ThatPedalShow Shoegaze, Muff episode

What's Hot

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Why tie in muffs with shoegaze? MBV, Ride and Slowdive didn't use them in their heyday, a Rat would have been a better choice.
    Who? Obviously no point in me viewing it this week as it'll totally go over my head ;)
    The TPS folk in the vid.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Watched bits of it. Can't tell you much about shoegaze and can't tell you any more now. Shoegaze just used as a vague reason for playing through some expensive muff type pedals. 

I like to have TPS on but not pay much attention to it, ever so often they say something useful but it's a fairly low strike rate. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Why tie in muffs with shoegaze? MBV, Ride and Slowdive didn't use them in their heyday, a Rat would have been a better choice.
    Who? Obviously no point in me viewing it this week as it'll totally go over my head ;)
    Yep, filed under don't bother, along with the James Bay special, the Slide special and the Landreth fella. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited April 2017
    ^so all the ones that don't promote analoge man and gig rig?
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Hmm, I really should put together an all-encompassing cheesy blues-rock, dad-rock demo video despite not knowing anything about any of that old crap...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4527
    They sure were having a good time
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    cj73 said:
    ^so all the ones that don't promote analoge man and gig rig?
    That leaves very few to watch.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    DesVegas said:
    I saw an interview with Ride last night where they say Kevin Shields said despite the size of his board he only really uses a compressor

https://reverb.com/uk/news/reverb-soundcheck-ride

ps i thought reverb before fuzz was THE way to make the shoegaze
    pps not seen the video yet though
    ppps how you doing? you having a good day?
    Oooh i'll need to watch that.  I've seen MBV a couple of times and theres defo more than amp sounds and compression going on there.  I guess he may not use all the board all the time but his sound is still heavily effected.  He definitely uses a looper in the holocaust section of You Made Me Realise.  I know that in the studio there weren't many effects aside from the gated reverse reverb in the Yamaha SPX90 then the rest was compression and EQ...but live is a totally different story as far as I could tell (it was blow your ears off loud after all).

Considering one of their most famous songs is an acoustic into a Vorg Warp Sound, I'd say there's definitely more going on than a compressor. For a band that almost bankrupted their label and took a week to record a tambourine part, you can bet that, while there might not be tons of effects used (distortion pedal, alesis reverse reverb.. and go! etc.), they would have pored over those recordings and perfected them to within an inch of their lives. I truly believe the guitar part on To Here Knows When to be one of the most simply effective and incredibly recorded parts in indie rock history, definitive of a genre that has lasted for 30 years.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    TPS is capable of some really good stuff but this one is complete and utter bullshit. If you're going to step outside your comfort zone then either do some fucking research or get someone on who knows their shit. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    TPS is capable of some really good stuff but this one is complete and utter bullshit. If you're going to step outside your comfort zone then either do some fucking research or get someone on who knows their shit. 
    Exactly this, utter waste of time. Content for the sake of content from two of the least charismatic men to have access to the internet.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9596
    I haven't been able to watch one of these for ages. I see them come up and think "ooh, pedals!" but it's like 47:26 long and it will take them 10 minutes of giggling bromance before any of them says anything useful or interesting. It's like being stuck at a corner table in a pub with the two most boring blokes who were on your university course talking about the round of golf they've just played.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Ehhh... I unsubb'd. I just don't need that kind of negativity in my life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    I thought TPS was just the sales and marketing arm of The Gigrig?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hhhmmmmm, haven't watched it yet, but I think I'm gonna find this one frustrating. I don't mind them being in a blues-rock bubble so long as they have the ability to step outside of it. Sounds likes the jokes on them with this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I watched it and it was basically about Muffs - the Fig Fumb looks great fun and the Royal Beaver is awesome. I was reasonably entertained once I stopped getting annoyed about how little they had attempted to understand the genre. Agree that really they should have got someone in who knew it.
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I can only take those guys in small doses.
    Completely agree. I've watched TPS since it was still on the old gigrig YouTube channel. Kinda feels like they're really starting to run low on ideas now and i feel like it's the same content over and over. Also the emotional thing and crying in recent months i find seriously odd?! We all love playing and getting a good tone and certain music and or tune may bring a tear to the eye once in a while, but c'mon dudes man up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I think like most shows, be it TV or Youtube - some are good and some are not so much.

The one the previous week, building Mick's pedal board, I enjoyed very much - but then literally three days earlier I'd assembled my own G2 board so it was very relevant (although annoying than when they refer to costs, they're clearly talking about the trade deals they get - good luck getting the board for the price they quoted!).

Recently I've found, after a slump, the shows watchable again - but this one, no.

The big thing for me is the lack of research, and Mick's 'I know nothing' Manuel like attitude is just tired and inexcusable for a professional - which he is, this is what he does for a living (although it does somehow explain some of the articles Guitarist publishes!).

Overall I'd say it's a wonderful show, when they get it right - Dan clearly knows his stuff, and like all of us has an opinion - from personal experience some of the things he's said that I've not liked, I've found to be true.

When it's wrong - it's a shocker, and this was one of them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I haven't been able to watch one of these for ages. I see them come up and think "ooh, pedals!" but it's like 47:26 long and it will take them 10 minutes of giggling bromance before any of them says anything useful or interesting. It's like being stuck at a corner table in a pub with the two most boring blokes who were on your university course talking about the round of golf they've just played.
    This is why I can't stand TPS. The giggling and bromance is just too cringe worthy.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
    I laughed my socks off.

And I thought that pedal with the controls for each transistor was amazing. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Yup, I was fine with it. However, Show gaze is hardly my thing so perhaps I should be more sensitive. Nah...