fender mustang 1 amp

woodyspurswoodyspurs Frets: 0
I have just bought a Fender Mustang 1 amp and have set it up as follows:
From headphone jack on PC to Aux port on Mustang 1 amp
Playing through some effects pedals but experiencing crackling and noise and low volume from guitar (bearing in mind I play along with backing tracks from my PC)

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me any advice?

note. this amp has a master volume control. plus a volume control.
hope someone can help. as i am not very techno.

Thanks.
Paul.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I sometimes play my iPod or iPad through the aux on my Mustang 1 and there's a healthy level there. I'd assume your PC would have a similar level out. 

Mine hates pedals and almost anything off my board sounds pretty crap through it so I wouldn't bother with the pedals.

I'd certainly try the guitar straight into the amp. If that solves the guitar level problem then it's the pedals. If not then have you got anything else you can try your guitar through or anything else you can try into the amp? If the low level persists with the guitar and PC then and the guitar is fine elsewhere then seems like a problem with the amp. I can't think of anything on the settings that would lead to low levels (other than turning the Master,  Volume or Gain knobs down - although only the first of those affects the aux in). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    If it's just the aux in music that's doing it then it probably is just a volume level in your PC.   They can fool you, the PC itself has an output volume as well as whatever player you're using on the PC.  I ran into this myself(also a Mustang 1).    One other thing might be the cord you're using to go from PC to amp.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I have 2 questions that i hope you  can help with.

1 does anyone know of a practice amp that i can use headphones with.
    plus play backing tracks on my computer. also with good sustain.
    I am currently using a fender 15 amp g dec amp. a very good amp but i want to move on to 
    a clean channel amp with more sustain. with headphones.
    I want to play a David Gillmour clean sound.

2. I am not very up on amps but told the best amps are tube amps for a clean sound.
    but most do not have headphone ports.
     I live upstairs and need to practice with headphones on but i cannot get the required sustain.
    I sometimes think amp manufacturers think most guitarists have large rooms with no neighbours to think about. I think there could be a market for amp manufacturers with this in mind. I do use some effects pedals with my fender g dec amp but still not the right sound.

Hope you can help. But please be patient as i said not very  techno.

. Thanks.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Besides the Mustang 1, I also have a Boss Katana 50 that I use just as you describe with great results.   I run through my bands repertoire using mp3's from my computer and using a distortion pedal and volume pedal on the guitar.  I'm surprised you're not getting good results with the Mustang though.  Do you use the Fuse software and the USB?

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Woody in your situation id just go to ebay, look up line 6 pod 2.0, this will allow you to plug gtr, headphones and mp3 player in and you can get em cheap as chips.