Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Solos That Mirror the Vocal Melody

What's Hot
A sort of "See how many we can get" thread.

There must be loads of examples where the Guitar Solo mirrors a section of a particular vocal melody of the song.

I'll kick off with these two.

Solo at 2:52 ish

and this solo at 2:17

Not exactly my fave "cup of tea" these 2 songs, but I had to provide examples ;-)

Anyone got some more?
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Muse - Madness definitely does

Can't think of more off top of my head but there are loads I'm sure
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014

The Beatles did it a lot.  Didn't do them any harm.

Let It Be for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQ

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Queen - Somebody To Love.....?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't want to sound pedantic, but the Muse one and The Beatles one are not "Mirroring" the vocals, they are an embellishment of the melody, an enhancement of the melody, forgive my lack of articulation regarding musical terminology.

I think the same applies to the Queen track too.

If you listen to the Nirvana one and K.C one they are an exact copy of "a" vocal line in the song. Maybe I should have said "Identical".

:-B
  • Does George Benson's (and Terry Allonby's) ability to sing along with the lead line count?
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    edited February 2014
    Cacofonix said:
    Does George Benson's (and Terry Allonby's) ability to sing along with the lead line count?
    You get a wisdom for that. You threw in a good curve ball there.  I Iike G.B's playing a lot and the ability to do that is extraordinary.

I'll have to listen to Terry Allonby as he's new to me.

:) 
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014
    I don't want to sound pedantic, but the Muse one and The Beatles one are not "Mirroring" the vocals, they are an embellishment of the melody, an enhancement of the melody, forgive my lack of articulation regarding musical terminology.

If you listen to the Nirvana one and K.C one they are an exact copy of "a" vocal line in the song. Maybe I should have said "Identical".

Fine, take your ball home then.  We don't wanna play with you anyway.   :P

:D

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    People get ready?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't want to sound pedantic, but the Muse one and The Beatles one are not "Mirroring" the vocals, they are an embellishment of the melody, an enhancement of the melody, forgive my lack of articulation regarding musical terminology.

Fine, take your ball home then.  We don't wanna play with you anyway.   :P

:D

It was nearly a good idea though, wasn't it :-D
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    There's a bit in "I'll See You In My Dreams" by Giant that does - chorus at 2:05, solo just afterwards (same melody for the first few bars, albeit slightly embellished - oh, and in a different key). First thing that came to mind for some reason.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Gillan and Blackmore doing call-and-response on the Made In Japan version of Strange Kind Of Woman is the best ever :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • You know Mr Huff floats my boat @Bucket

:-D
  • George Benson is awesome, but it's not that hard to sing your guitar licks in unison if you are already a decent singer.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Queen - Somebody To Love.....?
    And Killer Queen, amongst numerous Queen songs. Brian was the master at that.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited February 2014

I think Journey's "Don't stop believin" does that to a point

For me , the "King" of this is Ian Bairnson who's mainly known for his work with The Alan Parsons Project, but also played in Pilot and with Kate Bush - that's him on the end solo of "Wuthering Heights"  which demonstrates this wonderfully:-

Solo at 3.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4 -

Turn of a friendly card (solo at 1.19) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsVn_ujHt4

and at 2.56 on "Games people play" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWBw_gupXE

"People get ready" (Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart) has been mentioned and that's a goodie but no one has mentioned The Carpenters' "Goodbye to love"

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Sadly, I have no idea what Mirror the Vocal means, but the guitar solo in Hello seems to have a relationship of sorts with the tune (what a f*cking concept Eh?)

For reasons I can't explain I have chosen to link to a bloke on youtube instead of Lionel Ritchie. But he plays it nicely enough and I want to draw your attention to the way he looks up at the end, like a small child seeking approval having finished pooing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7xgHoyXkQU

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    @Skipped , Presumably where the solo follows the same melody as the vocal melody.
    Wichita Lineman?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    sinbaadi said:
    @Skipped , Presumably where the solo follows the same melody as the vocal melody.
    Wichita Lineman?
    Yes - A very good example. In fact that is one of my favourite tracks of all time (listening to it right now).

• Widget Alignment is a good one @sinbaadi

Thanks for that track "The Turn of a Friendly Card", hadn't heard that before, it's a lovely tune, gonna have to listen to more APP.