Axe Fx standard or POD HD X

What's Hot
iamlegioniamlegion Frets: 0
Hi guys,

I'm stuck between getting a POD HD X or an Axe FX standard the older 2011 model
I've heard axe fx II tops all but I can't afford one so I'm looking at alternatives

My question is, even though the axe fx standard is old now, what do you guys think would be the best option?
I've heard the axe fx standard is old tech now but do you guys still think it tops the POD HD X?

any advice would be much appreciated! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Axe FX. No contest. Many of the FX are the same as in the latest model. The amp modelling may not be the latest, but it's far better than the POD.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I have no clue about the POD, but I use an old Axe Fx Standard at home for practice and I absolutely love it. I have simple tastes and it does just what I want so I have no interest in 'upgrading' to a newer model.
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited April 2017
    If you really must choose between the two I'd go Axe Fx Standard.

If you're open to other options I'd take the Atomic Amplifire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I've heard the POD can sound quite fizzy, that's cool to hear you're happy with the axe fx standard! @axisus ;

@Fiftyshadesofjay ;
    Thanks for the recommendation, may I ask why you'd go with the Atomic Amplifire over the Axe FX standard?

Cheers all! :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Looking at ebay, used Axe-FX standards seem to go for about £700 to £800?

And you need a foot controller.

For that - I'd go with the Helix LT instead.
  • Not tried an Axe Fx, Kemper or Helix.. but I can get a decent tone or two from my HD500X that I like.. any most punters don't care.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• @fretmeister  Is a foot controller needed to work the Axe Fx? or can I use one without?

thanks for the recommendation, would you say the Helix tops the Axe FX standard?
    Cheers

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    You can use it without, but you'll need your fingers to swap sounds. Difficult for live or jams or even recording your basic time keeping track.

IMHO (others will disagree) I think the Helix tops the Axe FX 2. When you see Helix -v- Fractal -v- Kemper arguments, they are all talking about the lastest tech versions. All are several generations beyond the Axe FX Standard.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The advantage of going the Helix LT route is continued support as it's new technology. Fractal are excellent in keeping the older Axe-Fx models current but eventually there will be a point where we all will have to upgrade the units. The proper foot controller for the Axe-Fx is excellent but bloody expensive even secondhand . As a confirmed AxeFx fan boy I'd still recommend the Helix LT if that's the budget you have to play with and don't be shy in asking questions, when you cut through some of the guff here is a handy resource and could save you time and money :)
  • At this price point I'd go Helix LT over Axe FX Standard.

It's got decent sounds and ongoing current support. It'll also be easier to use

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Not tried an Axe Fx, Kemper or Helix.. but I can get a decent tone or two from my HD500X that I like.. any most punters don't care.

You really should try one or all of the above, the punters might not care but as a guitarist a 'decent tone' won't put a smile on my face
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2017
    The playing response of the Axe FX 2 is fantastic.  The low end tracks the note really well (both clean and driven amps) giving a solid feel, and you can really dig into it and the amps respond nicely...  The latest firmware with updated speaker distortion and compression feel noticeably better again, super responsive (though you wouldn't use these through a cab, only through IRs).  Feels miles better than playing my old HD500x, and any other software I've tried (the only major one I've not tried is S Gear).
  • @fretmeister @sweepy ;;
    I'll take a look at the helix, thanks guys.

Yeah I've been looking around and everyone seems to be comparing kempers and pods to the axe fx II mostly.

The majority seems to think Axe FX II is better than the POD HD PRO X, but my curiosity is about the Axe Fx standard.  

@guitarfishbay ;
    What are your thoughts on the Axe FX standard?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The Axe-Fx Standard is a great bit of kit but it's a few generations old and the foot switch is expensive and necessary. Some people use the FCB1010 with UNO chip to control the Axe-Fx and have great results, check out the Fractal Forum and you'll get more of an overview
  • John_A said:
    Not tried an Axe Fx, Kemper or Helix.. but I can get a decent tone or two from my HD500X that I like.. any most punters don't care.

You really should try one or all of the above, the punters might not care but as a guitarist a 'decent tone' won't put a smile on my face
    I agree that trying them allows for a more formed opinion, not sure why I even brought the big 3 into this.... I merely intended to add some balance to the discussion..  None of the modellers mentioned here are poor devices that much is clear......
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• iamlegion said:
    Yeah I've heard the POD can sound quite fizzy, that's cool to hear you're happy with the axe fx standard! @axisus ;

@Fiftyshadesofjay ;
    Thanks for the recommendation, may I ask why you'd go with the Atomic Amplifire over the Axe FX standard?

Cheers all! :)
    Axe Standard is a good bit of kit but it takes a fair bit of effort to dial in. That's not really true with the latest modelling tech but definitely is with the older generation. 

With the Atomic you get a fully supported modern generation modeller built into a decent footswitch, especially if you go for the Amplifire 12. 

I do do agree that the Helix Lt look like it'll be a good shout as well.
  • As a converted Axe FX II user, I can wholly recommend the Fractal range, however, I've not tried the first generation units, and can vouch for the Helix moreso than that...I'd agree with everyone above that it's worth your time to seek one out to try. Axe FX II however...that's a whole different ball game! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17599
    tFB Trader
    I'd go amplifire or helix lt
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'd go amplifire or helix lt
    Me too, it's up to date technology that's getting updated all the time, comes with a pedalboard and depending where you buy a 3 year guarantee 
  • I think you need to try them, use the interface, let your ears decide,  only way to decide really.
    My trading feedback