Boss vs Disaster Area - School me in (affordable-ish) MIDI enabled loop switchers.

colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
So I'm looking at either a Boss ES-5 or DA's most recent DPC-5 Gen3 loop switcher.

I'm interested in a compact and affordable switcher that will allow me MIDI control as well as tap tempo output and ideally, CV.

How do these two units compare functions wise? Is there any other unit I should be considering?

For example, I'm aware that DA doesn't do CV; just tap tempo. Is the same true of the Boss unit? Documentation is fairly scarce on CV it seems.

This is all very new to me; but I'd like to run recallable MIDI analog effects (Chase Bliss, Stone Deaf) in the future, or just preset combos of my existing stomps.

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I use the DMC-8D and the DPC-8EZ. I've been using DA switchers for the past 4 years now and really love how they are easy to program. What I love best is the small footprint for my board too. I haven't many stomp boxes now around 3 I think. So the it might be overkill using the DPC-8EZ but I couldn't gig without the DMC-8D to select presets on my two strymons. I've never tried any other switchers brand as I've always been happy with the DA units for my use.

I think one just has to work out what your usage would be. I love some of the functionality of the G2 or the Boss but I would never use half of the features really (when will GigRig bring out a lite G2 version). I don't know much about the Boss but I'm sure it'll be cheaper than the G2 (what isn't ;)). The extra expense with the G2 is in the wiring and powering up etc :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • @hotpickups so you use the DMC for presets and the DPC to bypass switching? I think i'm after something that does both at the same time; which I believe the new DPC-5 which the little screen on does.

Do you know if you can re-organise the order of effects on DA switchers?
    edited April 2017
    @colourofsound ;When the DMC and DPC are connected via MIDI the DMC is the master and the DPC is a slave to it. So you can select presets on the Timeline and the Mobius, in my case, but also select a stomp box for the preset too with one foot click. You can also set up the DPC as a manual too so I can manually turn on an od or distortion or turn it off all together if I decided to in a live situation. Select the preset again on the DMC and will will return to the saved combination as before The new DPC-5 has just combined these two units I have together but with less loops of course i.e. 5. Which actually I would go for now in my set up as I don't need more than 8 loops.

Unfortunately the only way you can re-organise the order of pedals is to manually move the insert loops on the DPC-8EZ i.e. right to left is the order of pedals

Hope that's all clear
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    edited April 2017
    @hotpickups yeah mate that is super useful!

i'm basically think of building a rig around a CB Brothers and a loop switcher; thusly I am weighing up the best option. I plan on utilising the presets on Brothers to get as much out of it as possible! Of course, i need to get one and like it first...

At the moment the Boss is more feature rich, but the DA stuff is Chase Bliss compatible out of the box so saves me having to buy a MIDI box just for one pedal. 

TBH its going to come down to which ever one shows up second hand first
    @hotpickups yeah mate that is super useful!

i'm basically think of building a rig around a CB Brothers and a loop switcher; thusly I am weighing up the best option.

At the moment the Boss is more feature rich, but the DA stuff is Chase Bliss compatible out of the box so saves me having to buy a MIDI box just for one pedal. 

TBH its going to come down to which ever one shows up second hand first ;)
    Funnyily enough I was considering selling my two units i.e. DPC-8EZ and DMC-8D to get the new DPC-5 Gen 3 of theirs for the reason I have mention earlier :) Let me know if you're interested or decide to go the DA route :)
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    The Joyo PXL Live is worth a look. It has midi and 8 loops, 4 in the loop and 4 out front. I have one and really like it. I have it controlling a Line 6 M5 and a WOBO midi looper banking up and down. It also does control messages and will switch a 2 channel amp too. It's very good for the money.
  • @hotpickups yeah mate that is super useful!

i'm basically think of building a rig around a CB Brothers and a loop switcher; thusly I am weighing up the best option. I plan on utilising the presets on Brothers to get as much out of it as possible! Of course, i need to get one and like it first...

TBH its going to come down to which ever one shows up second hand first
    I'm thinking of something very similar. Connect the Strymons and H9 to something like an ES5 and connect it to the Mesa's FX loop, and either my Dr Scientist Elements (or maybe a CB Brothers) between the guitar and the front of the amp.
    @colourofsound ;I thought I'd revise this thread a bit as Boss has just brought out the smaller M3. Thinking about it though for me the DA units still wins between the two. I don't play around with moving loop order much, so when set and I like it, it's set as far as I'm concerned. The new DPC 5 gen 3 looks great for me especially with the ability to amp channel switch too
  • @hotpickups I hear ya. Even with the MS-3 the ES-5 or DPC-5 is still a better choice for me.

At the end of the day I will get Boss because it will just be more convenient and affordable; DA stuff is rare second hand and expensive to import.
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Matthew who runs DA/Alexander is one of the, if not the, nicest people I've ever deal with online, so there's every chance that if you DM him on Facebook or something, he could work something out for you to make things cheaper.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dungus said:
    Matthew who runs DA/Alexander is one of the, if not the, nicest people I've ever deal with online, so there's every chance that if you DM him on Facebook or something, he could work something out for you to make things cheaper.
    He didn't for me when I ordered a SmartClock.
  • DungusDungus Frets: 170
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Did you speak to him or just order it? I mean, he's not in the business of just giving away cheap stuff, but trying to ensure lower import fees might be do-able.
    @hotpickups I hear ya. Even with the MS-3 the ES-5 or DPC-5 is still a better choice for me.

At the end of the day I will get Boss because it will just be more convenient and affordable; DA stuff is rare second hand and expensive to import.
    @colourofsound ;Yeah it expensive etc. I wish it did come up second hand more often as I'm looking to buy another unit soon. Alas ordering new is my only option unfortunately :( DPC 5 gen 3 it has to be but again pricey 

Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    @Drew_TNBD ;It must have been when they're at a trade show or something. Drew of DA has always got back to me within 24hours if they're not at one 
    Dungus said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Did you speak to him or just order it? I mean, he's not in the business of just giving away cheap stuff, but trying to ensure lower import fees might be do-able.
    Nah that was exactly what I asked for. He refused and said it was illegal for him to do so.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Nah that was exactly what I asked for. He refused and said it was illegal for him to do so.
    That would be out of his control to be fair and illegal as he said if he did try to cheat the system etc?

Might be selling my DMC 8D guys. I know a shameful classified plug ;)
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Seems like a classic case of 'depends who you talk to'
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Dungus said:
    That would be out of his control to be fair and illegal as he said if he did try to cheat the system etc?
    Right, but that seemed to be the suggestion from Dungus. I was just saying it probably wouldn't work.