PRS knobs....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
edited April 2017 in Guitar
On the PRS custom 22 (2008)......the 3 regular round  knobs, what is the set up Folks? 
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Volume, tone, 5-way rotary pickup selector.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    Right Sporkers ,how about the 5 way?  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I thought this was about people who play guitars with fancy maple tops for a moment...

What, Les Pauls?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Five way rotary switch- full bridge, outer coils in parallel, inner coils in series, inner coils in parallel, full neck.  I think.
  • SonicScytheSonicScythe Frets: 59
    edited June 2017
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14032
    tFB Trader
    Richardj said:
    Five way rotary switch- full bridge, outer coils in parallel, inner coils in series, inner coils in parallel, full neck.  I think.
    effectively correct - I tend to break it down to humbucker bridge, split, humbucker both, split, humbucker neck - to make it easy ( others are not sure what outer coils in parallel mean) - even substitute split to Fender-esq
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It's never both humbuckers like a Les Paul though is it. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    It is indeed not. The two inner coils in series just sound like a louder version of the inner coils on parallel to me.
    Bummer, no twin HB PUP mix ala  les paul.....are they ( other coil mixes) nice usable sounds?
    tae be or not tae be
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:
    It is indeed not. The two inner coils in series just sound like a louder version of the inner coils on parallel to me.
    sorry - you are correct - me typing without thinking - well spotted - still effectively HSHSH
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's why I switched mine to a push/push with a  3 way toggle.  I missed both humbuckers together and the middle position on the rotary was always the one I liked least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    edited April 2017
    The five sounds are as follows:

Full
    Thin and uninspiring
    Nasal and uninspiring
    Thin and slightly differently uninspiring
    Aggressive

Does that help?

:)

Although I did think this was going to be about those horrible slippery 'lampshade' knobs they use now, instead of the nice normal round 'speed' knobs they used to... 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    hootsmon said:
    Bummer, no twin HB PUP mix ala  les paul.....are they ( other coil mixes) nice usable sounds?
    tis no biggie to mod it as so many folks have already done..the rotary can easily be replaced for a 3 way toggle switch like a LP...and a push/pull or push/push to get the split sounds if you want 'em.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    but the 5 sounds on the rotary are superior to the 6 you get with push/pull in my opinion. well they may sound better now using the "prs" trick of the partial tap?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Sorry - thought it was a thread about Carlos Santana!
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    grungebob said:
    but the 5 sounds on the rotary are superior to the 6 you get with push/pull in my opinion. well they may sound better now using the "prs" trick of the partial tap?

If someone could tell me how to wire up a guitar with a 3way+push/pull and still retain the same positions as the 5 way....
    tFB Trader
    Halikus said:
    grungebob said:

If someone could tell me how to wire up a guitar with a 3way+push/pull and still retain the same positions as the 5 way....
    I'm pretty certain it can't be done with the 5 way rotary (if it can I've not seen a diagram) - the 5 way blade has a different way of doing it, but obviously you can't interchange those 2 formats of switch - look inside at the 5 way rotary and you'll see it has many tags so allows for many functions - whereas a 3 way is the most simple
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Richardj said:
    effectively correct - I tend to break it down to humbucker bridge, split, humbucker both, split, humbucker neck - to make it easy ( others are not sure what outer coils in parallel mean) - even substitute split to Fender-esq
    I was thinking it was *actually* correct ;)

I never really use the both 'buckers on option so thought it sounded useful.