Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Solos That Mirror the Vocal Melody

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    edited February 2014
    Roxy Music - Jealous Guy

At 1:50ish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Johnnyurq

You mentioned Dave Colquhoun and Bow Wow Wow, would this be him loik?

I did a Google image check and it's hard to tell.

This has to be one off the best Bass lines ever in a song. I think the guy is called Leigh Gorman.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nice one @sinbaadi ;

I knew there was another famous one knocking around my head somewhere and you dug it out :-)

The Sax too.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited February 2014
    @Bellycaster

I think he played with Bow Wow Wow a good bit later and you are right on the bass player.

Do you remember the kerfuffle of Annabella nude pose on the album cover and other such controversy?

The show could only have been run by Malcolm Mclaren.
  • @Johnnyurq

I remember the Album Cover very well, let's just say although you couldn't really see much, she was a very "Developed" girl for 15.

;-)

She was very precocious for sure and I seem to remember her mum tried to sue etc, can't remember how she got on though. 

Imagine the fuss if it was to happen nowadays.

Still, not as bad as the Scorps Virgin Killer.
  • I have no idea what you mean, Virgin Killer? Scorpions? honest I don't!

;)
  • Lol @Lukeage

Carlos not high up on your list of Fave Geeetarists ;-)
    He's high up there on the technical side of things and I love his tone but I don't like the way he uses what he has! It's the same with Yngwie Malmsteen. He has clear talent but he just dribbles it out everywhere and it screams LOOK WHAT I CAN DO GUYS!!! And then... *poof* - song ruined!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2014
    @Johnnyurq

You mentioned Dave Colquhoun and Bow Wow Wow, would this be him loik?

I did a Google image check and it's hard to tell.

This has to be one off the best Bass lines ever in a song. I think the guy is called Leigh Gorman.
    @johnnurq - I was in TVC for close to a year but I'd known them for about 4-5 years. They were nothing like The Vapors as we had a girl singer, now the wife of band leader, Dave Fenton, and sounded like a rockier version of the Eurythmics. To this day, that's the best band I've ever been in, but all good things come to an end and we couldn't get a deal. I believe the drummer is now a percussion lecturer or head of percussion at the Brighton Institute. Dave Fenton probably gets a fair few quid from the evergreen "Turning Japanese" but is now a Musician's Union lawyer.

@Bellycaster - no, that's not Dave. That's the original guitarist. He did some comeback gigs with them much later on. He wore a kilt and played a 335.
    Here he is playing Ozzy stuff with Lee Pomeroy (Take That) on bass

edited February 2014
    I have no idea what you mean, Virgin Killer? Scorpions? honest I don't!

;)
    Quite right plead dumb (easy for me) and they will go away. Oh hi NSA and GCHQ type dudes, we know nowt really.

That sounds like a lot of fun and a hoot. I have heard a few and TVC tracks and enjoyed them, maybe you played on the ones I have heard.

Saw a thing a while back where Dave Fenton dispelled the masturbatory myth of Turning Japanese, shame it must have been tempting to leave it running on.

A few bands I was in since back in those days have covered the song which was always well received by the punters. Most singers alluded to the naughty mythos of the song now sadly incorrectly.

Still it has become an bone fide evergreen and Dave Fenton must do OK out of it, rightly so.

From his intention when writing it I guess it would be nearer to a scary obsessed stalker song nowadays.

• @Kebabkid

He is pretty Shit Hot.

I'm a bit "Meh" with Santana, like you say, he is very very good, I was never taken with his tone too much, kind of too mushy for me. I think it's Bucket who says the same about Schon and his unnecessary mid melodic speed wanks, I think you both have a point with both Guitarists.

I was only 2 miles from GCHQ last year when I went to Bude, I don't know how I got back to Sheffield, they must have been on strike that week or I'd have been a "Missing Person" now.

Phew!
    They can read your mind you know, special lasers pick up brainwaves. (Not really I made that up, I hope)

Well we would all be screwed then.
  • johnnyurq said:
    They can read your mind you know, special lasers pick up brainwaves. (Not really I made that up, I hope)

Well we would all be screwed then.
    I'd be OK, I don't have any Brainwaves. I'd screw up their machines.

8-}

• I'm a bit "Meh" with Santana, like you say, he is very very good, I was never taken with his tone too much, kind of too mushy for me. I think it's Bucket who says the same about Schon and his unnecessary mid melodic speed wanks, I think you both have a point with both Guitarists.

Come again? I like Neal Schon (with Journey and his solo albums as well!) Hahaha :P I particularly like his "I on U" album - the synths and pads and the kind of electronic/atmospheric backup to his guitar playing is really eclectic and it really works! :D
  • Just as I was putting that reply in there I forgot about a really important one... it's not a guitar solo per se but the lead guitar melody line in parts mirrors the vocal line!

And I completely overlooked it...

"Beating Around the Bush" by AC/DC (from the album Highway to Hell)

Awesome song.

Funny though I forgot about it and then I was listening to Phil X and the Drills, their latest album "We Play Instruments n Sh!t" there's a track on there called Stink and it's a total rip off of Beating Around the Bush! Sigh... And there was me thinking Phil had come up with something really cool/totally insane (yes, it is a totally nuts/out there twist on a similar riff) but it's still not original. :(

Phil's let me down. First time ever. Still love that guy though. He's insane.
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
    Spread Your Wings (outro solo) - Queen
    Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
    What Is And What Should Never Be - Led Zep
  • Lukeage said:

I'm a bit "Meh" with Santana, like you say, he is very very good, I was never taken with his tone too much, kind of too mushy for me. I think it's Bucket who says the same about Schon and his unnecessary mid melodic speed wanks, I think you both have a point with both Guitarists.

Come again? I like Neal Schon (with Journey and his solo albums as well!) Hahaha :P I particularly like his "I on U" album - the synths and pads and the kind of electronic/atmospheric backup to his guitar playing is really eclectic and it really works! :D
    @Lukeage

Lol, you misunderstand me. I love Neal Schon/Journey too, I just recalled that Bucket (Young Connor) once made a similar observation about Neal Schon as you did with Santana, ie: the unnecessary fast bits/widdly bits thrown in to song/solo.

Not that I want to speak for @Bucket but I think he likes Neal Schon in every other way.

He should see this now so he can throw in his 2p.

I agree to an extent about that trait if his, but I love most of what Neal has done, IIRC, Neal was in Santana in the early days.

:)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751

Lol, you misunderstand me. I love Neal Schon/Journey too, I just recalled that Bucket (Young Connor) once made a similar observation about Neal Schon as you did with Santana, ie: the unnecessary fast bits/widdly bits thrown in to song/solo.

Not that I want to speak for @Bucket but I think he likes Neal Schon in every other way.

You're quite right - I don't like his tendency to start wanking in the middle of a really nice melody - the solo at the end of Faithfully is the example I tend to use. It's just unnecessary. The best solos of his are the ones where he doesn't shred - Don't Stop Believing obviously... Who's Crying Now is a great one too. That being said, I love his fast, dramatic soloing in Stone In Love.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bellycaster;156727" said:
    Lukeage said:

Bellycaster said:

@Lukeage

@Lukeage

I agree to an extent about that trait if his, but I love most of what Neal has done, IIRC, Neal was in Santana in the early days.

:)
    Journey were basically the original Santana band, they split with Carlos ( or vice versa) when he wanted to go in a more fusion direction.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bastille Day by Rush - the outro solo is very close.