Boss Katana price rise

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135

It makes sense that Boss have reused the GT-100 firmware as it takes a lot of effort to build an OS and all of the features that you require for something like a multi FX and all the FX on the GT-100 were very good anyway. I expect they have just added in the new Katana models.
    Sometimes the  sensible thing to do when reusing software is not removing bits, even if you don't plan to use them. Removing those amps - even if they were never going to be used - could break something somewhere else in the firmware. So their inclusion might not actually mean anything for the Katana or future plans for it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader

It makes sense that Boss have reused the GT-100 firmware as it takes a lot of effort to build an OS and all of the features that you require for something like a multi FX and all the FX on the GT-100 were very good anyway. I expect they have just added in the new Katana models.
    Sometimes the  sensible thing to do when reusing software is not removing bits, even if you don't plan to use them. Removing those amps - even if they were never going to be used - could break something somewhere else in the firmware. So their inclusion might not actually mean anything for the Katana or future plans for it.
    My thoughts exactly.

If I was building it and firmware size wasn't tight then I would absolutely leave everything in place and add extra features on top.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Shall I get one or what? really need someone to make a decision for me . . . 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Yes, do it. Decision made.

Youre welcome :)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:

How easy do we think to get the 27 amps going on it then? Could I ask the guy in the shop?
    I had a quick scan through the instruction on the link that was provided, at seemed quite straight forward. Might have a go at it myself over the next couple of nights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I would be very surprised if the 5 models on the Katana front panel were the same as ones on the GT-100 as I had a GT-100 and found the modelling to be quite poor even when used into the return of a valve amp.

Either that or the Katana has got something clever like the Blackstar TVP circuit to make it sound more realistic.

I'm interested to see if anyone hacks the Blues Cube because I'm fairly convinced the Tone Capsules are just software unlocks for models that are already in the amp.

I think the Blues Cube Tone Capsules probably have a memory card in them with the modelling information on them. Otherwise the new tone capsules wouldn't work with the old amps. 
    tFB Trader

I'm interested to see if anyone hacks the Blues Cube because I'm fairly convinced the Tone Capsules are just software unlocks for models that are already in the amp.

I think the Blues Cube Tone Capsules probably have a memory card in them with the modelling information on them. Otherwise the new tone capsules wouldn't work with the old amps. 
    I'm not so sure.
    It seems from the shop demo rigs they have with a switcher that the set of capsules has been planned from the start and each one has an associated colour etc. I think they have been planned from the start and they don't intend to release new ones which would suggest just building them into the firmware would be easier and cheaper.

I guess we'll find out should they release new ones in future.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

How easy do we think to get the 27 amps going on it then? Could I ask the guy in the shop?
    Someone has made a little bit of software you can download and use to do it, looks pretty easy.

I've not tried it yet with mine (the included models are great anyhow, one of the default effects is a model of the BD2, another you can easily add is the Tubescreamer) so I'm in hog-heaven with the included options.

Will try it sometime though, superb bit of kit.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

I'm not so sure.
    It seems from the shop demo rigs they have with a switcher that the set of capsules has been planned from the start and each one has an associated colour etc. I think they have been planned from the start and they don't intend to release new ones which would suggest just building them into the firmware would be easier and cheaper.

I guess we'll find out should they release new ones in future.

They've filled out all of the slots in the switcher so if you're correct there is no more tone capsules coming.

Right now the stock is sort of Bassman style. The Eric Johnson is a Deluxe Reverb on the clean and a Super Lead on the crunch.
    The New York Blues is meant to be some sort of EL84 Marshall, possibly a JMP. 
    The Ultimate Blues is some sort of 6V6 amp, never played through it though. 
    Finally the Robben Ford is meant to be Dumble like. 

I would be a bit surprised if they didn't do anything slightly higher gain as I think that would sell. Although it is the 'blues' cube. 
  • beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    The K100 is still £252 and K50 is £167 from thomann.de, free UK delivery for the former and also for the latter if you add $ euros of accessories (199 euro limit on free shipping).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hey sorry guys me again

do we know if the Kat50 can do loops on the amp, or only through the software (if at all)

thanks 
    I use a Ditto Looper with mine... not sure if that's what you are asking for though :) 
    Nikko said:
    I use a Ditto Looper with mine... not sure if that's what you are asking for though :) 
    Yeah, I'm not that sure myself mate, like on the other fx threads, we were discussing the ZoomG1 and G3 and where you can sort of record a loop and then play along, maybe record it too, I'm thinking if this amp can do a loop or would I need something like a ditto or something else to do that? Is the ditto just a pedal that loops?
    Yep, just a looper pedal. Really easy to use. I use it mostly for practising. I use my Katana as an audio interface, plug it in to my PC and record into Studio One. I record a little loop of some sort of chord progression on a track, then open another track and record whatever I play over the loop. Works great.
    Nikko said:
    Yep, just a looper pedal. Really easy to use. I use it mostly for practising. I use my Katana as an audio interface, plug it in to my PC and record into Studio One. I record a little loop of some sort of chord progression on a track, then open another track and record whatever I play over the loop. Works great.
    yeah that's what I want it for really, an interface, just waiting on checking in with one of the shops about PX'ing my old amp and I'll probably get one

I was looking at Zoom G1xon's as well, but I wouldn't have any need for that AND a boss k50 would I? Just maybe a looper?
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:
    yeah that's what I want it for really, an interface, just waiting on checking in with one of the shops about PX'ing my old amp and I'll probably get one

I was looking at Zoom G1xon's as well, but I wouldn't have any need for that AND a boss k50 would I? Just maybe a looper?

There is no point getting the zoom if the boss has the GT 100 fx.
    edited April 2017
    tony99 said:
    Nikko said:

There is no point getting the zoom if the boss has the GT 100 fx.
    Yeah I thought so, I'm just not that clued up on all the modelling and FX stuff

Just need to wait until next week to see if they want to PX my old amp, if not I'll probably still get a K50
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited April 2017
    I'm currently using a GT001 into a Roland JC-22 and, frankly, some of the amp models in the GT are excellent - and they definitely weren't when I used it direct to studio monitors or in the fx loop of the Fender Bassbreaker. I have no idea if they sound like the amps they are supposed to be modelling but the Blackface Fenders sound sparkly and Fendery, the Tweeds sound grunty and Fendery, the Matchless sounds fantastic and the Marshall 1959 sounds suitably Marshally.  The JC22 seems like a perfect match.

Stereo outputs into stereo inputs and access to all the lovely Boss FX too. A cheap footswitch from Digitech and I can set each patch to switch on two fx, or tap tempo, or change patch etc. It's a neat home set-up (and not "neat" in the American sense - but "neat" in the "nice and tidy and small footprint" sense)

If the Katana is similar (i.e. an amp designed for the GT stuff), with access to the full suite I'd imagine it will sound just as good. I was a bit underwhelmed when I tried one out a few months ago, but you can't really tell in a guitar store...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Anyone use their Katana much through headphones?

I'm amazed how good it is through headphones.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...