Need advice - wah mods

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
I'm generally a fan of wah-before-fuzz. I've got a germanium fuzz face I love but my BBE wah just isn't bonding with it. It sounds bad after the fuzz and oscillates before it.

Has anybody had success with the foxrox/area51/etc output buffer mods in their wah, allowing the wah and fuzz to make friends? Or is it a load of rubbish?

Also, I want a wider sweep out of the wah, for slow synthy swells instead of just wakkawakka. Is there a pot that does this job?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I have the screaminFX wah fuzz buffer. I had it modded into true bypass as the wah was effected very very slightly (my vintage Clyde lost a touch of its character and sounded a touch more modern). Not only does it make the 2 pedals work together, it gives your fuzz an added pot allowing the drive, grit to come through as well as full whack muff fuzz. My germanium fuzz is improved by it. The other solutions are internal set and leave and therefore rather limiting. But you could mod your wah and have an external switch/ pot added. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You should try the Vertex Axis Wah.
    It's loosely based on the BBE but it's been extensively reworked with upgraded components. Years of painstaking research and innovation went into it's development.
     ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    lukedlb said:
    I have the screaminFX wah fuzz buffer. I had it modded into true bypass as the wah was effected very very slightly (my vintage Clyde lost a touch of its character and sounded a touch more modern). Not only does it make the 2 pedals work together, it gives your fuzz an added pot allowing the drive, grit to come through as well as full whack muff fuzz. My germanium fuzz is improved by it. The other solutions are internal set and leave and therefore rather limiting. But you could mod your wah and have an external switch/ pot added. 
    An internal set+forget is all I think I need, but it's reassuring to hear that a buffer did the trick for you.
    Sassafras said:
    You should try the Vertex Axis Wah.
    It's loosely based on the BBE but it's been extensively reworked with upgraded components. Years of painstaking research and innovation went into it's development.
     ;) 
    As ridiculous as all the Vertex nonsense is, they did swap out the pots on their "nos" version (although whether it was a better pot, I can't say). I think my BBE does need a new pot coz the sweep is weak and I'm constantly spraying cleaner in it to stop it sounding scratchy.