Champman Cap 10 America

mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
Hi,

I have bought a Chapman Cap 10 america to try it and so I can compare to a regular Special Strat that have tried. Has lots of positives but when it came there is a slight gap between body and neck is that usual for a bolt on? Secondly neck pickup is constantly tipping towards neck so not flat.

First guitar I have bought in 13 years or so. I am just checking are both of these things defects?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The pickup is either catching on something or the spring is bunched
    the gap is just tolerance with the pickgaurd cutting and it either bothers you or it doesn't
    i wouldn't reject the guitar for either of them but some might

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I've seen many worse neck joint fittings than that.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited April 2017
    Is it any good though?  I've heard such mixed things about Chapman guitars.

Their new Flying V costs more than the Gibson ones do - so they certainly are CONFIDENT...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I had an ML-3 for a wee while.  In many ways it was a nice, decent quality and perfectly serviceable guitar.  I just had it as a backup as I wanted an HSS and it was cheap 2nd hand.  The fretwork was tidy and the wilko trem was decent enough but there was just something about it that was a bit...bland.  The stock pickups were garbage (but at the time Chapman made no bones about that and they were recommending swapping them in any case) and I found the veneer on the top to look a bit false for some reason.  In saying that if I had been starting out and it was my first proper electric i'd have been more than happy with it.  In the end I only kept it for a few months.  The new ones don't interest me, I just dont think that the price point justifies what they offer (I haven't played one so could be wrong) and I imagine their 2nd hand value will drop like a stone.  But the early Korean ones are nice enough guitars and if you're willing to mod them and spend money on them i'm sure they'd do you a good turn.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited April 2017
    I The new ones don't interest me, I just dont think that the price point justifies what they offer (I haven't played one so could be wrong).
    That's what I was thinking, their new "pro" range is genuinely pricey for far-east guitars.  They come in higher up price-wise than Mexican Fenders and a lot of Gibsons.

But they are still very shred oriented, at the end of the day that's not where I live.  I actually think Chappers, Lee, Matt, Rabea etc. are fairly genuine guys trying to make a good product, so fair play to them.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

I do wonder who buys all the Chapman guitars, but they must be doing well as they wouldn't be pushing new models etc. Fair play as well, they seem to have hit a niche. 90% of them seem to be metal or shred orientated which takes me out of their target customer, but the Cap 10 looks nice!

I really don't like some of the colours they offer, and the creeping prices are going to have to compete with a lot of big brands.

• I The new ones don't interest me, I just dont think that the price point justifies what they offer (I haven't played one so could be wrong).
    That's what I was thinking, their new "pro" range is genuinely pricey for far-east guitars.  They come in higher up price-wise than Mexican Fenders and a lot of Gibsons.

But they are still very shred oriented, at the end of the day that's not where I live.  I actually think Chappers, Lee, Matt, Rabea etc. are fairly genuine guys trying to make a good product, so fair play to them.
    I agree, I think they are genuinely trying to offer a quality product and I think they've taken a leaf out of the PRS SE range where they have essentially 2 versions of the guitars - a cut down budget range and then a higher spec range.  I hope it does well and all that but they just don't do it for me.  I like my stuff heavy but i'm not a shred guy (just gimme a Les Paul) but if I was I think there's far more appealing options from ESP/LTD, Ibanez, etc.  Thats a crowded market...but i'm sure they did their research before jumping in.

To me the most interesting thing is how this fits with their 'built for the fans' model...which was a unique and cool concept that now seems abandoned in favour of this new range.  I'm sure the free R&D still has value right??? ;-)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Never had a Chapman, ordered a ML-2 once - but cancelled it when I got twitchy about resale values, and fair plays they were very accommodating.

I have to echo what everyone has just said - I am very surprised at the new range, not the look etc - but the price point.

I can't believe they've got this wrong, but it seems to be pitching them against some very heavy hitters (Ibanez, ESP, Fender, Gibson) - which is a big ask

• GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    Could be the wiring coiled/springing up and tilting the pickup. does it push down and spring back up again?