HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED

What's Hot
Dec_CassarDec_Cassar Frets: 1
HI guys,

I'm brand new to the forum. Ive been playing on and off for 6 years. Recently i've revived my love for my guitar and am looking for some advice about an amp. 

I play a mixture of stuff but predominately Pop-Punk/ Post hardcore/ Specific Metal

My Current set up Is as follows

- Fender (MIM) standard 
- Gibson Les Paul JR (2010)
- Gibson Les Paul Standard (08) - Tobacco burst
- LTD EC1000T deluxe -White w/gold hardware with EMG 81 & 85

These are my main guitars I have more But these get the most use 

-Marshall JVM410H
-Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab

- Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus
- Ibanez TS9 tube screamer
- Boss NS2 Noise gate 
- TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb
- TC Electronics (Original) Poly Tune 

Again These are my main pedals i've got others but this is my basic set up 

I bought the marshall a few years back and i'm mostly happy with the sound however the amount of hiss this thing gives out makes it unusable live even at 1 to 2 on the master volume.

I want a head that can produce that Pop- Punk sound but that can also achieve heavier tones. I know this is really boring but im gonna put a list of bands down so people have an idea what i'm trying to achieve.

1. State Champs ()

2. A Day To Remember ()

3. Blink-182 ()

4. The Wonder Years ()

5. SLAVES (US) ()

6. Emarosa ()

7. Beartooth ()

8. The Story So Far ()

The choices i have thought about but need more advice on are

Marshall, Orange, Mesaboogie, Peavey and Kemper 

Any advice is much appreciated Thanks in advance

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Might be worth looking at the JVM by a good tech, or look at a better noise gate, maybe The Sentry by TC or MXR Smart Gate. 

How are you running the noise gate? Is it the X method?

honestly you have a killer set up and I can't see why it wouldn't nail all the tones you are after. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and welcome btw.  :)
  • Thanks man I will have someone look at it either way But i'm still wondering if maybe a head with more achievable heavier tones may be the option to go with
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You've made me feel very old. I've not heard of any of those bands.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks man I will have someone look at it either way But i'm still wondering if maybe a head with more achievable heavier tones may be the option to go with
    Recto then? 
    Can pick em up around £6-700 in decent condition.  

It will give you the big gain you need, and you can tighten it with the TS. 

Theres a lot of love for the Mesa Stilleto series in here right now too, I'm not a huge fan but they do that modded Marshall thing very well. 

Or go down the Mesa Mark series route, bigger money but a tighter gain sound, more Petrucci/Metallica than the above options.

Peavey 5150's are pretty cheap and brutal.

EVH (Fender) 5150 iii's are amazing, huge gain and absolutely unstoppable.  

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    JVM's can sound heavy as fuck, some of the best live tones i've heard have come from those amps!

Most of the bands you listed are very "produced", theres always a lot of post recording compression and EQ on the guitars just to make them sit with the double kick and the more nasal vocal style. They're all also tracked and comp'ed AF, any looseness you hear has definitely been dialled in at the mix stage.

I think for those kinds of tones i'd be looking at a Mesa or a modern Orange amp, if your budget will stretch go Soldano. You can get the super tight chops with a couple of noise gates, my choice would be an ISP decimator in the loop and the ns2 out front. the one in the loop is the one that keeps the amp quiet under gain, the one infront will keep you mutes tight and the chugs clear. 

Its also probably worth trying something like the Mesa EQ in the loop, it'll give you more flexibility to dial in the upper mids and keep the clarity in while you're ramping up the gain.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Shame you don't have the Joe Satch version of the JVM.  On board noise gates are great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    Playing only 6 years with all that gear? Very impressive!! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • andyoz said:
    Shame you don't have the Joe Satch version of the JVM.  On board noise gates are great.
    yeah man when i got the amp that model wasn't available