My OCD hell

What's Hot
BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
The OCD v3 I've been using as a boost since God was a teenager has suddenly gone mad.
It's fine when it is engaged for solos but when it is then switched off all the treble is immediately sucked out of the signal.

i love this pedal more than many members of my family. Just the thought of it being seriously unwell makes me tearful. 

Can anyone one suggest a pedal genius in the south east who could fix it?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I feel your pain and I have also have an OCD that's intergral to my sound and wouldn't wish it to crap out. Not once but twice, the switch has come away from the board on mine which resulted in funniness. John at Antenna Music, Crystal Palace fixed mine  - http://www.antennastudios.co.uk/

Charlie Chandler at CCGX may be able to help

I was just about to suggest PedalMods but it seems they only repair those on their mod list but it might be worth a sneaky try if all else fails- http://www.pedalmods.com/

Good luck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    If it works fine when its engaged but not when its off I'd guess that its almost certainly the switch. Partial short perhaps?
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    I'm pretty sure they have a 5 year warranty where they fix pedals for free. Only problem is you have to pay for postage unless the dealer you bought it from will send it for you.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Electronic Music Services in Southend on Sea might be able to help, they are certainly good with all other electronic music gear.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    This may also help if you're taking it to someone qualified but new to the pedal

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/fulltone-ocd-all-versions.html

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Not in the SE, but certainly could fix it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    The OCD v3 I've been using as a boost since God was a teenager has suddenly gone mad.
    It's fine when it is engaged for solos but when it is then switched off all the treble is immediately sucked out of the signal.
    Sounds like the cable following the OCD is partially shorted. Try changing that first. (Or any other cables/pedals between the pedal and the amp, if its not last.)

If not that, the output jack - which is the only thing following the switch inside the pedal - may have got turned round so it's touching something it shouldn't, or (rare but possible) have failed so it's partly shorted itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    @Juansolo.  I'll take you up on your kind offer. A PM heading your way. 

@ICBM.   Think it must be the output jack. I took it off my board and tried it with various cables. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    @Juansolo.  I'll take you up on your kind offer. A PM heading your way. 

@ICBM.   Think it must be the output jack. I took it off my board and tried it with various cables. 

If you suspect it's the jack it would be well worth opening the pedal to check if there's anything obviously wrong. If it is just shorting on something it would be much easier for you to move it than to send it all the way to juansolo for him to do that.

If it isn't that, then stick to plan A. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

This made me LOL...'suddenly gone mad' like it has free will! :-)

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    My Helix has an OCD v2 and V4 model in it, I don't use it much as it sounds a bit scooped in the mids. I often wonder how close it is to the real thing. At least it hasn't 'gone mad' on me.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    My Helix has an OCD v2 and V4 model in it, I don't use it much as it sounds a bit scooped in the mids. I often wonder how close it is to the real thing. At least it hasn't 'gone mad' on me.
    Give it time. It took @Blacksheep's years.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    From the various films I've seen, it's far more likely that digital devices like the Helix will become self-aware and turn on you in an orgy of logical, reasoned violence.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    Sometimes, late at night, I'm convinced I hear the pedals talking about me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I had an ehx glove which was a bit too scooped for me.... wonder what version of the OCD it's based on...? Also, I sold it so I'm safe!
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga