar is the core of your tone rather than your amp and effects, its why i hate amps like 6505's and Blackstar s1's because they make guitars sound very samey. I also get the same feel with EMG active pickups, they just seem to standardise a guitar to a certain sound, thats great if you want that generic and neutral sound but i like to hear the guitar itself.

I've grown up playing strats mostly, i've owned probably 10 Mex or Jap ones and 5 or 6 USA models, so i find i always play my best and most comfortably on a Strat. I really struggle with SG;s despite the fact i love the way they sound and look but they just dont fit with me and my style.

I've always been very careful in choosing amps and fx to compliment the guitar rather than the other way round, i think if you get the guitar right the amp should just add that bit more of your flavour.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I think we all get a bit spoilt with multiple guitars, digital modellers, playing field sized pedal boards and multi channel amps. Try doing a gig with just a couple of guitars (always carry a spare) and either a single channel amp or just using one channel of a multi. No pedals just the guitar's volume control to switch from clean to overdrive.

I got this the hard way at a festival a few years back. The power was provided by generators and my multi fx wouldn't work properly. I had a three channel amp but hadn't brought my spare foot switch. After the initial panic it was liberating to get back to basics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    A fair bit. I prefer to use the right tool for the job.

At the same time you can sometimes over-exaggerate their differences as well and claim that things won't work at all for something when in reality they just don't do it quite as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    mmmmm I might get a pasting for saying this but I think it depends how far down your own path you are.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    edited February 2014
    Dave_Mc said:
    A fair bit. I prefer to use the right tool for the job.

At the same time you can sometimes over-exaggerate their differences as well and claim that things won't work at all for something when in reality they just don't do it quite as well.
    Totally agree. I spent years refining my live rig to the point I was completely happy with it - guitar, pickups, strings, cables, pedals, amp, speakers - and I felt that each little bit I got right made my sound that little bit better and more in tune with what I was trying to do with it.

And then I went and played the same songs through a borrowed amp sometimes when we were sharing equipment, and sometimes on a whim I would take a different guitar if the colour of it suited the gig I was playing better (no I'm not kidding ;) ) and it really sounded just the same. I could tell it was different, and maybe even some of the people out front could too, but it was still the same really… in that it didn't affect the way the music was presented, if you see what I mean :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think that after a certain amount of time playing and gigging, you find the gear matters less, as you are able to get the sounds you want, with various styles of equipment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    And then I went and played the same songs through a borrowed amp ... and it really sounded just the same. I could tell it was different, and maybe even some of the people out front could too, but it was still the same really… in that it didn't affect the way the music was presented, if you see what I mean :).
    It's all in the fingers. lol. But I agree- I find that I sound like me, no matter what gear I use. Which is a bit annoying, having spent years trying to sound like other people.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    I really only feel 'in the part' playing with the new rockabilly band using a big-old semi. True a Tele ... or for that matter any of my guitars would produce the right notes ... but there's something to be said for the psychological advantage of going armed for the job. As soon as soon as we start gigging the 'look' will be as important as anything else of course: upright bass, greased back hair ... and day-glo superstrats? The audience would wet themselves ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ... and day-glo superstrats? The audience would wet themselves ...

Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited February 2014
    at the end of the day,  no matter what you 'believe' is in your fingers -  a  10lb mahogany guitar with two high output HBs  wont sound anything like a SSS strat  -- sure you can fuck about all day with  the volume and EQ and get an acceptable sound out of just one,  but if you have three guitars in your armoury, whats the point ?    use them to the max of what they excel at - thats the point of having different types isnt it ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    at the end of the day,  no matter what you 'believe' is in your fingers -  a  10lb mahogany guitar with two high output HBs  wont sound anything like a SSS strat  -- sure you can fuck about all day with  the volume and EQ and get an acceptable sound out of just one,  but if you have three guitars in your armoury, whats the point ?    use them to the max of what they excel at - thats the point of having different types isnt it ?
    Quite.

Have a wisdom.

• bertie said:
    This is fundamentally why, so long as I live, there will be a market for:

Strats
    Teles
    Jags
    Jazzmasters
    PRS Customs
    PRS Singlecuts
    ESP Superstrats
    Anything with the word 'Jackson' on the headstock

And Jooky.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited February 2014
    bertie said:
    This is fundamentally why, so long as I live, there will be a market for:

Strats
    Teles
    Jags
    Jazzmasters
    PRS Customs
    PRS Singlecuts
    ESP Superstrats
    Anything with the word 'Jackson' on the headstock

And Jooky.

And that, Gentlemen, is why we all have justifiable GAS ..... B-)

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    bertie;154271" said:

This reminds me of the old Brian May/ "crazy little thing called love" story.

He had spent ages trying to get his red wotsit to sound like a tele for the song and was suggesting a few more tweeks to get it closer, when someone replied

" Brian why don't you just use a tele...."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

mike_l said:
    ... and day-glo superstrats? The audience would wet themselves ...

Personally the smell of urine don't jingle my bells ....

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Personally the smell of urine don't jingle my bells ....

But seeing adult who've just lost control is funny. Especially when it's someone else.....

Yes I have an evil streak.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    How the hell did this thread end up discussing incontinence / water sports! :-S

And back on subject......

Personally I struggle to play thrash properly on anything other than my ESP. Non-thrash metal/heavy rock/rock is the domain of the Jackson/Ibanez and Charvel. And the Strat for Stratty stuff (eg Floyd etc)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I'm just loving the idea of a rockabilly band with dayglo superstrats - could be my next project ;-)
    tFB Trader
    Dayglo Gretsch maybe ...
    anything with a 'nail on combine harvester' (Floyd Rose) is too damn fussy ... :)