HH IC100 in a pedal

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
I'm fairly sure this doesn't exist (I'd be very happy to be told otherwise) but these HH amps were the sound of Wilko era Dr Feelgood and Daniel Ash in Bauhaus as well as some Marc Bolan (The Slider album I gather), some early Rush (apparently) and loads of punk, new wave, two tone and goth bands. If they can make a reasonable facsimile of a valve Marshall, Vox or Fender in a pedal then something derived from the fairly early solid state design of the HH ought to be doable. That slightly farty distortion, that never quite clean clean channel. 
Something you can plug into a boutique valve amp and make it sound like an SS combo from the 70s that's been rescued off a skip. I think some people would like that :bleep_bloop: 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    Yes, I would. I'd quite like the late-70s/early-80s Peavey 'Saturation' circuit in a pedal too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    There is nothing (or at least very little, maybe there are HH and Peavey models buried in the Helix somewhere)being made that does this stuff now and if you find the actual amps they are quite old and probably not the best all rounders. However, these are familiar sounds and those listening to Marc Bolan, Dr Feelgood or The Buzzcocks are now of the weekend warrior/disposable income generation (although I don't know what happened to my disposable income). I think there would be a reasonable level of interest. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    King of Tone. Sorted.
     :) 
    Sassafras said:
    King of Tone. Sorted.
     :) 
    :frown: 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Nearest thing out there is the Tronographic Boxidizer (or its bass-centric predecessor, the Rusty Box), which is based on a '70s Traynor SS amp (the TS50B, I think).  There's a review of it in PG here.  Not sure if they have any distribution or dealers in the UK, but they do pop up used from time to time...I bought mine off this very forum about a year ago.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    tFB Trader
    I'm not that familiar with the HH IC 100, but would the JHS Colour Box be able to do something if that nature (Not that I advocate buying JHS pedals).
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Not so long ago you could get an entire H|H amp head for less than most overdrive pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I remember repairing these in the nineties, the band I was in had 2 of them which were used for monitoring duties.  Strange physical design in as much as the boards used to be in vertical. Other than that they were just typical SS amps with opamp pre amp and discrete tranny power .... any distortion would have come from clipping the opamps. 
    Got to say, I don't remember anything great about them other than the fact they were robust and reasonably reliable. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    The original amps do seem to be edging into collectible territory which might suggest somebody, somewhere likes that sound. I'm not sure it's as distinctive as,say,that Boxidizer but it's part of that pallet of tones that amp manufacturers have worked hard to avoid yet is quite distinctive of a certain era. I read that Wilko Johnson's combo had incorrectly wired replacement speakers so it was quieter than it should have been and so he was pushing the power amp stage in order to be heard which would tally with what Danny says. 

I do do have an op amp based fuzz pedal somewhere so I might try that out again at low-key gain, just for those moments when I imagine I'm in the Buzzcocks. 

The Colour Box is an eye watering amount of money for an overdrive, it does have an active EQ which was part of the HH charm (I think).
    The original amps do seem to be edging into collectible territory which might suggest somebody, somewhere likes that sound.
    I sold an IC100 head to Lou Barlow a couple of years ago.

Really :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Nearest thing out there is the Tronographic Boxidizer (or its bass-centric predecessor, the Rusty Box), which is based on a '70s Traynor SS amp (the TS50B, I think).  There's a review of it in PG here.  Not sure if they have any distribution or dealers in the UK, but they do pop up used from time to time...I bought mine off this very forum about a year ago.
    Not really a surprise that something Traynor based is bass centric (no treble)?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    Er, the TS50B is a bass amp. There's no particular lack of treble with Traynors in general, even the bass amps.

R.
    thecolourbox said:

Er, the TS50B is a bass amp. There's no particular lack of treble with Traynors in general, even the bass amps.
    I knew that would be right over the heads of most of the forum ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17574
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    thecolourbox said:

I believe that Traynor's bass has that boom boom that all the boys like.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    ICBM said:
    thecolourbox said:

Ooohhhhhhhh, I geddit. 

...goes to make more coffee...

R.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

R.
    I used a ts50b for guitar for a few years through an old HH 212, it sounded great! 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I used to have an IC100 2x12 combo.. the one with the sustain switch on it

it's the only music related thing I've ever sold that I regretted..
    and I regretted it within days...
    play every note as if it were your first
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    ICBM said:
    thecolourbox said:

Ooohhhhhhhh, I geddit. 

...goes to make more coffee...

R.
    Lol sorry, I couldn't resist just to see if people got it or not. Maybe I should put a disclaimer in my signature that probably around 75% of my posts on here are actually reworded music lyrics ;)

Back on topic a bit though, it does generally seem that all the modeling kit or the amp-in-a-box pedals go for the classic sounds and not the slightly more obscure sounds that do also sound good in the right context. There would definitely be a market for pedal makers that target the sounds of these sorts of amps and drive sounds
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    ICBM said:
    Yes, I would. I'd quite like the late-70s/early-80s Peavey 'Saturation' circuit in a pedal too.
    Yes, I loved it on my 1980/1 Peavey Studio Pro 40, especially with the 'pull thick' on the treble control. Really fattened a Tele up a treat!

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Our keys player still uses an HH pa head and swears by it. Slave out to the PA job done.