Thoughts on cheap cabinet?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these few cabs:

1. Subzero 1x10 with Celestion Tube 10
2. Fame GN112 vintage with Celestion V30
3. Harley Benton GN112 vintage with Celestion V30

I'm planning on buying one as the prices are relatively good. If anyone has any opinions on them do let me know please.

The other thing I would consider is a second hand cab but there is always a problem of posting.

Thank you all in advance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited April 2017
    I've no direct experience with any on your list, but add the Jet City JCA12S+ to it. The stock Eminence is capable (although I swapped it out for a neo Jensen I had spare) and the cab features a convertible back and a simulated line out - it's a great little cabinet.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/12s

Agree about the Tube 10... it's a pants speaker.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Celestion Tube 10 is a pretty awful speaker, boxy and harsh, so any cab with it is never going to sound that great. Don't know the Fame, but I've seen and used a Harly Benton 2x12 with the V30s and it's a decent cab. Solidly made and sounds good. The 1x12 is on my shopping list.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    The Harley Benton gets a good bit of respect here, although I've not used it, the Jet City cabs are good too and can be picked up s/h pretty cheap. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Harley Benton is spot on for the money.  
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    I haven't tried the 1x12" Harley Benton, but the G212V is an excellent cab - all-ply, good quality construction (although the vinyl finishing can sometimes be a little rough especially round the back, and the PCB-mounted jacks are perhaps not the best quality) and costs new almost the same as the pair of V30s it contains. It's actually hard to sell them second hand for as *much* as the speakers are worth...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I was in a Thin Lizzy tribute with another guy who had the Harley Benton 1 X12" ..... when he brought it the price was less than buying the speaker on it's own. For a small 1 x 12 it's fine but I preferred the sound of my own much larger 1 x 12"
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Beef_Steak94Beef_Steak94 Frets: 12
    edited April 2017
    Cool thanks for the response guys. I can't seem to find these cabs second hand so I will just buy one from Thomann
    Cool thanks for the response guys. I can't seem to find these cabs second hand so I will just buy one from Thomann
    Make sure it's the 'Vintage' - the standard G112 is cheaper (especially as they seem to have some B-stock ones in) but is a much less good MDF cab with an inferior speaker. I have heard one of those, and it was quite average.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Make sure it's the 'Vintage' - the standard G112 is cheaper (especially as they seem to have some B-stock ones in) but is a much less good MDF cab with an inferior speaker. I have heard one of those, and it was quite average.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if I should wait till a B-stock vintage pops up or should I just go for it?
    Given the relatively small saving I'd probably just go for it - as it's quite a bargain anyway. They very rarely come up second hand either, the 2x12" is much more common - I think because it came out a long time before the 1x12", for some reason.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    ICBM said:
    I haven't tried the 1x12" Harley Benton, but the G212V is an excellent cab - all-ply, good quality construction (although the vinyl finishing can sometimes be a little rough especially round the back, and the PCB-mounted jacks are perhaps not the best quality) and costs new almost the same as the pair of V30s it contains. It's actually hard to sell them second hand for as *much* as the speakers are worth...
    I had one of the HB G212Vs and it was great sounded sooo much better than the Marshall 1936 I'd had previously. I also had a Montage 2x12 with WGS speakers that was great for the money too ! 
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the input, I pulled the trigger and bought the Harley Benton with the Vintage 30 in it. I understand that there probably would be bad resale value when I try to move it on but I will definitely enjoy it for now.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7286
    I have one of the HB cabs but i flogged the v30s and put in neos instead.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ