Have I completely destroyed these speakers?

What's Hot
andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
Ok, I decided to swap the speakers out of my Peavey 6505 212.  

Easy enough I thought, until I discovered they had been glued/painted into the baffle, the gasket is made from MDF so there was no give in it so when I pulled them out I left a good chunk of the cone behind stuck to the baffle. 

Now, I've had zero experience with torn speakers, never had one re-coned or repaired.
Although the tear hasn't gone all the way through the cone, if you hold the speaker up to the light you can see through where the tear is from behind. 

Are these now junk? is it worth repairing them or having them re-coned?  How much is a typical re-cone? Can you 'bodge' a repair on something like this or is the damage too great?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/andy1839/IMG_3704_zpsb3kxcoww.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/andy1839/IMG_3703_zpsa7doe596.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/andy1839/IMG_3702_zpsujaac6em.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/andy1839/IMG_3701_zpstkpcl7ty.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    You could probably repair them with some cellulose dope and the pieces that came off. Won't be perfect, but they should work OK. They will actually work now, but you may get some odd overtones from the damaged areas and there's a possibility of them tearing.

It's an easy thing to do if you haven't had it happen before so you're not expecting it. You need to carefully work round under the edge of the speaker with a flat blade like a paint scraper to prevent it happening, although it can be difficult to get at the complete edge in a lot of cabs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    They will actually work now, but you may get some odd overtones from the damaged areas
    Or they may sound really cool and unique and suddenly be worth a fortune :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited April 2017
    Doesn't look too bad to me. I would just glue the piece that came off back on.

Try using a water based white glue, and dilute it down a bit so that you can brush it on to the paper. I dont think you will notice a sonic difference, unless you leave parts of it unglued and flapping around.

I've seen a few people damage their speakers like this. As ICBM says, always use a feeler gauge or something to completely loosen the speaker under the rim, never try to yank them out. Also watch out for this damage when buying speakers. Not all speakers tear as visually obvious as this. Some people will tear the cone off the chassis but you wont be able to see the damage because the damage is on the underside of the gasket / cone edge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Doesn't look too bad to me. I would just glue the piece that came off back on.

Try using a water based white glue, and dilute it down a bit so that you can brush it on to the paper. I dont think you will notice a sonic difference, unless you leave parts of it unglued and flapping around.

I've seen a few people damage their speakers like this. As ICBM says, always use a feeler gauge or something to completely loosen the speaker under the rim, never try to yank them out. Also watch out for this damage when buying speakers. Not all speakers tear as visually obvious as this. Some people will tear the cone off the chassis but you wont be able to see the damage because the damage is on the underside of the gasket / cone edge.
    Well I can practice on these I suppose, unfortunately the pieces that came off were well and truly stuck to the baffle and there's nothing left. 

I've read on Internet that in the absence of the pieces that have torn off, they've used coffee filter paper instead. 

or would textile material be any good?
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I did all 4 in an old marshall 4x12 with kitchen roll and pva, - but then i got a new cab, it looks ok, and I suspect it would work out fine-as long as the coil isnt damaged. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    The rubber solution you get in puncture repair kits adds back strength to the cone but remains flexible. Paint on a thin layer to reinforce the edges where in flexes, watch out it set very fast!