How to fix my wah

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited February 2014 in FX
I have an early 90's Morley Wah which I love. It's a great pedal and has done me proud over the years.

However I have taken a bit off and can't for the life of me work out how to get it back. Hopefully my description and the photos will make sense!

In trying to solve a squeak I ended up taking off the little metal right-angled "stopper" that fits on the end of the pedal to stop it banging. (See pic)
However, I now can't get it back on. It needs to be secured by the nut (see next pic) http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/lincolnblue/20140204_114801_zps1a450b73.jpg

However once I've positioned it back there is not enough space to fit my fingers or a pair of pliers to tighten the nut.

I don't want to take the foot pedal off for fear of not getting that back on either. Any ideas what I can do to tighten the nut?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Is there a shakeproof (star) washer under the nut? There should be really. If so, if you loosen the nut enough to slide the metal piece back in (making sure the washer is on the nut side), then force the metal piece away from the pedal as you tighten the screw, there should be enough friction to stop the nut turning.

I'd certainly give that a go before trying to take the pedal off...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

You should be able to get a spanner (possibly 6mm?) in there to hold the nut while you do up the screw.

Put the spanner in first, then the block.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBM said:
    Is there a shakeproof (star) washer under the nut? There should be really. If so, if you loosen the nut enough to slide the metal piece back in (making sure the washer is on the nut side), then force the metal piece away from the pedal as you tighten the screw, there should be enough friction to stop the nut turning.

I'd certainly give that a go before trying to take the pedal off...
    No it's just a standard nut. I've tried to use the friction to do it but to no avail. My only other thought is if a fast electric screwdriver would spin fast enough to do the job.
    edited February 2014
    No it's just a standard nut. I've tried to use the friction to do it but to no avail. My only other thought is if a fast electric screwdriver would spin fast enough to do the job.
    Unlikely if there's not enough friction to hold it anyway. Best to get a shakeproof washer - it will do a much better job and stop it coming loose again too.

You probably want something like this. It looks like about an M4 (it will be an American size but that's probably the closest metric - measure the screw diameter if you're in any doubt).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks I'll have to give that a try. It's just really annoying as something theoretically so simple is becoming a hassle. As this picture hopefully shows, I need to get something in the very small gap in order to hold the nut whilst tightening the screw. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    ...should have just liberally sparyed contact cleaner in the inner sanctum of the pedo....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thanks I'll have to give that a try. It's just really annoying as something theoretically so simple is becoming a hassle. As this picture hopefully shows, I need to get something in the very small gap in order to hold the nut whilst tightening the screw.
    Child's finger?

:)

I have adopted this method when fitting a jack socket to a guitar with a very small soundhole once ;).

I hasten to add that the rest of the child was still attached to the finger.

• Ha! If I had a child I'd try that. My wife has little fingers but that didn't work. Hmmm...
    Get an old fork and bend a couple of the prongs round? You probably only need to stop it rotating until friction takes over, even without the shakeproof washer - not actually hold it tightly.

• I'd have thought you could get a finger in to hold the nut. 

You could try super-glueing the nut to the other bit to hold it in place.
  • DONE IT!!! Thanks for the fork idea. I used a bent paper clip to hold the nut and managed to keep it steady so I could screw.

Thanks for all your help. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    blue-tac on the end of a screwdriver, or Allen key if you need something angled, and fix the nut on that?

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    DONE IT!!! Thanks for the fork idea. I used a bent paper clip to hold the nut and managed to keep it steady so I could screw.

Thanks for all your help. 
    NOW - LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

that's what you need.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)