Which Overdrive/distortion pedal

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
edited April 2017 in FX
the ever continuing search continues...

I play strats/teles/les pauls through generally cleanish Fendery type amps.   looking for a overdrive/distortion pedal that will stack well with a klone pedal and go from medium crunch to heavy rock.   I'll use the klone for a boost/low drive.
 Versatility is the key for this, but also needs to be reasonably compact

I have an old rat which I like but i do find it tends to make everything sound the same. so please no rats.

.stuff I've had and not going to get again, simply cos want something different rather than them being bad!  Can't remember the full list but a few of them below.

OCD
Fulltone Plimsoul
Rothwell Hellbender
DLS
Barber Small fry
Blackstar distortion and dual
Boss DS1
lovepedal eternity
trex moller
tc nova drive
buffalo td-x
Proco Rat
Fulltone GT500, fulldrive
thorpy gunshot.
trex gristle king
Boss od3
Marshall guvnor
Danelectro transparent drive v1
Tube screamers
jekyll and hyde

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12896

Have you tried an MXR Distortion+?

It's perhaps not the most versatile but its a great sounding drive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I recommend trying out the Xotic BB preamp or the Emma Stinkbug. Both of those pedals work wonderfully with Telecasters and can get dirty enough for heavy rock. Not heavy metal though.
    They're very transparent with single coil pickups.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    It depends what you mean by "heavy rock", but if your definition is rooted more in the 70s school of grunty Marshalls than in, say, 90s Triple Rectifiers then I think you could do far worse than to check out the Skreddy Screwdriver.

Very versatile. Particularly special with Strats.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• How did you find the Buffalo TD-X with your fender amp?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    How did you find the Buffalo TD-X with your fender amp?
    I hated it. 
       Could not get a good sound out of it with a Wienbrock Gringo (5e3 type). hughes kettner statesman, or a quilter Pro Block.  the videos sound amazing,
      Sounded like a bunch of bees swimming in  a vat  fizzy lemondade..

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    thomasw88 said:
    I hated it. 
       Could not get a good sound out of it with a Wienbrock Gringo (5e3 type). hughes kettner statesman, or a quilter Pro Block.  the videos sound amazing,
      Sounded like a bunch of bees swimming in  a vat  fizzy lemondade..

Then you wouldn't like the Fat Sandwich I was about to recommend.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Take a look at demos on yt for Jet city Afterburner......has boost too & plenty of adjustment in there. Also built like a tank
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Gurus dd1959. would enable you to sell the klon too.  Also allows you to go direct to desk in a pinch,though compact it is not.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I just got a carpe diem -  really impressed with it at rehearsal last night. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Loving the Mini Fu*k from Smallsound/Bigsound. Definitely the OD I've been looking for. Can be a bit fuzzy (which I like), but tightens up pretty well, and stacks really well with a TS9. Using it with a silverface.
    John_P said:
    that looks quite good actually.  how dirtteeee will it go? and does it clean up nicely?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    deeply uncool/trendy but none the less ace are tone freak effects IMO,, i have their Abunai 2 which, when cranked sound superb....
    mgaw said:
    deeply uncool/trendy but none the less ace are tone freak effects IMO,, i have their Abunai 2 which, when cranked sound superb....
    how does that sound with the klone?
  • If you're after versatility... I recently started using the Earthquaker Devices Talons pedal. It can do a pretty good clean boost, drive, distortion and even a pretty good fuzz type sound.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    thomasw88 said:
    John_P said:
    that looks quite good actually.  how dirtteeee will it go? and does it clean up nicely?
    I still need a pedal to give a bit more gain as it doesn't quite get into riot/pinnacle/crunchbox levels - fully cranked is around half gain on those or thereabouts.  But it has plenty of variation with the hot rod mode and boost switch.    Rolling back the guitar volume it cleans up very smoothly.   Early days but imo it actually lives up to the hype. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    which players define your ideal medium crunch / heavy rock sounds  ? 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    FWIW the TD-X is best with the the treble on zero ala EJ. You've tried most of the food groups so check out the Nobels ODR-1, its kinda MIAB but no peaky midrange, huge low end. By itself it works best on a bridge single coil, fat. Stacked I run mine into a zen style drive to add more grit and cut the lows a bit. 
    Winny_Pooh said:lo
    FWIW the TD-X is best with the the treble on zero ala EJ. You've tried most of the food groups so check out the Nobels ODR-1, its kinda MIAB but no peaky midrange, huge low end. By itself it works best on a bridge single coil, fat. Stacked I run mine into a zen style drive to add more grit and cut the lows a bit. 
    I've had 2 of these before and they're awesome. But I want something different that will also do more of a distortion sound
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Maybe you should try the Suhr Riot or Wampler Pinnacle, both fairly saturated and definitely not transparent.