What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7125
    edited May 2017
    What a night that was - the bloke is incredible

https://imgur.com/gallery/ek589

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Awesome @DrCornelius glad you enjoyed. He really is on another level. Wish I could catch him in action.
    Thanks , he said he's going to be back towards the end of this year doing more dates, hopefully one near you :-)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited May 2017
    Given the enthusiasm for Mr Gales on here I made a last-minute decision to see him play the Sage Gateshead tonight.  Very impressive indeed.  His playing is staggeringly good, and the presentation is far more effective than anything he has on record (I find his latest to be a touch on the cheesy side, as songy albums by virtuoso guitarists often are).  The Hendrix influence is plain to see.  But more than just the playing, he's an engaging performer who knows how to work a crowd and weave his backstory into the show too.

Technique-wise, his upside-down stringing makes it tricky to follow what he's doing, but I do think it actually brings a lot of benefits.  Particularly to his left (picking) hand, because the pick is used for the treble strings and the fingers pluck the bass.  Because it's a lot easier to play lead with a pick, that's actually the right way round instead of the far more tricky conventional method of using the pick on the bass strings and fingerpicking the treble.  That tends to lend itself to rhythmic styles, but having the strings upside down means it's a lot easier to play a conventional solo with a pick and accompany oneself on the bass.  

Have any right-handed players had cause to play a left-handed guitar upside down?  It probably isn't that difficult, you just have to think mirror image.  Certainly a lot easier than trying to play with the "wrong" hands.
    Thanks , he said he's going to be back towards the end of this year doing more dates, hopefully one near you :-)
    cheers man, we don't get too many big acts in Mombasa though! 
    Bugger didn't realise !   On well there's always Paul Simon ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't believe I missed this. Eric is one of my favourite players 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I posted a vid and his webmaster msg'ed me to ask if they could use it on Eric's page :) 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    great scott! unbelievable.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    @Vaiai said:
    I posted a vid and his webmaster msg'ed me to ask if they could use it on Eric's page :) 

I was the tall chap standing just to your left, great gig, very much enjoyed him and the opening band too

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I don't know about anyone else but whenever I scan the list of discussions I see "Eric Gales *lives* in sleepy Dorset"
    Yeah Steve he's got a static caravan in weymouth and spends his off days carp fishing in Sherborne :-)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I don't know about anyone else but whenever I scan the list of discussions I see "Eric Gales *lives* in sleepy Dorset"
    Glad it wasn't just me. It must be a northern thing due to far too much sunshine over the last week.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited May 2017
    Ignore. Duplicate. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Crap...... beaten to it. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Seen him Monday night at The Sage in Gateshead, phenomenal player, some great tunes too.

Some of his patter between songs went on a bit too long and you can tell he's a little emotionally fragile from his previous addictions but it's great to see him healthy, sober and playing so well.

And 'Swamp' is one of the best tunes you'll ever hear!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    longjaw said:
    you can tell he's a little emotionally fragile from his previous addictions
    Borderline Jesus complex I would say. Basically saying he's channelling God through his playing. Although I guess that's pretty commonplace in the gospel scene, it's perhaps a bit rich for this side of the pond. 
  • Hi all,  just in case any local (to me) folks aren't aware, Mr Gales is back at Mr Kyps in Poole this Sunday supported by the lovely Elles Bailey. As far as I know there are a few £17 tickets available.   If you are going and see me staggering around gurning like an idiot please say Hi and make sure I get home safe :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    He's awesome ...love his playing..
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    He's playing in my neck of the woods next week. Really looking forward to seeing him, I've been a fan for a long time.