Strymon, Axe FX & Helix

What's Hot
DanRDanR Frets: 1041
With all the increases a Bigsky and Timeline will cost about £900.

For all of you who have owned them is it worth spending the little extra on an AXE or Helix, I'm only really after the delays and reverbs.

Thanks

Danny
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28117
    I think that might be a bit like buying a nuclear power station to use the showers.

The Helix has some decent delays and reverbs, but I'm not sure if they rival dedicated units. You can do more with them though, running multiple instances in series and parallel with EQ or modulation or dirt or pitch shift and so on. But if you're not going to use anything else it seems a lot to lug about.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't rate the Timeline at all. The BigSky is good, but I think there are better reverbs out there that do the main sounds we all gravitate toward...spring, plate etc. 

In answer to your actual question, I'm also not sure, judging by what I've heard from some that the FX8 is worth the extra cash. And I can't say I was overly enamoured by the range of effects on the Helix, I mean they are great but no better than the Strymon big three.

Now, if you were looking for an all in one, including amp modelling...I'd say yes, do it and go feet first all in...if you have time and patience to get the tones you want out of it, it's a rewarding process.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    It's just for home use.

Im just trying to see if the Strymons are better than the others as we're sat in the same ball park price wise now.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Helix delays are excellent. As good as Time line, dd500 etc IMO, I'm not so keen on the reverb as yet.

Helix LT is 875 ish, and is way more flexible, even if you only use the delays + has built in Expression pedal for delay parameter manipulation.

If the reverbs were a bit better it would be a no brainer, 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I shall have a watch of your videos later Drew.
    You better.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sporky said:
    I think that might be a bit like buying a nuclear power station to use the showers.

To be fair the showers are really bloody hot tho...
  • Hi Drew! You saved me a lot of copy pasting as I was going to link some of your vids.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    For the same money you could have a Fractal FX-8, with lots of studio quality FX thrown in for free. There are several in the Classifieds, so you could try and move it on if you didn't like it:
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/96396/wtt-wts-fractal-fx8-reduced-to-800#latest
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/100034/fs-ft-fractal-fx8-v1-plus-kicktags-plus-humbuster-cable-just-799-plus-postage#latest

It's only worth stretching to a Helix or an AxeFX if you want to try amp modelling.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hi Drew! You saved me a lot of copy pasting as I was going to link some of your vids.
    Hi Max!! Get off my trainnnnn!!!!
    edited April 2017
    @Roland it was the used ones at £800 that were making me think again. 
  • @DanR I can't comment on how they sound with a valve amp, but the delays and reverbs in the Axe FX with digital amp modelling (my only point of reference), sound incredible. I've been able to replicate all my favourite delays and more. Reverbs are traditional reverbs, there aren't any weird reverbs like clouds or ice picks or whatever Strymon like to call them, if that's your thing. Plate and South and North Church reverbs in the Axe FX sound great though...and the Space type one is fantastic, my go to!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Why not buy a DD500 or try the Mooer Ocean machine, shops have stock now. Strymon stuff is quite expensive.

@Winny_Pooh I shall look into them.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Andertons have a fresh demo of the ocean machine up now
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited April 2017
    Danny, buy one of the used FX8 on here mate. 

I own a Timeline amd Big Sky, and my FX8 will easily match, and beat in some modes, the Strymons. The Fractal verbs are incredible. The North & South Church verbs are simply among the best aive ever played.

Also, the FX8 is totally silent, and has the best looper Ive ever used. It does stereo superbly etc etc etc

You can always sell it if you dont like it. No brainer mate - one of my best purchases ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Helix looks set to replace Timeline & Mobius for me. interface just makes it more usable. And I dialled in the sounds I wanted super fast.

There's be no A/Bing, but there's not anyone clinically checking that I sound the same inbetween performances so meh.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Seems inevitable the Helix reverb algo's will be developed, it's not as if the unit does not have the processing power.  Not that the reverb's sound bad but there's no reason Line 6 can't add the best of Neunaber / Strymon etc.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Also, the FX8 is totally silent, and has the best looper Ive ever used. It does stereo superbly etc etc etc

Can the looper do 2 separate loops?  One thing that puts me off most MFX loopers is you can only do one loop.  I find the series dual loop on the Infinity invaluable.  Basically play a verse and a chorus then change from one to the other as you need to.  I'd happily give up the infinity for a multi if it had this option, but most seem to be just a single loop, which is quite limiting.