ThatPedalShow Shoegaze, Muff episode

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegas said:
    My favourite example of the genre is Polar Bear by Ride @BBBlues ;
    Glorious. Absolutely love Ride. Used to have a long sleeve Going Blank Again T-shirt, which is very shoegaze.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Swervedriver, Lush's Split LP, Boo Radleys with Everything's Alright Forever and Giant Steps, October Language by Belong, A.R. Kane, Kitchens of Distinction... all lovely stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Swervedriver, Lush's Split LP, Boo Radleys with Everything's Alright Forever and Giant Steps, October Language by Belong, A.R. Kane, Kitchens of Distinction... all lovely stuff. 
    Boo Radleys - Giant Steps is one of my favourite albums of all time. Forget all the Wake Up! stuff, that album was genius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I think it was actually "My Stinking Armstump" and it wasn't MBV being called that, it was a spontaneous made-up name during a comment on the singing 'abilities' of shoegaze bands (so still a bit offensive if you are a shoegaze lover, but not a dissing of MBV)

It made me laugh hard fwiw 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    I think it was actually "My Stinking Armstump" and it wasn't MBV being called that, it was a spontaneous made-up name during a comment on the singing 'abilities' of shoegaze bands (so still a bit offensive if you are a shoegaze lover, but not a dissing of MBV)

It made me laugh hard fwiw 
    HERETIC!!!!
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    A couple of pretty decent current bands are The Cherry Wave and Kindling.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Boo Radleys - Giant Steps is one of my favourite albums of all time. Forget all the Wake Up! stuff, that album was genius.
    I bought Pet Sounds and Giant Steps when I was 15, same trip to HMV in Bath. Absolute musical epiphany. Giant Steps is still my favourite record ever. The only way it could have been made better was by having the full version of Lazarus on the album. Fortunately that's quite easy in the digital age. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Please, can we get back to dissing That Pedal Show.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    #ShaveDanForChristmas
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    I wouldn't necessarily call Giant Steps a shoegaze album, but there is definite elements there. Everything's Alright Forever ripped off so much Dinosaur Jr and MBV too, I love that album. Got Giant Steps when it first came out too, so good. 10 out of 10 in NME, I think! Haha
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    I have only recently got into the show and to be honest it was the echoplex and Binson episodes that held me. 

It does surprise me at times that for someone who worked in the industry for guitar mags for years Mick does have some huge knowledge gaps. Unless its a deliberate ploy so Dan then explains it for the audience. 

I am not really close to the whole shoe gaze thing sort of passed me buy. If they covered a style I liked with that sort of school boy dirty book in the satchel mentality think I would of been pretty pissed off. 

But it seemed at least Dan had a dig in before to get himself up to speed and Mick just rocked up and giggled a lot. 

I hope they can pull it back as I have enjoyed some of the old ones I have gone back and watched when I had time to kill. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    The Belltower.
    Also Pale Saints.
    And Revolver and Catherine Wheel., for the soppy and rawk ends of the Shoegaze spectrum respectively.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited April 2017
    Sassafras said:
    If you wish.

Personally I find it astonishing that, in a show about pedals that talks about drive pedals so often, neither of the two hosts are capable of ably demonstrating anything more than AC/DC levels of gain.

Then, when you step outside of dirt pedals, they don't really know how to do much other than apply effects on top of that rather than using them to craft a decent sound for a specific genre. For example...that "expensive delay pedal" show they put on - coming from a heavy rock background, I didn't see/hear a single example from them which would be useful to me in any way.

There are two parts to this - research, and adaptability. They seem to have neither...which is fine, but they should probably change the name to "That Old-Fashioned Pedal Show". Contrast that with Bea - in the last year or so he's gone from being a high-gain-only player to including blues, classic rock and funk in his repertoire by just working his ass off so that he's able to properly demonstrate more gear.

EDIT: All of that's fine, of course, for an amateur show. When it's a couple of enthusiasts, it's cool...who cares? I think they've transitioned from that into professionals at this point, though, and Dan does try to speak from a position of authority/knowledge, so I think they probably owe it to their audience to try to expand their limits by now.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Not an episode which interested me but I'd still rather watch TPS than anything by Chappers or the Tone King.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'll add:
    Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
    The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
    Ringo Deathstarr - Pure Mood
    DIIV - Is the Is Are

As important recent examples of the genre
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited April 2017
    Sassafras said:
    If you wish.

Personally I find it astonishing that, in a show about pedals that talks about drive pedals so often, neither of the two hosts are capable of ably demonstrating anything more than AC/DC levels of gain.

Then, when you step outside of dirt pedals, they don't really know how to do much other than apply effects on top of that rather than using them to craft a decent sound for a specific genre. For example...that "expensive delay pedal" show they put on - coming from a heavy rock background, I didn't see/hear a single example from them which would be useful to me in any way.

There are two parts to this - research, and adaptability. They seem to have neither...which is fine, but they should probably change the name to "That Old-Fashioned Pedal Show". Contrast that with Bea - in the last year or so he's gone from being a high-gain-only player to including blues, classic rock and funk in his repertoire by just working his ass off so that he's able to properly demonstrate more gear.

EDIT: All of that's fine, of course, for an amateur show. When it's a couple of enthusiasts, it's cool...who cares? I think they've transitioned from that into professionals at this point, though, and Dan does try to speak from a position of authority/knowledge, so I think they probably owe it to their audience to try to expand their limits by now.
    Agree with a lot of that. I don't really get how poor they are at moving outside of their home ground. There is nothing about fx layering and interaction - lots of tedious jokes, giggling and face pulling. From an engineering side, I'm sure Dan knows his stuff. But I wouldn't place him on a pedestal  of FX user. This episode really highlighted the limitations for me as a duo. They don't care about genres or diving into sounds that define genres.

I get that they wanted to do a lot of single fx type shows and AB comparisons, but there is much more to fx than that. The show  seems to be more of a show for those who GAS for different types of the same thing rather than those who want to get into how marvellous pedals can be in defining your sound.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited April 2017
    Moss said:
    I'll add:
    Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered
    The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
    Ringo Deathstarr - Pure Mood
    DIIV - Is the Is Are

As important recent examples of the genre
    Fantastic shouts. The Twilight Sad are incredible, one of my favourites. I saw Ringo Deathstarr supporting the Pumpkins at Brixton Academy a few years back and they were blinding.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I thought Sigur Ross and Mogwai were this genre? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    That's post-rock.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i really like Dan...mainly because when he talks he has a lot technical information that I learn from. the other guy annoys me....not only does he not know anything about gear (or at least he plays that role) and he's playing although good for what he plays, has little versatility.

like someone else said, if you're demoing gear that appeals to music outside blues/rock, then you should be able to play something from that generation. I mean, for someone at his level of playing, it shouldn't be hard to learn a few riffs from a few bands of the genre (switch the chords for copyright) and play them with the required effects...

This one along with the delay one were both disappointing in this respect.

Sometimes their shows seem like they are catered for blues rock players, giving them a glimpse into other genres..."look at these other weird music and the stuff they need to make music"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom