ThatPedalShow Shoegaze, Muff episode

What's Hot

Comments

• Dungus said:
    Hmm, I really should put together an all-encompassing cheesy blues-rock, dad-rock demo video despite not knowing anything about any of that old crap...
    Exactly. Really boils my piss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I can only take those guys in small doses.

Can't take them at all now. Generally boring, and with very little time taken to bother learning other genres or styles of playing. 

Sort of lime chappers but grown up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited April 2017
    Ive said before. But for me Dan is cool. Mick while being a good player. Is annoying, never seems to know anything, including not knowing  as he said in a recent episode,What an echorec was/is how is that possible, for someone that writes for guitarist

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• @Dungus ;Imagine being so dad-rock that you can't grasp a genre which first came about a quarter of a century ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Ive said before. But for me Dan is cool. Mick while being a good player. Is annoying, never seems to know anything, including not knowing  as he said in a recent episode,What an echorec was/is how is that possible, for someone that writes for guitarist
    Have you read Guitarist recently?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NB. My last comment was not intended to be a dig at rock. Or dads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Just watched it.
    Two fat old farts who don't get it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Grunfeld said:
    Just watched it.
    Two fat old farts who don't get it.

I'm sure at least Mick is married?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    C'mon all today's YouTube-savvy young guitarists are into Clapton, Page and Young, this is why they can safely mock shoegaze
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Wow one can really feel the love in this room ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Mick is playing a dumbed down role in these. He is the "punter" and Dan is the guru. These are clearly Dan's gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    @Dungus ;;Imagine being so dad-rock that you can't grasp a genre which first came about a quarter of a century ago.
    Haha! Yep. We're not exactly talking about a cutting edge new genre for todays impressionable youth. Although I wouldn't put it past TPS to do an R&B / Hip Hop episode, with backwards caps, throwing up gang signs and 10 minutes of staring at each other trying not to giggle themselves silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dungus said:
    @Dungus ;;Imagine being so dad-rock that you can't grasp a genre which first came about a quarter of a century ago.
    Haha! Yep. We're not exactly talking about a cutting edge new genre for todays impressionable youth. Although I wouldn't put it past TPS to do an R&B / Hip Hop episode, with backwards caps, throwing up gang signs and 10 minutes of staring at each other trying not to giggle themselves silly.
    I for one would watch that. 
    How about a series of decade specific tone sessions?

50's Slapback and Early Rock n Roll
    60's Wah, Fuzz and Tape Delay  psychedelia 
    70's Heavier Rock and early Metal
    80's Studio Tones and New Wave
    90's Grunge and Alt Rock
    00's New Metal and beyond. 

Take a few genre defining albums of each era and nail the tones using contemporary pedals. 

A bit like 'Sounds Like' by Andertons but Waaaaaay more Anal and nerdy. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Dungus said:
    DesVegas said:
    I saw an interview with Ride last night where they say Kevin Shields said despite the size of his board he only really uses a compressor

https://reverb.com/uk/news/reverb-soundcheck-ride

ps i thought reverb before fuzz was THE way to make the shoegaze
    pps not seen the video yet though
    ppps how you doing? you having a good day?
    Oooh i'll need to watch that.  I've seen MBV a couple of times and theres defo more than amp sounds and compression going on there.  I guess he may not use all the board all the time but his sound is still heavily effected.  He definitely uses a looper in the holocaust section of You Made Me Realise.  I know that in the studio there weren't many effects aside from the gated reverse reverb in the Yamaha SPX90 then the rest was compression and EQ...but live is a totally different story as far as I could tell (it was blow your ears off loud after all).

Considering one of their most famous songs is an acoustic into a Vorg Warp Sound, I'd say there's definitely more going on than a compressor. For a band that almost bankrupted their label and took a week to record a tambourine part, you can bet that, while there might not be tons of effects used (distortion pedal, alesis reverse reverb.. and go! etc.), they would have pored over those recordings and perfected them to within an inch of their lives. I truly believe the guitar part on To Here Knows When to be one of the most simply effective and incredibly recorded parts in indie rock history, definitive of a genre that has lasted for 30 years.

The basics of the MBV sound are really easy. I think people focus far too much on the stompboxes and not enough on the rack units, namely the Midiverb II and the SPX90. For example, when you go with the reverse gate on the SPX90 but add in some onboard distortion, you realise that the onboard distortion gets very much into MBV territory and it's pretty compressed. The quality of the A/D isn't great on both units but it has a character all its own, much like the Deluxe Memory Man has its own unique charm. 

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Can someone recommend some shoegaze-type must listen to albums. I'm trying to pull myself out of that ignorant dad blues type.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited April 2017
    BBBlues said:
    Can someone recommend some shoegaze-type must listen to albums. I'm trying to pull myself out of that ignorant dad blues type.
    My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Everything, Loveless, both essential listening 
    Ride - Nowhere, Going Blank Again
    Slowdive - Souvlaki
    Chapterhouse - Whirlpool, Blood Music

I'd say also the first Verve EPs and their debut album are incredible and within that genre, and Medicine are also worth a listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    ...and if you want a taste of how other genres continue to appropriate Shoegaze elements today, try Deafheaven's Sunbather, White Hot Moon by Pity Sex, or Tired of Tomorrow by The Nothing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited April 2017
    My favourite example of the genre is Polar Bear by Ride @BBBlues ;
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Thanks guys, will add these to a playlist this week.