Went looking for a new guitar, got legalese, T&Cs and a lot of gift vouchers

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    grungebob said:
    In general I've had good service from them in the past but last year I bought a new guitar, except it wasn't. The guitar was over a year old, had fingerprints all over it and general dust and grease. After trapping them in a lie via emails they eventually refunded me £150 on a £799 guitar so I was content to keep it. 

I wont use them again. 

I don't know how they don't realise this is wrong?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Mooster said:

The refund happened - I returned the guitar, they inspected it, accepted and refunded me the full amount - with the catch that it's in gift vouchers.
    Yes, but the point is that Guitar Guitar went beyond what was required of them - they would have been within their rights to decline any sort of refund.

Around ten years ago I bought an American Standard Telecaster from a shop in Denmark Street. I had buyer's remorse and wanted to return it for a refund and they flatly refused. I protested and they just told me to piss off.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoosterMooster Frets: 68
    Brize said:
    Mooster said:

The refund happened - I returned the guitar, they inspected it, accepted and refunded me the full amount - with the catch that it's in gift vouchers.
    Yes, but the point is that Guitar Guitar went beyond what was required of them - they would have been within their rights to decline any sort of refund.

Around ten years ago I bought an American Standard Telecaster from a shop in Denmark Street. I had buyer's remorse and wanted to return it for a refund and they flatly refused. I protested and they just told me to piss off.
    Around a year ago I bought a couple of Echopark pedals from Coda Music under too much giddy enthusiasm and when I went home I realized that the fuzz was untamable and the boost didn't suit my rig. I drove straight back and Doug said, "No worries, mate. We'll credit back to your card." He didn't have to but there is top notch customer service out there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Brize said:
    Mooster said:

Thank you for making the point I was trying to make better than I did.

No right to a refund - but they gave one - albeit designed to make sure the business comes back to them.

Pretty reasonable in my book....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited April 2017
    How pressured were you to buy something?  This is a serious question. There's an important distinction as between an eager and attentive sales person, and a pressurised sale which goes beyond what might reasonably be expected and crosses over into badgering such that you felt under undue pressure to purchase something.  See here:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-protection-from-unfair-trading-regulations-2008

I'd be surprised if Guitar Guitar fell into this category but I thought it was at least worth flagging.

I think its worth talking to Guitar Guitars store manager and explaining that before visiting the store you looked on line and didnt realise the return and refund policies varied between online and shop, particularly as other big stores like Andertons dont differentiate. Tell them that because of these factors you dont feel you've been treated fairly and ask them to reconsider and give a cash refund. 

If they still refuse, then you can either accept the position or fight your corner. You don't always have to be legally right under the strict letter of the law to gain fair treatment and the concept of treating customers fairly can go beyond this. I would definitely discuss with Citizens Advice Bureau. But first I would lay down an audit trail by putting everything in writing, nicely, rationally, and in detail, and I would send it recorded delivery.  Its harder for a store to say no in writing than over the phone when a customer has formally complained that they don't feel they've been treated fairly.

I'm pretty good at this type of thing and would be happy to help you structure a letter if this might be helpful..feel free to pm me.  

Rich
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Mooster said:

Around a year ago I bought a couple of Echopark pedals from Coda Music under too much giddy enthusiasm and when I went home I realized that the fuzz was untamable and the boost didn't suit my rig. I drove straight back and Doug said, "No worries, mate. We'll credit back to your card." He didn't have to but there is top notch customer service out there.
    Yep, Coda are exceptional when it comes to that sort of thing and that's why practically everyone on this board that's dealt with them has good things to say.

Guitar Guitar are a different type of company - multiple sites, big retail spaces, massive overheads, etc. You'll also be dealing with staff who are just following rules, rather than the guvnor who can take a view on things.

Treat it as a lesson learned. In future, try not to be pressured into buying something that you're not sure of, possibly by leaving the store to grab a drink while you think about it. If you're unsure, go home and buy online so you can return the product for a full refund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Mooster: Ask to speak to Glen at GG Brum. He's the store manager and he's a top bloke. Explain that you've been lumbered with the vouchers and you'd like to try some guitars from other stores. He may help to resolve the situation for you.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    edited April 2017
    Voxman said:
    How pressured were you to buy something?  This is a serious question. There's an important distinction as between an eager and attentive sales person, and a pressurised sale which goes beyond what might reasonably expected and crosses over into badgering such that you felt under undue pressure to purchase something.  See here:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-protection-from-unfair-trading-regulations-2008

I'd be surprised if Guitar Guitar fell into this category but I thought it at least worth flagging.

I think its also worth talking to Guitar Guitar and explaining that before visiting the store you looked on line and didnt realise the return and refund policies varied between online and shop, particularly as other big stores like Andertons dont differentiate. Tell them that because of these factors you dont feel you've been treated fairly and ask them to reconsider and give a cash refund. 
    I was also wondering along these lines...
  • MoosterMooster Frets: 68
    I think its also worth talking to Guitar Guitar and explaining that before visiting the store you looked on line and didnt realise the return and refund policies varied between online and shop, particularly as other big stores like Andertons dont differentiate. Tell them that because of these factors you dont feel you've been treated fairly and ask them to reconsider and give a cash refund. 
    Yep, I argued it all especially as the T&Cs on the website don't say that it's for the website only. It is confusing and they haven't been very understanding.
    Guitar Guitar are a different type of company - multiple sites, big retail spaces, massive overheads, etc. You'll also be dealing with staff who are just following rules, rather than the guvnor who can take a view on things.

Yep, I've hunted around calling their support line and customer support email address trying to find a senior person who could take a view on things and when I reached the store director, he was the most irritated of the lot! I got the full spiel on them not being a "lending library" by people like me.

I wouldn't say "don't do business with them, they're evil." But I would say as point 1 and 2 above, protect yourself with online sales because the T&Cs are clear there, and there is better customer service out there.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    I would use the vouchers to buy a packet of strings once a week for 5 years.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    I would use the vouchers to buy a packet of strings once a week for 5 years.
    That would probably be their ideal scenario..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
  • SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    I would use the vouchers to buy the best deal on a second-hand guitar or amp that you can find in the shop, whether or not it's exactly what you want. Then give it a chance for a few weeks - sometimes you can find you like something better than you did initially, just as you have with the opposite - and if you don't get on with it, sell it privately for as close to the price as you can get. That gets you out of the situation with the least possible loss - or potentially, with something that you actually like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    Can you 'sell' the voucher? Just wondering....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Can you use the vouchers in their online shop?

If so...spend it all in the online shop and then return it within the 30 day grace period for a refund.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited April 2017
    Mooster said:

I ended up settling on a Martin 000-15M, but the moment I arrived home I realised that I had settled under the sales pressure and whilst it was okay, it was not exactly what I wanted.

How old are you? 

Will say though that guitar guitar have no qualms about selling used internet returns as new gear... 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753

Will say though that guitar guitar have no qualms about selling used internet returns as new gear... 
    Isn't selling display items as "new" pretty much standard in shops?

I've never had a discount offered in PMT because something was out in the store, I always have to ask for a deal.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5409

If so...spend it all in the online shop and then return it within the 30 day grace period for a refund.
    ... in which case they are entitled to refund in gift vouchers ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Whitecat said:

... in which case they are entitled to refund in gift vouchers ... 
    True enough, but if that happens then he's no worse off than he was before (return postage notwithstanding).
    <space for hire>