consolidating some mistakes into something playable...

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16547
I started doing some acoustic stuff a few years back, but have still not finished one.  I keep getting distracted along the way.

I have managed an unusual thinline I am kinda happy with, and have a 9 string fanned fret acoustic about 80% built, but I wanted to take a few steps back before driving that one to the finish line.  Along the way i have had some part made bodies and necks and decided to see if i could bring some of them together int an unusual little instrument

So I have made a little 9 string acoustic parlour.  

The top is port orford cedar, I made a mistake on the rosette, so filled it in and used a soundhole decal (shock horror!!).  It had a few marks on the top so I stained it with a walnut stain, thought it was too dark so sanded back and followed with antique oak/pine mixed together

Back and sides are some plain walnut.  

All the bracing has been reclaimed from practice attempts

Neck is one piece mahogany - bolt on in an attempt to stick with what i know.

The fretboard is some spare ebony with left over cream plastic dots

Tuners are some cheap ones I had lying around, but  may not get used as the current buttons are too large 

Head and scratchplate are thin celluloid sticky back plastic, although the adhesive is white so I may have a go at cleaning that off and using something clear, its a really nice translucent torty and the white backing makes in nastily bright.  the binding is also tortoiseshell

Its getting an OEM fishman pickup& pre-amp too

The bridge is currently a 12 string one, but I may redesign and make an ebony one or just put 3 cream dots in the spare string holes... undecided

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Well, that's a curious looking little thing.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Interesting build and recycling......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I have to say that I rather like the look of that! How does it work, are three strings doubled up like on a 12 string?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    yeah, they will be doubled up, on the high strings.  Should be interesting.

Once i have all the 9 string quirks worked out on this I will be in a better place to finish the bigger fanned fret version
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    It looks great Wez.  I like the tortoiseshell headstock facing.  I bet it will sound really nice.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I'm serious when I say I am very interested in that if you want to sell it at some point, it's right up my street :) 
    I am quite a way off even thinking about that, but it's nice to know the idea appeals to others
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    It  sure does, the smaller lines, and shape is lovely, I want first refusal! 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Was the 3/6 to do with the machine heads you had?  A 4/5 would have given more room for the keys
    PhilKing said:
    Was the 3/6 to do with the machine heads you had?  A 4/5 would have given more room for the keys
    More to do with the way it's being strung, I wanted to keep it feeling logical when tuning. 
    not a great pic, but i finally got this strung up.  I still have loads to do on the finish and electrics, but wanted a test fit before i went any further

I have not done any fret work yet or shaped the saddle, but it already plays well and the intonation is very close to perfect straight off the bat.   It was sounding a bit boxy as i was tuning it up  - but it sprang to life pretty quickly.  I think I have got a rather special little guitar on the go here

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Quirky and cool. But, can anything be done about the sound hole? It deserves something.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    What do you mean.  It will have a label inside at some point but it probably won't get any fancier decoration around it
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839

I don't know! For some reason my eyes keep getting drawn to it. A label may just be the thing it needs. Maybe you should just ignore me. It's damn cool though. To me, a tortoiseshell headstock shouldn't work, but it really does.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Cool - I like that.  How's the fan-fretted one getting on (or did you finish it and I missed it)?

getting there

"9 string fanned fret acoustic about 80% built, but I wanted to take a few steps back before driving that one to the finish line"

In all honesty, I probably bit off more than I could chew with that one... but it will still get finished eventually

Sesh said:

I don't know! For some reason my eyes keep getting drawn to it. A label may just be the thing it needs. Maybe you should just ignore me. It's damn cool though. To me, a tortoiseshell headstock shouldn't work, but it really does.

I know what you mean, I almost feel like the soundhole looks too big, and the wide ring doesn't help with that
  • WezV said:

getting there

"9 string fanned fret acoustic about 80% built, but I wanted to take a few steps back before driving that one to the finish line"

In all honesty, I probably bit off more than I could chew with that one... but it will still get finished eventually

Yes sorry, I noticed that about 30 seconds after posting :anguished: 

It looked really good last time you posted a progress picture - I'm sure it'll work out fine.